Updated software to B38-UM0 and hotpot is broken

dotsumi

My Alcatel Onetouch Pixi 7 just updated software to version B38-UM0 and now the hotspot doesn't work correctly with external devices like my laptop or other tablet.  I can surf on the web, watch youtube etc. in any browser.  But when I try to use other programs on the laptop like Skype, or any online game, or even try to update any of my other programs like Nvidia Graphic drivers, or Malwarebytes, it fails to connect or the program returns an error that it is not connected to the internet.  On the tablet, it connect to the hotspot, but doesn't actually connect to anything.  Any game apps like my Facebook Slots, or even trying to browse Google.com or my Gmail acct in Chrome, or the app version doesn't connect at all.  Google Play also comes back saying that the tablet is not connected.  Twitter is also dead. Everything was working well before the Android update to B38-UM0, but now nothing.  HELP!

All replies

• rcbrown

I am having the same problem.  I initially noticed the issue when I connected an Android device to the Pixi's hotspot and was informed the connection did not offer internet connectivity.  After testing a few things, I connected my laptop, which is running openSUSE, to the hotspot so I could get better diagnostic information.  The laptop was able to browse most websites without issue, but I could not ping any site, whether by url or IP (I tested with www.google.com and 8.8.8.8 [Google's public DNS server).  After noting that the hotspot connection had been assigned both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses, I used Google to see what address was being advertised publicly by my laptop.  Google saw the IPv6 address that had been assigned to my device by the Pixi hotspot, indicating that I had accessed the site via IPv6 routing.  With this in mind, I ran the ping6 command against both www.google.com and OpenDNS's IPv6 servers. I was able to ping both sites successfully.

It appears as though the update to the Pixi has caused the device to stop routing any traffic over IPv4, but still allows IPv6 to function normally.  This would cause most programs to fail, since they are probably hardcoded for IPv4.  Android devices also validate a wifi connection's internet connectivity by communicating with some site, apparently over IPv4, which would explain the no connection message.

I looked at the APN settings and found it was set to use IPv6.  I created an alternate APN using the same settings, except specifying IPv4, but this did not help. Of course this is all just speculation on my part, I could be completely off-base.  Maybe someone from T-Mobile can weigh in.

• tmo_mike_c

Wow, this is really interesting rcbrown. I haven't gotten any word of the IPv4 causing this, but I'll do some digging for you to see what's up.

dotsumi have you changed the IPv4 setting on yours before you sent it back? I'd just like to see if you had any success with the IPv6 setting.

• rcbrown

tmo_mike_c,

Have you been able to find anything out about this?  I use the hotspot functionality of my tablet extensively, and having it no longer function is quite problematic.  I would be happy to do some more troubleshooting / provide additional information if there is anything you can think of that may be useful.

Thanks,

Robert

• tmo_mike_c

Hey!

I'm still looking into this. I know it's important for you and I appreciate your patience. This can take some time for me to more info, but I'll keep you posted when I get more details. As for steps, it's recommended to reset your device after a software updates. I'm curious, is the IPv6 setting no longer working?

• rcbrown

tmo_mike_c

Thank you for continuing to work on this.  I just wanted to check in and make sure this thread doesn't get marked as dead/abandoned/etc.

I did perform a full factory reset following the firmware update; however, the hotspot problem persisted following the reset.

Traffic still appears to route properly over IPv6.  However, as dotsumi indicated in the initial post, most applications do not work properly.  If my theory on the problem is correct, this is most likely due to the specific applications having a hard dependency on IPv4 routing.  This issue with hotspot functionality also prevents Android devices from using my the hotspot connection as an internet gateway, since the OS on the client device cannot validate the internet connection (I assume Android attempts to ping / access some specific site / IP address and is unable to do so).

Thank you for your continuing efforts.

Robert

• tmo_mike_c

No problem my friend.

This is a unique one so I won't be sending the thread to an early grave. I agree with your theory about this being a possible application dependency to IPv4.  With that being said, your devices should be able to access webpages with the IPv4 setting on the Pixi. I'll keep my eye on this "head-scracther" and let you know what I find. Thanks for giving the reset a shot.

• rcbrown

tmo_mike_c,

I my experience so far, Android devices just flag the hotspot connection as completely lacking an internet connection and refuse to route any traffic over the connection at all, whether through a browser or an app, regardless of the protocol being used.  The only device I use regularly that can utilize the hotspot connection in any capacity at all is my laptop running Linux and even then only sites that support IPv6.  I have not tested with devices running iOS, OSX, or Windows, as I do not have any on hand.

I appreciate you keeping the thread open.  I look forward to continuing to work with you on a resolution.

Thanks again,

Robert

• tmo_mike_c

It's my pleasure. Out of my own curiosity, I'd like to know the results of the iOS, OSX, and Windows tests. When you get the chance of course.

• rcbrown

I do not own any devices running those OSes, so I may not have an chance to test any time soon.  Should an opportunity arise, I will let you know the result.

Thanks,

Robert

• matesny

Definitely something to try to reproduce. Don't have pixi but they are cheap $40 at ebay, may get one just to beat it up a little

There is no DHCPv6 support on Android yet the client is set to tether in ipv6 mode. Inevitably somewhere along the line of non-standard implementations the packages lose their credentials to be accepted into the world of ipv4!

Since we know the NAT64 works on the other end of the network as the device itself (pixi) can access ipv4 and ipv6 worlds without any issues, The path must be broken before the packages leave the device.

What ultimately points to a setting within the tethering host that is wrongfully imposed by the developer or an erroneous code, where, latter seems quite unlikely considering these are mostly android source codes directly from Google, untouched (by Alcatel)

rcbrown Have you tried adding "dun" as an APN Type element in your APN (v4 or v6) Settings?

After setting global variable, using android debug bridge, tether_dun_required to 0?

(adb shell> settings put global tether_dun_required 0)

• rcbrown

matesny

Thank you for weighing in.  I have tried adding dun to the APN type, but I have not attempted the ADB command.  Just adding dun did not help, but maybe the ADB step will make a difference.  I am not sure if I will have time to give that a go today, but I will try that out as soon as I have a chance and let you know.

Thanks,

Robert

• tmo_mike_c

I'm still having this looked into. Just curious, but have you had the chance to test the other OS's?

• rcbrown

tmo_mike_c

Just checking in to let you know I am still following this, I just have not had time to do any testing lately.

Do you think matesny's suggestion about changing some settings via ADB may be useful?

Thanks,

Robert

• tmo_lauren

Hey there! I just wanted to update real quick, MC is on vacation and I haven't been forwarded anything as one of his POC's, but he will be returning this weekend, so hopefully there will be an update soon!

-Lauren

• tmo_mike_c

Hey! I'm back from vacation now. Thanks for your patience. Changing settings there may be worth it, but it's not something required or recommended by T-Mobile. I'm still working with my team to unwrap this mystery. I'll keep ya posted on what I find. Let me know what happens if you do any other tests.

• tmo_mike_c

Hey just wanted you to know I'm still waiting to hear something back. Just curious to see if you've done any testing lately with another OS.

• mdenny

I am also having a problem with this, I use my tablet only for the hotspot and i Pay tmobile 10 a month to use it. I've been unable to use it since the update v5.02. It says i have a connection but when i try to use either the browser or games on my secondary phone I get no connection. Also No connection to the google appstore. Something broke it on the update and I dont want to pay to send it off to Alcatel as Tmobile suggested. This is my 5th tablet as 3 previous died within a month with no power or charge light and the 4th i traded in to find out the hotspot still doesn't work.  I'm ready to take the thing back and tell Tmobile I don't want to even use their service as they've offered me no help even to the point of insulting me at the store saying it works for them on their IPhones, well it doesn't work on ANY of my androids. Also tired of Tmobile and Alcatel telling me NO one else has reported this problem like it's only me. Well clearly it's anyone that uses the mobile hotspot on it.

• rcbrown

tmo_mike_c

I am not sure if or when I will have a chance to test on any other devices, as I mentioned before, I do not own any Windows or iOS devices.  It sounds like mdenny was told by T-Mobile store staff that it worked on their iPhones.  With that in mind, it really seems like it would make the most sense for your technical staff to actually test with other devices, rather than placing that burden on consumers, since I am T-Mobile staff have have access to a much wider variety of equipment than I do.  This would also be a much better way to determine the actual scope of the problem.  Obviously it impacts more than just my device, since both the OP and mdenny have reported the same issue.  It would seem to me that your technical staff would have the ability to test against multiple Pixis to see if this occurs across all of them, or if only certain ones are broken by the update.

Let me know if you find anything out.  Given that this device does not appear to be available for purchase on your site anymore, I doubt many resources will be put towards a resolution, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks,

Robert

• mdenny

I was told by Tmobile they have no way of fixing it, i must send it in for service and have them reverse the update on my dime. I'm very disapointed in this outcome as they promised to make it right then shuffled me away and refuse to do anything about it even to the point of making me call and talk to Alcatel and me finding out it will cost me more than the tablet is even worth. I shouldn't have let them talk me into signing a contract for 2 years to keep this device as im locked in and cant quit it. There should be some kind of No lemon policy regarding this, as honestly they just don't seem to care that the device doesn't function as intended.

• tmo_mike_c

They thanks for messaging me rcbrown. Right not, this is still being looked at internally. I haven't received any word as to what testing will be done or any next steps, but I'll reply back here with the results. My apologies for making you feel the burden. That wasn't my intention. I meant it as, if you get the chance to test this, let me know what happens for you. I just want to keep track of what you personally experience.

• mdenny

I know you are not here to reply to me, but the HOTSPOT is broken on the device. It's really that simple, i've done all the testing. I do not believe it worked with the iphone either he was using data not the wifi connection of the tablet. There isn't much else to do but what and hope they come out with a fix for it. The Hotspot on the Alcatel tablet is totally not working on the latest update. I am on my 3rd tablet all have had the same problem fwiw.

• tmo_mike_c

I'm here for anyone who's having this trouble, and than includes you mdenny. That's no good you've gone through that many devices. I'm keeping an eye on this threads and an ear out for updates. I'll reply back when I get more details. Thanks.

• mdenny

Thank you kindly sir, you've already done far more than those in my local store here have offered. They look at me and laugh really because I suppose they think i'm just making it up because I haven't had a good experience with this tablet and they always refuse to make it right. Like I said this is the 3rd tablet that I've tried just for this problem and it doesn't count the 3 that died the first 3 months I received this. So this is actually my 7th tablet since August of 2015. The first 3 simply died with no cause as In the power went off and I couldn't even get a charge light. Anyways I'm holding out a little hope you can get someone to move on this and push out a fix. Thank you for the concern sir, have a wonderful day.

• tmo_lauren

...do they actually laugh about it? Because if they do, that's pretty terrible and definitely shouldn't be happening.

• mdenny

Yes last time I was in there one of them had quite a smile because he claimed well it works with my Iphone. I do appreciate you looking into this it really isn't worth it to send it to Alcatel on my dime as the tablet isn't worth what it costs to fix it and ship it back and forth. Just waiting for another solution which may be just to pay for it every month and not use it until the contract is up.

• rcbrown

Really, I can't see why you should be expected to pay for getting this

fixed out of your own pocket.  This was an update written by Alcatel and

pushed out by T-Mobile.  It's not as if you flashed a custom ROM or

anything, the device was not broken by any action you or I had taken, but

was entirely caused by Alcatel/T-Mobile.  I would certainly hope one or

both companies would be willing to stand behind their product and take

responsibility for breaking their users' devices.  Expecting customers to

pay to repair a product that was broken by the manufacturer/distributor

certainly does not represent a reasonable level of customer support.

It is frustrating enough to be paying for a device/service you cannot use

to its full capacity due to actions of the manufacturer, to then request

more money to restore the device to its original functionality is really

just pouring salt into the wound.

I do appreciate the responsiveness of Mike and other T-Mobile employees to

this thread.  Hopefully they can help us find a solution.

• tmo_mike_c

I agree with Lauren. This isn't funny and that shouldn't have happened. I want you to know, I'll keep you posted one what I find out about this tablet. I can't promise exactly what the outcome will be, but I'll do my best to get you an answer.

• dotsumi

Yes we also came to the same conclusions.  As well as doing a bit of research on Android 5.0.2, and its not just the Pixi, its also on Sony, Samsung, Nexus, etc. and devices that have hotspot capability.  For the most part Pixi users have at least HTTP (eg Port 80) access where as other devices refuse any connection at all, after the update is applied.  Eventually we had to go into a local store and get it swapped out.  However considering our Pixi was purchased via Telesales and not through a local store, we have to ship our unit back and wait for a replacement.  This replacement may or may not have the 5.0.2 B38-UM0 patch applied already.  So being cautionary folk, we just went ahead and purchased a replacement at the store and got the Alcatel Onetouch POP 7 LTE which is the latest version compared to the Pixi.  We brought my laptop and tablet in with us and the rep helped us out and we were able to test the new POP 7 out, as well as make sure that the device has its Android Update turned off, just to be sure, and everything worked like a charm.   We'll be shipping out the Pixi for return tomorrow.

• rcbrown

@Dotsumi,

While I cannot speak for other devices, I was definitely able to use the hotspot functionality of my Nexus 7 while it was on version 5.0.2, so I don't think the Android version is specifically the problem, at least not in all cases.

While I am happy to hear you found a solution that works for you, I hope T-Mobile can offer something more than just "buy a new device and never update it."  On that note, since the device malfunction was a result of a carrier issued update, were you able to swap out for the newer model at no additional cost to you, or did they make you pay the difference in cost, if any?

@tmo_mike_c

Here is some more test/result information.  I have a Nexus 7 that is able to function properly as a hotspot using the same SIM; however, it lacks band 12, so its connection at my apartment is barely usable at best.  Noting that the N7 works, I created an APN on the Pixi using the N7's APN settings, which differ from the settings hardcoded into the Pixi.  The N7 APN settings use IPv4 as the APN protocol.  If I use the default APN on the Pixi and launch Chrome on the tablet itself and check my IP via Google, it presents an IPv6 address, as would be expected.  Likewise, using the N7 APN settings on the Pixi results in an IPv4 address, which one would expect given the APN protocol is limited to IPv4.  Connectivity on the Pixi itself appears to work perfectly fine when using the N7 APN, as it does when using its own APN settings.  Unfortunately, when using the N7 settings and setting the Pixi to function as a hotspot, no devices connected to it are able access the Internet.  This is actually worse than what occurs using the default APN, since at least in that case I was able to reach IPv6 accessible sites.

In case it helps with anything, I have attached some screenshots of results I received from an IPv6 readiness site that I ran from my laptop while connected to the Pixi hotspot using the default APN.  Of note, it lists Google as inaccessible over IPv4 on that connection, in addition to a few other sites, not all of which would fit on my screen.

Screenshot from 2016-05-02 19-46-06.pngScreenshot from 2016-05-02 19-44-32.pngScreenshot from 2016-05-02 19-45-18.png

Of course, the IP protocol could be a red herring and this could be caused by something else altogether.  Thank you for looking into this.

Robert

• mdenny

It's been over a month, any status to update here?