Galaxy S5 Update

azhar586

Samsung has started worldwide update for galaxy s5 6.0.1 but T mobile user are still awaiting. Now this wait is going to be frustrated us. I think T Mobile should be release this update now.

All replies

• smplyunprdctble

Re: Galaxy S5 Update

You want them to release it NOW?  Before they've had a chance to bake in WiFi Calling, In-Flight Texting, and other features that are custom to them?  And before they've had a chance to test things?

• azhar586

I think they taking too long time to release it.

• smplyunprdctble

OR

There's weird things happening in the code that's being tested with the T-Mobile enhancements and T-Mobile has to keep going back to Samsung for tweaks.

Which would you rather have?  Something released now that causes problems or something that's stable?

T-Mobile doesn't do the development.  Samsung does.  Samsung has their priorities (developing new devices to make money).  They also have their agreements to provide updates to existing devices (the situation we're talking about).  If Carrier Modifications aren't fitting nicely into the release developed Internationally, then they have to spend more time trying to get those resolved.

US Carriers are trying to set themselves apart from the competition.  That's why T-Mobile has WiFi Calling and In-Flight Texting among other things.  Sprint, AT&T, and Verizon have their own customizations they have for whatever features they're using to distinguish themselves.  International releases will always happen first because the rest of the world isn't doing this "we have to have more features" thing (of course, cell carriers across the world operate much differently than here).

If you absolutely have to have the latest and greatest software version, you want a Nexus device or an International version.  Nexus will always get the latest software updates (since they're managed by Google).  International devices will be next in line, generally.

Beyond that, your device works fine (I'm assuming).  Newer OS really only slows things down.  You're not going to get any new features, most likely.

• hashmael

I would like to present a more moderate version of the OP's concern:
                    I can accept that T-Mobile might take longer to validate and deploy MM for the G900T with all of its features intact;

but the lack of transparency is definitely aggravating.
                    I would rather T-Mobile give some communication regarding what's going on with the update, rather than a protracted silence. I know that there are unique considerations to each carrier, and that the feature set implemented on T-Mobile might cause its release to take longer;

but as to why this release is taking longer, it seems the explanations given are pure speculation. And while I totally appreciate the expertise offered here, it comes across as you being a bit of an apologist (no offense intended). I think by most reasonable comparisons, this update is taking significantly longer than expected.
                    Yes, if given the choice between an immediate buggy update and a delayed, polished update, we would all prefer the latter; but that's a false dichotomy. The problem is that, for whatever reason, a polished update is taking unusually long;
                    and if there's a reason for that, T-Mobile should inform its customers of that reason.

And if there's no reason for that, then we have a more serious problem, which is the amazingly rapid disregard of yesteryear's flagship phones.

Bottom line:

I can respect than an update might take a bit longer,

and I can understand (but disagree with) a carrier not giving a projected update timeline;

but when a phone is in the testing phase for an unusually long period of time, I think it would be appropriate to at the very least offer an explanation to your customers.

• smplyunprdctble

hashmael wrote:

but when a phone is in the testing phase for an unusually long period of time, I think it would be appropriate to at the very least offer an explanation to your customers.

I won't argue that statement, but it most likely won't happen.

I'd love for the people who I support on the other side of the floor to tell me when they come across format issues with their reports instead of it sitting wrong for months before they come to me about adding a line and I notice it.  A simplest piece of communication that can even be simplified by printing an extra copy and putting it on my desk for me to find.  It doesn't happen because they don't have time during Month-End-Close to handle it and they forget about it when it's over.

If it's difficult to get people to do things that are meters away from each other, how hard do you think it is to coordinate when the teams may not even be in the same time zone?  If the Testing Team happens to be in Seattle and the folks who maintain this board are in Georgia and they've never met and don't have any organization relations, it's not easy to find the people, much less get a response from them (If I got a random email from someone else in the company asking how one of my projects was going, I'd probably ignore it).

This thread isn't the first complaining about an "exorbitant amount of time" with a Software Update (the previous one was about the Nexus 6 getting Marshmallow, if I recall).  It won't be the last.  And, getting whys out of a large company is very difficult.

You CAN always try tweeting John Legere.  He's quite active on his Twitter account, and always has been frank with the way he presents things.

• ohsnapitssuz

I agree 100%.

• nouar

I think t-mobile mockery of their clients and modernization maybe just ink on the whole paper trifles test updates to your phone is not a modernization of intercontinental ballistic missiles testing and from my experience with t-mobile noticed that updates are always the last and problems are most if not updated within a week I would give up to deal with their products

• ohsnapitssuz

And yet, if they did release it now before it is tested and the bugs worked out, you would be the first one to complain and demand that they replace your device free of charge because "they broke it."

No. This is exactly why they do the testing - to decrease the likelihood of device corruption and thus decrease the liability risk for releasing updated software.

• nouar

The eighth week and has not been shooting update But what puzzles me why not respond to queries from customers, but perhaps it is not even the Department of inquiries inspect and customers are not given so interesting regarding updates at least give them a month of launch update no more is demanding day select the I right my friends