garybelk

I'm in the Caribbean in the Turks and Caicos Islands. I cannot to connect to a carrier.  My phone just says "no service" . The country is on the T-Mobile list  of countries where they have coverage.  I've called T-Mobile from a landline and have filed a report.  The technician took me through all the things they could think of.  It's a pretty popular destination.  If it is not something unique to my phone it's hard to believe that I'm the only T-Mobile customer on the island.  Has anyone had a similar experience?

All replies

• strkx

Re: International Roaming

I'm not a T-mobile rep, just another fellow customer but I wanted to chime in and try to help. T-mobile (as all carriers do) depend on other local carriers for roaming. Sometimes they use different frequencies for communication (also known as bands) and not all phone models are compatible with these. It could happen that your phone is compatible with T-mobile's network but not with the roaming network. Newer phones (particularly Nexus and iPhones) are compatible with a wider variety of global networks but it still helps to check before you travel that your particular model (not just general model, but exact model number or version) works with the local carriers in your destination.

• drnewcomb2

There are two carriers in the T&C Islands. You should perform a manual network search and try to manually connect to each one. Just to be sure, you do have a postpaid account, not a prepaid one? Right? Have you roamed internationally before?

• garybelk

The carriers are Digcel and Lime, formally Cable and Wireless.  My phone wlll connect to neither of them.  I've tried manually and automatic.  I hope it is a temporary issue as I gave up my unlimited US data plan with ATT (they no longer offer unlimited data to new customers) to move to T-Mobile.

• drnewcomb2

garybelk wrote:

The carriers are Digcel and Lime, formally Cable and Wireless.  My phone wlll connect to neither of them.  I've tried manually and automatic.  I hope it is a temporary issue as I gave up my unlimited US data plan with ATT (they no longer offer unlimited data to new customers) to move to T-Mobile.

Keep in mind that your WiFi Calling should still work and T-Mobile's international support can be reached at +1-505-998-3793. This is a free call if made from your T-Mobile phone, either roaming or WiFi Calling.

This situation is an example of why I recommend anyone going abroad have a communications backup plan.

• kellrobinson

How do you start a thread?!

My roaming doesn't work and there's no way to post a question about it.

• drnewcomb2

On the left side of the screen there should be a link that says "Start a discussion".  You click that link.

There is a sub-forum for international issues. It's under "Plans" and is a bit hard to find:

International

• kellrobinson

God damn T-Mobile.  Their techs refused to do anything and this forum is unusable.  There is no "start a discussion" link so I clicked Plans at the top.  It's still impossible to post.  I was only able to do so by clicking your link to "International."

I wonder if I'll ever see the replies?

• drnewcomb2

Some people, myself included, have commented in the past that the Jive forum software is a tad counter-intuitive (takes some getting used to). I think I know where you are that you don't see the "Start Discussion" link. Look for the tab above the topics that say's "Content" and make sure it's clicked. This is a peculiarity of the "Magenta Lounge" forum.

• tmo_phillip

Discussion successfully moved from Magenta Lounge to International