jjw_44883

I just bought the HTC One A9 Directly from HTC (Buy the HTC One A9 | HTC United States) and even though it is branded for T-Mobile, AT&T, and Sprint or you can get the device Unlocked. According to T-Mobile CS they have never sold the device and does not plan on selling the device or supporting the device. I would like to know what is going on as I get no help from CS. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

All replies

• stevetjr

Re: No HTC One A9 support

It is not branded if you click on the link for FAQ it there is a question as to why the logo's from the carriers and it specifically says "they will just ensure compatibility with said carrier" but they are all unlocked and don't have any of the carrier software and most likely some of the carrier specific OS tweaks which especially for T-Mobile might limit some features of their network. CS is correct they have never sold this device or officially supported it so this is a essentially a BYOP as far as they are concerned and while they may offer some help as far as helping you know whether it will work on their network they won't guarantee anything with it since it is not a "branded" phone.

Meet the Unlocked HTC One A9 | HTC United States

• jjw_44883

I am sorry but according to HTC CS if you select AT&T T-Mobile or Sprint in the "Select Carrier" choices it is locked to that carrier. However if you select the Unlocked choice one is supposed to be able to simply insert the nano sim of the preferred carrier and it should work.

• stevetjr

Well according to the document right on their website:

Why do you have individual carrier logos on your buy page?

Many customers already have service through their preferred wireless carrier.

When you select your wireless carrier on the HTC One A9 buy page, we'll make sure your unlocked phone is compatible.

• jjw_44883

You’ll be able to switch carriers at will with the HTC One A9 unlocked edition.

Simply insert your AT&T or T-Mobile SIM to begin using your HTC One A9.* Sprint compatibility requires separate hardware – HTC One A9 customers switching to Sprint will need to purchase a compatible device. Simply insert your AT&T or T-Mobile SIM to begin using your HTC One A9.*

Right on the site if you read tab "Value"

• tidbits

Read the FAQ the rep told you the wrong info. The FAQ is in writing.

• jjw_44883

You guys are assuming that i have the Unlocked version when I insert my old Straight Talk nano sim in the phone it asks me for the unlock code same thing if I put in my friends AT&T nano simI put my T-Mobile nano sim in it works fine everything works except for the T-Mobile app and still not T-Mobile support.

• jjw_44883

You guys need to read the title of the page you are posting/referring to @stevetjr @tidbits as HTC sells 3 versions of the phone that are carrier locked (Branded) and only 1 version is Unlocked

• tmo_mike_c

Hey just wanted to help out here and clear things up. Sorry for any confusion we caused, but the T-Mobile rep you spoke with about your phone was correct. T-Mobile hasn't sold this particular HTC phone and we have no information saying that we will.  As for supporting your phone, we can offer steps for entering the correct settings to give your device the best chance of working on our network. You should also know when you use a phone not purchased through an official T-Mobile channel, the services can be hit or miss. Check out our Setup guide to Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) to find more info on bringing your own device and our disclaimer for Non T-Mobile phones. If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

• jjw_44883

Then T-Mobile should tell HTC that the need to not sell phones locked to the T-Mobile network if T-Mobile is not going to sell certain devices.

• tmo_mike_c

I get your point of view on that. Like HTC, there are other manufacturers that sell unlocked phones not tied to any carrier. So, seeing a site like this isn't unusual. Speaking freely, I think the option to select a carrier could be a way to give the buyer some piece of mind that it'll work on their current carrier. stevetjr touched on this point in the earlier post, but their answer to the question, "Why do you have individual carrier logos on your buy page?" makes me think this.

Meet the Unlocked HTC One A9 | HTC United States

• jjw_44883

If that were true then by putting in an AT&T nano sim in my device I wouldn't be getting the request for the unlock code on my device and the manufacturer would not give the option to select a carrier. With this being said I do know that this device has not been certified to work with Verizon's network else Verizon would be listed as being compatible even though it can operate on Verizon's network according to the specs. And since this HTC One A9 is carrier locked to T-Mobile there should be some support provided as HTC says to contact T-Mobile. Had I known that this would be an issue I would have bought the unlocked version.

• tidbits

You need to bring it up with HTC. It says right there in writing. In a court of law the writing right there has more weight than what a CSR will ever tell you.

• jjw_44883

tidbits wrote:

You need to bring it up with HTC. It says right there in writing. In a court of law the writing right there has more weight than what a CSR will ever tell you.

and if you read the full page it says Unlocked HTC One A9 and only apply's to that version of the device

• tidbits

FYI T-Mobile DOES NOT lock phones that they do not sell or have not sold. You can't get the A9 from T-Mobile at all. Therefore it shouldn't be locked in the first place :)

• jjw_44883

tidbits wrote:

FYI T-Mobile DOES NOT lock phones that they do not sell or have not sold. You can't get the A9 from T-Mobile at all. Therefore it shouldn't be locked in the first place

If T-Mobile does not lock phones then one should not need to request a sim unlock and would not need this page Unlocked Sim Card Policy & Requirements | T-Mobile

• tidbits

Out of context

I said T-Mobile doesn't lock phones THEY DO NOT SELL OR HAVE EVER SOLD.

The A9 isn't sold by or have ever been sold by T-Mobile therefore the lock us from HTC and not T-Mobile.

• jjw_44883

tidbits wrote:

Out of context

I said T-Mobile doesn't lock phones THEY DO NOT SELL OR HAVE EVER SOLD.

The A9 isn't sold by or have ever been sold by T-Mobile therefore the lock us from HTC and not T-Mobile.

If that were true then when I had my HTC ONE M8 I should have been able to use it with my friend's AT&T sim with out having to unlock it....however when I insert his sim it asks for the carrier unlock code

• tidbits

M8 was sold by T-Mobile.

IPhone was sold by T-Mobile

A9 not sold by T-Mobile.

There's a difference and it's called subsidization. EIP or contract is the reason they have locks. Since T-Mobile doesn't sell the device there is no subsidization so no need for a subsidy lock.

• jjw_44883

FYI I get my devices Directly from the manufacturer regardless of the device or Wireless carrier that I select at a better price than T-Mobile AT&T Sprint or Verizon can offer I paid $400 plus tax for the M8 New from HTC in Dec 2014 and selected T-Mobile as the carrier and still had to request a sim unlock.

tidbits wrote:

M8 was sold by T-Mobile.

IPhone was sold by T-Mobile

A9 not sold by T-Mobile.

There's a difference and it's called subsidization. EIP or contract is the reason they have locks. Since T-Mobile doesn't sell the device there is no subsidization so no need for a subsidy lock.

• e2k

EIP is not a subsidy, although phones bought with under EIP are typically locked until paid off (VZW is an exception). Furthermore, even phones that are bought outright are typically locked until they are eligible for unlock under the carrier's terms. I guarantee you that any phone you buy from TMO will be locked out of the box, regardless of whether you have an EIP or buy it outright.

Again, HTC misadvertised the phone. This is not TMO's doing or responsibility. As tidbits suggested, you should return the phone for a replcement/refund. If they refuse, call the issuing bank of your credit card and dispute the charge per false advertising.

• jjw_44883

And again Due to DMCA HTC is not responsible and CANNOT unlock the device as the device as they would be in violation of the DMCA

• tmo_mike_c

This is going a little off the rails here, so let's try and reel this back in, shall we?

This phone isn't one that T-Mobile sells, so there's no way we can request an unlock for it. HTC would have to help you with this since they are saying their device can work on our network and you bought it from them. T-Mobile can't guarantee the services will work on our network regardless of what the manufacturer puts on their website. The only phones we're sure of are the ones that we sell through one of our official channels. Since verbiage on HTC website isn't controlled by T-Mobile, we can't change what it says. Having a health debate about HTC choice of words and carrier selection option is fine, but this won't get the device unlocked. As for supporting this phone, T-Mobile can provide help with basic troubleshooting and making sure the phone has the correct settings. Any concerns with unlocking the phone or how things are worded on HTC's site have to be taken up with the manufacturer.

• jjw_44883

And with that also being said IF TMO is not going to sell the device then TMO need to let HTC Not to have the option to select TMO as the carrier ELSE I am not the only person that will have this issue.

tmo_mike_c wrote:

This is going a little off the rails here, so let's try and reel this back in, shall we?

This phone isn't one that T-Mobile sells, so there's no way we can request an unlock for it. HTC would have to help you with this since they are saying their device can work on our network and you bought it from them. T-Mobile can't guarantee the services will work on our network regardless of what the manufacturer puts on their website. The only phones we're sure of are the ones that we sell through one of our official channels. Since verbiage on HTC website isn't controlled by T-Mobile, we can't change what it says. Having a health debate about HTC choice of words and carrier selection option is fine, but this won't get the device unlocked. As for supporting this phone, T-Mobile can provide help with basic troubleshooting and making sure the phone has the correct settings. Any concerns with unlocking the phone or how things are worded on HTC's site have to be taken up with the manufacturer.

• tidbits

jjw_44883 wrote:

You guys are assuming that i have the Unlocked version when I insert my old Straight Talk nano sim in the phone it asks me for the unlock code same thing if I put in my friends AT&T nano simI put my T-Mobile nano sim in it works fine everything works except for the T-Mobile app and still not T-Mobile support.

They all SHOULD be unlocked.  That website even states this. I bolded the statement that matters.  You chose the T-Mobile logo one, and this explains why they have it. As for the T-Mobile app not working.  I have put that app on a lot of international devices and it works fine for me.  What error message are you getting?

When you select your wireless carrier on the HTC One A9 buy page, we'll make sure your unlocked phone is compatible.

• jjw_44883

jjw_44883 wrote:

They all SHOULD be unlocked.  That website even states this. I bolded the statement that matters.  You chose the T-Mobile logo one, and this explains why they have it. As for the T-Mobile app not working.  I have put that app on a lot of international devices and it works fine for me.  What error message are you getting?

Key word is UNLOCKED and when you buy directly from HTC you HAVE THE CHOICE to buy an Unlocked version if you do not choose the Unlocked version then the carrier you select is the carrier that the sim is locked to said carrier

• tidbits

Again NO... Stop being stubborn. T-Mobile DOES NOT device they don't sell. HTC specifically stated if YOU READ the question. The Logo is nothing more than them saying they'll make sure YOUR device will work on that carrier and it is still unlocked. If it wasn't unlocked why would they add that underline portion?

Contact HTC and tell them to fix the problem or get a refund for false advertising.

• tmo_mike_c

Since HTC is mentioning that the device would be unlocked, they would be the best source to explain the need to have a carrier selection on the buy page. They would also need to uncover the mystery as to why the AT&T SIM would even ask for a code if it's sold unlocked. As tidbits mentioned, T-Mobile can only request an unlock for a device you purchase from us. My question is (and I know only, HTC can answer this) why have a carrier option in the first place? If it's sold unlocked, you'd think this option wouldn't even be necessary. That's just my opinion.

• jjw_44883

tmo_mike_c wrote:

Since HTC is mentioning that the device would be unlocked, they would be the best source to explain the need to have a carrier selection on the buy page. They would also need to uncover the mystery as to why the AT&T SIM would even ask for a code if it's sold unlocked. As tidbits mentioned, T-Mobile can only request an unlock for a device you purchase from us. My question is (and I know only, HTC can answer this) why have a carrier option in the first place? If it's sold unlocked, you'd think this option wouldn't even be necessary. That's just my opinion.

the same could be said of the iPhone's as they have the same policy's set in place as HTC

• tidbits

The iPhone is sold by T-Mobile...

• jjw_44883

tidbits wrote:

The iPhone is sold by T-Mobile...

and directly by Apple and to use it on one of Sprint's subsidiary company networks it requires to be sim unlocked by Sprint otherwise you cannot use it on Boost or Virgin

• tmo_mike_c

Sure. Since T-Mobile does sell the iPhone, there would be no need to buy it unlocked from the manufacturer. If you do buy one straight from Apple, the same terms in the BYOD link I posted would apply.

With what I mentioned before, the phones we sell are designed to work on our network. We welcome our customers to bring their own device to T-Mobile. We do want folks to know it may not work as well as our branded devices do.

• jjw_44883

tmo_mike_c wrote:

Sure. Since T-Mobile does sell the iPhone, there would be no need to buy it unlocked from the manufacturer. If you do buy one straight from Apple, the same terms in the BYOD link I posted would apply.

With what I mentioned before, the phones we sell are designed to work on our network. We welcome our customers to bring their own device to T-Mobile. We do want folks to know it may not work as well as our branded devices do.

and with that being said all I did was put aside the T-Mobile sim that came with the A9 in the box and popped in the sim that came with my M8, But again the question is Why is there no support for the device even though when the A9 boots up T-Mobile goes across the screen along with all the "bloatware" pre-installed?

• jjw_44883

T-Mobile needs to tell HTC not to have them listed for the carrier for the devices that T-Mobile does not plan on carrying when buying directly from HTC as now I have a T-Mobile network locked phone that can not be carrier unlocked.

• tidbits

Again the FAQ tells you why the logo is there.

• jjw_44883

HTC A9 Buying Screen.png

• jjw_44883

HTC A9 Buying Screen 2.png

And when I check the IMEI I get this:

We do not recognize the IMEI number you entered. Please try again or contact Customer Care at 1-877-453-1304.
                                                                                                          Check out T-Mobile’s great selection of cell phones >
                                                                                                            • tidbits

Yes the reason why it doesn't have the IMEI in the system is BECAUSE they don't sell. They have no clue what it is... This goes with ALL unlocked phones. HTC botched the pooch and you need to bring it up with them.

• tidbits

Again back to the beginning... It is already explained by HTCs FAQ page. T-Mobile has nothing to do with it. Contact then do an exchange, or get your money back.

• jjw_44883

Check the date the page was last modified because it does not list Verizon (VzW) in the supported networks but if you look at the updated Tech Specs tab found: Buy the HTC One A9 | HTC United States Verizon is listed.

Network2

AT&T,TMUS,VzW: 2G GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900; 3G UMTS 850/AWS(1700)/1900/2100; 4G LTE Bands FDD 2,3,4,5,7,12,13,17,29
                                                                                                                  SPCS: 2G GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900; 3G UMTS 850/AWS(1700)/1900/2100; CDMA BC0/BC1/BC10 4G LTE Bands FDD 2,4,5,12,25,26 TDD: 41

• tidbits

Doesn't matter at this point.  HTC already explained, and in writing.  That holds more weight than what a CSR rep told you, and what you think.  Get a refund or exchange it for an unlocked one.  That's your only option as T-Mobile has NOTHING to do with the device.

• jjw_44883

tidbits wrote:

Again back to the beginning... It is already explained by HTCs FAQ page. T-Mobile has nothing to do with it. Contact then do an exchange, or get your money back.

And you realize that the page is titled UNLOCLKED HTC One A9 which is ONLY FOR UNLOCKED Version NOT FOR All Versions Which Is translated in layman's terms and When one purchases the device for a select carrier regardless of whether or not said carrier or the manufacturer if the carrier is specified it is the carrier's responsibility to handle the device unless there is a defect in manufacturing and then it is the manufacturer's responsibility if the device is under warranty. And since the device was made to operate ON the T-Mobile network and has the T-Mobile "Bloatware" per-installed HTC IS NOT legally responsible for the device once the device has been sold unless there is a recall issued for a defect. Nice try I have already been through this before with HTC when I had Boost as a Carrier and ended up with a paperweight when I tried to switch to T-Mobile.

• tidbits

OK I am done. If you stopped and paid attention to what I am saying you'd see HTC is the problem. I wish you the best of luck and I guess the only way to learn is to take it up with an Attorney General and take it against T-Mobile to find out what I told you all along was the truth

T-Mobile can not subsidy unlock devices they don't sell. They won't know what device it is because they don't sell it. They can't support a device they don't sell or don't know about. HTC advertised and explained that logo the device is unlocked and they put more effort into it supporting that carrier. 

Best of luck to you.

• tidbits

Also if you read the FAQ it says you can remove that bloatware and it wasn't preinstalled. It was downloaded during the setup  process much like the Nexus 5 and Google's payload system they introduced since Android 5.0.

• e2k

jjw_44883 wrote:

...... if the carrier is specified it is the carrier's responsibility to handle the device unless there is a defect in manufacturing...

Under what law/regulation?

I could build and sell a phone and claim it works with T-Mobile, but that would not require T-Mobile to support it. Moreover, when something is not sold as advertised, it is the advertiser that is at fault.

Similarly, I could sell an oil filter that claims to work with 2016 Ford Mustangs. If it didn't fit your engine, would you approach Ford for support?

• jjw_44883

Cell Phone Unlocking | Federal Communications Commission

e2k wrote:

jjw_44883 wrote:

...... if the carrier is specified it is the carrier's responsibility to handle the device unless there is a defect in manufacturing...

I could build and sell a phone and claim it works with T-Mobile, but that would not require T-Mobile to support it. Moreover, when something is not sold as advertised, it is the advertiser that is at fault.

Similarly, I could sell an oil filter that claims to work with 2016 Ford Mustangs. If it didn't fit your engine, would you approach Ford for support?

• tidbits

Cell Phone Unlocking | Federal Communications Commission

That's for phones SOLD by the carrier. The HTC A9 is by the MANUFACTURER.  Huge difference.  Please bring this up with the FCC and an AG so you can put this to bed, and get a refund from HTC or have them fix your problem.

• jjw_44883

So is the HTC One M8 & M9 yet they are still sold carrier locked if the option is selected. If T-Mobile does not want to carry any device regardless of carrier THEY NEED TO LET MANUFACTURER KNOW THAT THEY DO NOT WANT TO CARRY THE DEVICE. As HTC IS AN CONTRACTED MANUFACTURER.

• matesny

@jjw_44883 you need to push this upon HTC and get your device unlocked or get your money back.

T-Mobile sold M8 and M7 (I think) as well as other earlier HTC phones. T-Mobile never sold the A9. Maybe HTC manufactured covers for the phones with carrier logos before knowing T-Mobile wouldn't sell it and had to sell them as carier branded/locked on their own website. Nobody knows what happened there except HTC themselves.

If there are any legal issues the only relevant entity here is HTC.

As tidbits and Mike explained in great detail, you are only being helped here, that is all.

• jjw_44883

Again TMO would have to Contact HTC as stated in my last post, which was in to response to being able to select the carrier during check out. Unless there is Official word from TMO to HTC this issue will remain and there is nothing that I as a consumer can do about it until then. As HTC legally cannot unlock a device. Feel free to contact HTC about device unlocking.

HTC Support

English

+1 866 449 8358

09:00AM - 10:00PM Eastern Time

matesny wrote:

@jjw_44883 you need to push this upon HTC and get your device unlocked or get your money back.

T-Mobile sold M8 and M7 (I think) as well as other earlier HTC phones. T-Mobile never sold the A9. Maybe HTC manufactured covers for the phones with carrier logos before knowing T-Mobile wouldn't sell it and had to sell them as carier branded/locked on their own website. Nobody knows what happened there except HTC themselves.

If there are any legal issues the only relevant entity here is HTC.

As tidbits and Mike explained in great detail, you are only being helped here, that is all.

• e2k

jjw_44883 wrote:

Again TMO would have to Contact HTC as stated in my last post, which was in to response to being able to select the carrier during check out.

Do you honestly believe that continually stating that TMO must contact HTC will help get your phone unlocked?

jjw_44883 wrote:

Unless there is Official word from TMO to HTC this issue will remain and there is nothing that I as a consumer can do about it until then.

Absolute hogwash. You can contact HTC & demand a refund since the phone was not sold as advertised.

jjw_44883 wrote:

HTC legally cannot unlock a device.

Can you cite the law which supports your claim (i.e., the text of the law, not simply your assertion that such a law exists or merely referring to it without quoting it)?

Dude, just call HTC & get your money back. Unless your goal is simply to complain here on the support forum, posting here won't help you. I'll bet that if you'd have called & spoken with HTC rather than arguing with people in this thread, they would have arranged for an RMA & refund/exchange. If you don't want to do so, you can wait 40 days, then request an unlock from TMO per their unlock requirements.

Myself, tidbits, matesny, and many others on this forum are very knowledgeable and are here to help. tmo_mike_c has also confirmed what we have been saying. If you don't want to listen, that's your prerogative.

Best of luck with your issue.

• jjw_44883

I am not saying that it will get my device unlocked, do not misunderstand, I am simply trying to state TMO needs to take action to resolve the issue of HTC selling TMO devices which are not being sold by TMO for use on the TMO network with TMO selected as the carrier of use. If I had wanted a carrier free device I would have bought the Unlocked version of the device and not the TMO version.

MY ISSUE IS THAT THERE IS NO SUPPORT FOR THE TMO BRANDED DEVICE FROM HTC.

HTC Return policy is HTC America Online Store - Returns and Cancellations

Returns and Cancellations

What is your refund policy?

The HTCvive.com America store by Digital River refund policy: Orders can be canceled any time prior to shipment. Products may be returned within 14 days of the date the Product was shipped to you and must be returned with the applicable proof of purchase. Cancellation and return rights do not apply to custom orders that have been personalized or modified specially for you, including products that have been built to order. If a Product has been damaged, repaired or is missing parts, it may not be accepted for return and refund. You will be responsible for the cost of returning the product to us.

The HTC.com America store by Digital River refund policy: Orders can be canceled any time prior to shipment. Products may be returned within 30 days of the date the Product was shipped to you and must be returned with the applicable proof of purchase. Cancellation and return rights do not apply to custom orders that have been personalized or modified specially for you, including products that have been built to order. If a Product has been damaged, repaired or is missing parts, it may not be accepted for return and refund. You will be responsible for the cost of returning the product to us.

• jjw_44883

I bought my device back on Feb 30 2015 it's past the point of returing

• e2k

jjw_44883 wrote:

If I had wanted a carrier free device I would have bought the Unlocked version of the device and not the TMO version.

MY ISSUE IS THAT THERE IS NO SUPPORT FOR THE TMO BRANDED DEVICE FROM HTC.

What kind of support do you want? A phone is a phone. Slip in a SIM card, and it should work. If you have questions, read the manual. If problems persist, perform a master reset. If that still doesn't work, ask for an exchange (if the device is still in warranty).

The "support" that TMO provides for devices that they sell is limited to basic troubleshooting. If they cannot resolve the issue, they will recommend a master reset (as previously mentioned). If that doesn't work, they will authorize an exchange. Even for exchanges, TMO just has a supply of refurbished phones on hand that the manufacturer provides. In essence, they are simply acting as an agent on behalf of the manufacturer by allowing customers to exchange through the carrier rather than having to go through the manufacturer.

Pray tell: What kind of support do you want?

• jjw_44883

1. android os is owned by Google and has an open license and is build off of Linux using a totally unique build else they would have to abide by the licensing agreements for the different builds ex; RedHat, Ubuntu, Fedora, Yellow Dog
                                                                                                                                                              2. Dell takes responsibility for their branded parts and the boot screen is stored on the motherboard/mainboard and Dell as well as every other computer manufacturer has a contract with Microsoft Windows allowing them to pre-install Dell supplied software. Thus Dell will only supply hardware that is in the original device and software developed by them.
                                                                                                                                                              3. once a build of an os with an open license has been changed it and an emblem or logo has been applied the build then falls under copyright laws, just like if one was to change one was to change half of a screen play one would have to have approval from the copyright holder and have said approval in writing and that filed with the copyright office
                                                                                                                                                              4. using any logo icon or term that has been copyrighted without consent the said entity is in violation of copyright laws and can be prosecuted as was the case with Apple and Samsung
                                                                                                                                                                • tidbits

jjw_44883 wrote:

1. android os is owned by Google and has an open license and is build off of Linux using a totally unique build else they would have to abide by the licensing agreements for the different builds ex; RedHat, Ubuntu, Fedora, Yellow Dog
                                                                                                                                                                  2. Dell takes responsibility for their branded parts and the boot screen is stored on the motherboard/mainboard and Dell as well as every other computer manufacturer has a contract with Microsoft Windows allowing them to pre-install Dell supplied software. Thus Dell will only supply hardware that is in the original device and software developed by them.
                                                                                                                                                                  3. once a build of an os with an open license has been changed it and an emblem or logo has been applied the build then falls under copyright laws, just like if one was to change one was to change half of a screen play one would have to have approval from the copyright holder and have said approval in writing and that filed with the copyright office
                                                                                                                                                                  4. using any logo icon or term that has been copyrighted without consent the said entity is in violation of copyright laws and can be prosecuted as was the case with Apple and Samsung
                                                                                                                                                                  1. Android IS NOT the same as Linux... Linux is GPL while Android is ASL.  Learn the difference between licensing before saying they are the same.  FYI we can argue this all year.  I am a programmer and I have to know my licensing.  Don't bother trying to argue this with me. 
                                                                                                                                                                  2. Dell does take responsibility because they sell the device....  T-Mobile DOES NOT sell the A9.  They sell the iPhone, M8, M9, and such YOU used as an example.  Dell does not take responsibility for a anything THEY DO NOT SELL.
                                                                                                                                                                  3. Sorry I have to pick up my jaw since this doesn't apply to your situation.
                                                                                                                                                                  4. Again doesn't affect your situation.

HTC needs to unlock your device or refund you.  T-Mobile does not have control of the device they do not sell the device.  As I said talk to your AG, EFF, FCC, and they will tell you what I told you.  Get your refund or have them give you an unlocked version.  If you believed what you believe you shouldn't be here and you should be talking to people higher than the people on these forums.

• tidbits

That's BECAUSE T-Mobile SOLD those phones. Where on T-Mobile website can you purchase an A9? You can't find it because T-Mobile doesn't sell it and you can't get an EIP or subsidy for it which is the reason for the locks in the first place.

• e2k

If a company does not want to sell a product, they can simply choose not to order and thus not sell any units. They don't need to tell, justify or otherwise explain anything to anyone.  You say HTC is a "contracted manufacturer." Can you produce the contract? If not, how do you know what it says? Besides, such a contract would be between TMO & HTC. A customer has no role in enforcing said contract. Moreover, as tidbits stated, the DCMA has nothing to do with any of this.

If you are going to talk about contracts and laws, cite them. Anyone can make up contracts and laws that don't exist (happens every day,  I know from experience).

• jjw_44883

Actually it does since TMO boot screen is on the device when it boots up. Because if TMO didn't plan and have a contract for the device at one time or another or it could not be sold with the TMO boot screen or have TMO selected as the carrier when buying from HTC. If there had been no contract it would simply and only state that it is capable of operating on the network, big difference. 

• jjw_44883

DCMA (Digital Mellennium Copyrigt Act)

e2k wrote:

jjw_44883 wrote:

• tidbits

That would be the manufacturer.  Since 2000 when manufacturers testified in courts all lawsuits about support that updates are all done by the manufacturers and the reason why all update lawsuits against carriers all have lost.

T-Mobile doesn't sell the phone and therefore doesn't need a subsidy unlock.  HTC IS responsible for the lock.  Check with the FCC, and AG and they'll tell you the same thing. HTC is the ONLY company that can unlock it because T-Mobile can not lock something that they do not sell nor have any control over.

Also DMCA has NOTHING to do with unlocking devices and the reason why people can hack their devices to unlock devices.  If that was in fact against the law then people couldn't do it.

• jjw_44883

DMCA also states that software cannot be changed, modified, and resold sold without consent of the entity that created the software. ex: Microsoft Windows EULA states that if the OS is sold to another end user then the previous end user(seller) must notify Microsoft of the sale as well as the license number/ product number.

And since T-Mobile branding is installed on the boot sequence and the os has been modified by using T-Mobile on the boot sequence the issue falls to T-Mobile to solve the issue unless I as end user decide to change, modify, or remove the pre-installed os.

• e2k

jjw_44883 wrote:

DMCA also states that software cannot be changed, modified, and resold sold without consent of the entity that created the software. ex: Microsoft Windows EULA states that if the OS is sold to another end user then the previous end user(seller) must notify Microsoft of the sale as well as the license number/ product number.

And since T-Mobile branding is installed on the boot sequence and the os has been modified by using T-Mobile on the boot sequence the issue falls to T-Mobile to solve the issue unless I as end user decide to change, modify, or remove the pre-installed os.

All android OS'es are modified, except those installed on Nexus devices. Furthermore, all carrier specific features are developed the manufacturer. This is a known fact in the industry, although consumers often believe otherwise.

Irrespective of this fact, branding has nothing to do with support. I can buy a PC with Windows 10 installed which displays the Dell logo at boot-up. This does not make Dell responsible for supporting Windows 10. Dell might provide some troubleshooting steps, but their only responsibility is to support the hardware. If there is an issue with Windows 10, you will be referred to Microsoft, since Windows is a Microsoft product.

Furthermore, you cited the CTIA commitment. This is a voluntary commitment by carriers to unlock phones under certain conditions. T-Mobile is a signatory to this agreement and they abide by it. Thus, after 40 days of postpaid service or $100 of prepaid refills, you can request an unlock code from T-Mobile. TMO might have to get the unlock code from HTC (which may delay the process), but this is still consistent with the CTIA commitment.

You continue to cite laws, regulations and agreements that are not pertinent to the situation at hand. Again, if you think a law/regulation/agreement applies, cite the text of the applicable law/regulation/agreement. Otherwise, you're just blowing hot air.

• jjw_44883

Read the entire document because if I do as you say I could make any federal document favor my case and if you do not understand the documents I advise you to contact an attorney. As one can not takes bits and pieces of a law and use that as a defense. As ignorance of the law is not a defense in any US Court.

e2k wrote:

jjw_44883 wrote:

All android OS'es are modified, except those installed on Nexus devices. Furthermore, all carrier specific features are developed the manufacturer. This is a known fact in the industry, although consumers often believe otherwise.

Irrespective of this fact, branding has nothing to do with support. I can buy a PC with Windows 10 installed which displays the Dell logo at boot-up. This does not make Dell responsible for supporting Windows 10. Dell might provide some troubleshooting steps, but their only responsibility is to support the hardware. If there is an issue with Windows 10, you will be referred to Microsoft, since Windows is a Microsoft product.

Furthermore, you cited the CTIA commitment. This is a voluntary commitment by carriers to unlock phones under certain conditions. T-Mobile is a signatory to this agreement and they abide by it. Thus, after 40 days of postpaid service or $100 of prepaid refills, you can request an unlock code from T-Mobile. TMO might have to get the unlock code from HTC (which may delay the process), but this is still consistent with the CTIA commitment.

You continue to cite laws, regulations and agreements that are not pertinent to the situation at hand. Again, if you think a law/regulation/agreement applies, cite the text of the applicable law/regulation/agreement. Otherwise, you're just blowing hot air.

.

• jjw_44883

The link you supplied (Meet the Unlocked HTC One A9 | HTC United States) refers to the Unlocked version of the HTC One A9 ONLY

• jjw_44883

• matesny

Seek corporate response from HTC, bypassing the customer service channels. Contact them on Twitter or call the corporate office.

T-Mobile was not involved in the transaction you had with HTC. If you believe the product was misrepresented, you have options to resolve your issue and having T-Mobile unlock your phone is NOT one of those options.

1- Seek corporate Response from HTC.

2- File a complaint with FCC

3- File a complaint with your state's consumer protection division

4- File a complaint with BBB and other online channels

If you file a complaint through an official channel, HTC would need to respond with supporting documentation. The agency would mail you a copy of the documentation and the response HTC provide to them. If the documentation do not conform with law, agencies would hold HTC liable and help you resolve your issue.

I am stating this in good faith. I can understand and relate to the frustration. However cool heads always prevail. Do take an action and update us on the progress.

Good Luck.

• jjw_44883

and as to unlocking the device the FCC has this to say "

Q: Is my cell phone currently locked?
                                                                                                                                            Unless you purchased a phone or device specifically sold as "unlocked" at the point of purchase, you should assume that it is locked to a specific service provider's network. This is true whether you purchase the device from a service provider, at a general retail outlet (in person or on the web), or through a third-party.

Q: How can I unlock my mobile phone?
                                                                                                                                            Contact your mobile wireless service provider. Devices can be unlocked with unlock codes or other software updates provided to you by your provider.  Some providers will complete the unlocking process in-store, others will unlock your device remotely and automatically. "

Source: Cell Phone Unlocking FAQs | Federal Communications Commission

• jjw_44883

Getting back to the original post why is there no support for HTC One A9 TMO version of the phone and yes I do know and have known that TMO was not selling the device online or by store, But that doesn't change the fact that the device is being sold branded for TMO by HTC. Sim issues are a different issue altogether. AGAIN THE ISSUE IS WHY THERE IS NO SUPPORT FOR THE TMO BRANDED HTC ONE A9 BOUGHT FROM HTC REGARDLESS THAT TMO DOES NOT AND HAS NOT HAVE ANY PLANS TO SELL SAID DEVICE. The fact is that the device has been branded as a TMO device and is still being sold by HTC. If TMO has no issue with this then they should have information on the device since this has been happening since last year and TMO apparently has not said anything to HTC or they do not check what the manufacturers are saying as far as what wireless carriers the devices are being marketed for. That is my point. And the screen shots I posted clearly list the device as being sold as a TMO device if one selected TMO as the carrier.

• tidbits

The answer is because there is no T-Mobile version. It doesn't exist as the FAQ says.

Like I said before. Ask you Attorney General, and the FCC and show them that FAQ. I will bet you that they will point to HTC, and say to they are the one responsible for their own product.

• matesny

I went to distance with it and asked both T-Mobile and HTC about it.

Still waiting on HTC's response but

Here is what T-Mobile said: (typo, 2005 --> 2015)

tmocs01.jpg

• tidbits

The bad thing about that is they are assuming it's a device they sell and is in their system. Neither of them is the case and HTC should refund the guy the money or exchange it with an unlocked one, but the OP would rather blame T-Mobile and fix it for them even if it isn't their problem.

• matesny

According to Unlock your mobile wireless device

If you purchased your device from T-Mobile or if you have a T-Mobile authorized device please follow the steps outlined below to determine your eligibility to receive an unlocking code for your device

It may be possible to get this device under "T-Mobile Authorized Device" despite the fact that we know it is currently not. One just needs to seek harder

• tmo_lauren

Hey everyone! Just wanted to check in.

We spoke to HTC this morning on the issue, and here was the break down as they provided:

• We do not have an HTC One A9 that is locked to T-Mobile.
                                                                                                                                                              • If the customer selects T-Mobile as their carrier on our website, they will be purchasing the US unlocked device.
                                                                                                                                                              • The US Unlocked One A9 contains all of the necessary bands to use T-Mobile service.
                                                                                                                                                              • Customer does not need an unlock code to be able to user T-Mobile service on this device.