Android Updates, Battery Drain and Factory Reset

natey2

I've been using Android since v2.x on a Motorola Droid X.

Every time a Carrier (AT&T, Verizon and possibly T-Mobile too) release an Android update for the phone, battery drain becomes a problem.

And the solution is always to do a Factory Reset to fix it (and it usually solves the battery drain problem, until the next Android update from the Carrier).

This is a really sad situation for Android phones.

Can you imagine what would happen if Microsoft told everyone to do a Factory Reset on their home PC every time they released a minor Windows Update?

Nobody would put up with that nonsense in the PC world.

I wish Google, or whoever writes these Android updates, finds a way to fix this problem instead of having all users do a Factory Reset.

That is almost as bad as having to reboot your device/PC every day.

All replies

• smplyunprdctble

If you're going to a new Android version (Jellybean->KitKat->Lollipop->Marshmallow), it's not a "minor update."  It's no different from going from Windows XP to Windows 7 to Windows 8 to Windows 10.  And, Microsoft recommends fresh installs to avoid performance problems in those cases

Truth be told, it's generally the apps that are installed that cause the problem.  Usually an updated version of the app hasn't made it to the device (which happens when you FR and reinstall) or there's a malconfiguration that the app doesn't look for after an upgrade because the developer was lazy or doesn't know to check if changes need to be made.

I've had a device go from K to L to M without the need of a FR.  That tells me the problem isn't Google and the default OS (as it was a Nexus device).  There's a possibility it's the manufacturer enhancements (Samsung's TouchWIZ, HTC Sense, etc), but my guess is it's apps installed on the device.