VoLTE Causes battery drain

I have been getting horrible battery drain issues on my LG G4, which android battery usage monitor attributed to "Cell standby". I am very technical and tried to diagnose this myself, so desperate to try a factory reset, which did not help. I found a suggestion somewhere to try turning off VoLTE, so I did (and rebooted). Amazingly my battery drain is back to less than 1% hour when idle as opposed to 5%+ per hour with VoLTE turned on.

This option can be found in Settings>Call

Does Tmo actually read these forums?

All replies

• matesny

Re: VoLTE Causes battery drain

High Battery Drain from Cell Standby After Android 6.0 Upgrade

Yes Tmo folks read these forums but this is a user forum, official help comes from T-Force, Contact Us link above.

It is no secret that cell standby drains battery, especially when you have weak signals and especially when you have "many" weak signals around you. Try turning off radios when screen is off.

• Re: VoLTE Causes battery drain

I knew this was not the official help channel, but was interested if Tmo was looking at this because quite frankly I dont have time open a help ticket. My issue is solved by turning off VoLTE. If Tmo wants to investigate it, they can check it out themselves. Thanks for your answer though.

I'm also aware that a week signal will cause faster battery drain. My point was that in the exact same conditions, location, usage, having VoLTE off vs on made a 5 fold difference or more. Maybe weak signal is the cause of excess battery usage with VoLTE on, but that doesn't mean it can't be addressed some way. I.E. better logic to determine if VoLTE should be used if signal is so low that it will cause 5+ times battery usage. And for those experiencing this issue, turning off VoLTE is a simple and low impact workaround.

• matesny

I agree that the issue can be addressed but not by T-Mobile, not directly by T-Mobile anyways. LG would be developing your software and they'd be the ones to address these issues.

Turning off VoLTE may resolve battery drain but it also is not advisable on T-Mobile network especially if you live in a Band 12 area. Hopefully a software update would address it in the near future!

• Re: VoLTE Causes battery drain

No doubt. Having a carrier branded phone, thought, I expect Tmo deal with LG.

I'm curious, what are the implications of turning off VoLTE beyond lower quality calls and inability to utilize LTE data while on a call? Lack of voice service in those areas?

thanks again for your responses

• matesny

It is an issue with Band 12. No fallback spectrum as 700MHz band is an outlier in the spectrum. No fallback spectrum means the phone will not be able to tap onto another carrier's signal for a 911 call. While you are on Band 12, 911 calls must be done using VoLTE. Some manufacturers completely dropped Band 12 support due to T-Mobile's requirement for certification.