bajasurxda

Dear T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S7/S7E users,

I have created this discussion to make a central location for us to discuss unlocking the bootloader on the G-930T/G-935T.

For those who do not know what I am referring to, please read the following email to John Legere from myself:

Good Evening,

I am writing this email to you in hopes that at the executive level, T-Mobile will do right by their customers.

For the past several years, Samsung Galaxy devices on Tmobile have shipped with an unlocked bootloader, allowing T-Mobile users and Android enthusiasts to run (and test)  custom software which helps better the Android community as a whole. For me, this was the one and only reason I left Verizon Wireless years ago, so that I could continue to enjoy my device and test applications freely on  T-Mobile.

This brought thousands of other Verizon and AT&T customers over as well, as we had all believed in John Legere and his "Uncarrier" mission. Sadly, with the Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge, Tmobile users have lost the ability to OEM unlock their device and have joined the ranks of Verizon and AT&T.

I am writing to you urging you to do right by your customers and unlock the Galaxy S7/Edge. However small the root user community may be, we tend to be the loudest and most passionate Android users in the world. If we cannot unlock our devices through T-Mobile, we will be forced to go elsewhere. This would be a sad day for tmobile considering many of your own employees belong to this community.

I know this cannot be high on the list of action items your team has on their plate, however I urge you to do right by us and do what needs to be done to put this to rest.  Please do not join the ranks of Verizon and AT&T by allowing these devices to be locked down like fort Knox.

Respectfully,

Mike D.
    T Mobile user
    Android Enthusiast

All replies

• bajasurxda

As of right now, the discussions I have had with the Office of the CEO, are that they are "working with samsung to figure this out."

From what I have gathered, Samsung has screwed this up and locked the devices without T-Mobile knowing this happened. That seems like a rather large mistake/oversight on both parties, and I do not think we should stand here and be told "We are working on it."

Thousands of us switched to T-Mobile for this very reason, to be able to enjoy an unlocked device and test custom software.

Let your voice be heard! The more people to enter this discussion, the more attention it will get.

Spread the word

• tidbits

Samsung is the one that locked it. Complaining to a company who isn't at fault like they are gets little traction. Hound and pressure Samsung. It'll do more than what you and a bunch of other people are doing now.

• bajasurxda

I agree that Samsung is at fault here.....but this has affected T-Mobile customers and T-Mobile should have some pretty heavy influence and traction to force the hand of Samsung to fix this.

Samsung will not listen to their users....they never have. I think the only way for us to get through to them is by communicating our frustrations through T-Mobile.

• theartiszan

Ha. T-Mobile does not really have much I the way of power to force them to do anything. They are a small drop in the bucket to the international market that Samsung seeks to.

• bajasurxda

Well what's better? Doing nothing or trying to do something?

Sure aren't going to get it unlocked by standing around twiddling our thumbs. If Samsung values tmobile business they should have a voice..

• cuezaireekaa

I agree. Thanks for speaking up for hundreds maybe thousands of us. I feel like a lot of users actually just upped and left Tmobile and the s7 altogether because of the lack of bootloader unlock option. I was on that side but decided to keep my s7edge because I have other newish devices with root so I'm not without being able to test software and the such, but my s7edge should be in that bunch. I paid a lot of money to be able to do what I'd like with my device. Its not hurting anyone and I fully understand that it voids warranty with manufacturer. That's my choice. I for one have hope that someone will step up and do something for the users because this is a wonderful marriage of a great manufacturing company (Samsung) and a groundbreaking carrier (Tmobile). And I'd hate to have to leave one or the other ..or possibly both. for now I know there are a few options for flagship devices with unlocked bootloaders. But at least those companies are giving their users a choice. Thanks HTC and LG. And especially Google with their nexus devices. I've been a loyal Samsung fan for a long time. In the future this may just have to change. As for my stance on Tmobile. I commend that they are looking into it and I hope that's the truth. I just want clarity. Who actually made a mistake? Did Tmobile forget to ask them to unlock it? Did Samsung insist? Is it going to be like this from now on from either sammy , or Tmo? We just want to know what's going on, so we could know if we should look elsewhere instead of spending hundreds of dollars on something we ultimately do not want. Dissapointing if we never get any info about this serious situation for android enthusiast.

• tidbits

T-Mobile  since the Amaze has said... We leave everything to the manufacturers to decide what they want to do with their bootloaders..

Out of all bootloaders that are locked on T-Mobile none could explain why T-Mobile would lock them but leave all others unlocked.

For example the Xperia devices. They were the ONLY locked devices(that couldn't be unlocked) on T-Mobile until the S7 family.

HTC 10 is able to be unlocked, and from rumors the T-Mobile G5 is locked but could be unlocked as well. The tool isn't out yet for it yet.

• tmo_mike_c

Hey bajasurxda I here ya, and thanks for letting us know how you feel. T-Mobile and Samsung are working together on this one. I can't say what the result will be or how long it'll take. We like listening to our customers so thanks for using the forum to share your thoughts.

• bajasurxda

Thanks @tmo_mike_c

I feel we have a much better chance at getting this handled through the proper channels (tmobile)  rather than a community unlock. 

Are you able to provide any insight into the "working together on this one"  comment? What type of issues are you guys facing from Samsung?

Thank you for participating

Mike

• tmo_mike_c

Out here on support, we don't have the details on how the conversations go. Like most companies, these discussions are kept private. All I can share, is what I've already posted. We'll share more on this as we hear it.

• jetsports

HI Mike,

It's been 6 weeks or so since an update from you, I purchased the S7 2 days ago and am preparing to return it today without an idea of it being unlocked pretty soon. It's so loaded with bloatware that can't be uninstalled I've never seen anything quite like it. Has there been an update to the status? Thanks.

• tmo_mike_c

Hey jetsports.

I don't have any official word on this yet, but I'm still digging. I understand this is a hot topic for S7 users so I'll do my best to find out more and keep everyone posted here. I can't promise how long it'll take or what the outcome will be, but I'm checking on this. Thanks your patience I'll let you know what I find out.

• alruf

I joined the forum with the sole purpose of chiming in on the unlocked bootloader request... This may very well be my last Samsung Galaxy phone if they don't provide a way to unlock it... I should have investigated this before even upgrading my S6 Edge to the S7... Mike we are all surely hoping you will bear good knews soon...

• jetsports

HI Mike

With this latest news, Samsung Sells Galaxy S7 Phones That Aren't Tied to Carrier - ABC News

do you anticipate a stance change? This tells me that clearly Samsung is NOT the driving factor behind the lockdown, T-Mobile is. I really wish I'd just waited a month to buy this phone, but all new users who want this capability will just go straight to the Mfr and T-Mobile will be left out in the cold.

• stevetjr

That article is apple and oranges, what the article is referring to is the carrier lock which is a completely separate animal than having the bootloader locked. I have a few relatively current devices and all but one are actually unlocked but for instance my Sony Z3 even though it is "carrier unlocked" the bootloader still is locked and that was a decision Sony made not T-Mobile.

• jetsports

That's a good point Steve and I am aware of the difference, but it seems to me that it would be more difficult to sell a locked bootloader device to a customer whose provider does not otherwise have it locked (ie: ATT) and then arrange a method to install that provider's unlocked bootloader onto a locked device, then it would be to simply sell the device unlocked in the first place. Since Samsung is not a major beneficiary of the ad revenues generated by the apps locked into the T-Mobile bootloader (some I know but nothing like T-Mobile is), it also makes less sense for them to push that onto consumes looking for an alternative.

• stevetjr

If you look at the other carrier devices T-Mobile phones have probably the least "bloatware" heck T-Mobile doesn't even stamp there logo on it. They have even started unlocking the FM radio chip in the device and most of the bloatware apps are for services that are specific to T-Mobile (visual vm, hotspot, etc) so they aren't even generating
                                                                "ad revenue".  Yes they do carrier lock the device but all that really does is restrict the SIM nothing to do with the OS per se.  Samsung probably generates more revenue than T-Mobile by adding pre-loaded apps like Amazon and etc.

All I can say is I know for a fact that on the Z3 Sony made the decision to lock the bootloader not T-Mobile and that some of my T-Mobile devices don't have locked bootloaders so as mentioned in a previous thread if T-Mobile wanted them locked then you would assume they would all be locked not just some.

• edu616

I also changed from Verizon to Tmobile based on unlocked phones it sucks that at the moment my s7 edge bootloader can't be unlocked. I hope we have a solution between Sammy and Tmo.

• unixslayer

I was very concerned after moving to T-Mobile from AT&T, and purchasing a new Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge that I am unable to utilize my phone in my daily business. I have always had Samsung phones, and through T-Mobile, I have always had root on those devices. Now, I am unable to conduct my work for my business. I use many Apps, and programs on my phone that require root access. Without this access, and I am now carrying two phones with me. Without being able to use these Apps, it is costing me clients. I cannot continue to conduct business in this way. If this is the future of Samsung, and T-Mobile... then I regretfully will have to move on.

• hutson23

bajasurxda

Thanks for starting this thread for the rest of us.

I have kept my S7 edge in the hopes this will be resolved.

I can really live without the bootloader being unlocked but need root.

This is my 1st smartphone I have not rooted, going back to the Moto Cliq XT ...LOL

T-Mobile Support please help us get this resolved.

Thanks,

Ben Hutson

• dima202

Yes please! T-Mobile, please give option to unlock bootloader for end-users.

• matesny

Do not own an S7 or planning to own one but I support this petition. A fully paid device that one owns should not be permanently locked to a specific rom.

HTC is leading this pack, offering high end devices that can be bootloader unlocked using HTCDEV and it even will not void HTC Warranty!

Eagerly waiting to see how HTC 10 will fare in my environment

• 44alexsmith

An unlock bootloader option for the Samsung Galaxy S7/S7 Edge would definitely make me purchase the T-Mobile variant of the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge.  Else, I will have to get an international variant.

• snowspomer

Just bought the Galaxy S7, and although it's a great phone, I was also really looking forward to playing with new ROM's, etc..

Sucky.

• beef7567

Hope this is fixed soon.  I also want Multi-User added.

• skitzone86

Would love to be able to unlock my s7 soon!!!! Any news

• tidbits

Well looks like Samsung is the ones who locked it down.

They started not sell an unlocked and unbranded version of these phones. Can't unlock the bootloader. There is nothing stopping these other than themselves.

• daveinmpls

Very interesting thread. I'm neither a developer nor a Unix guru. I just like having my phone rooted, and I rooted my original Galaxy S, then the S5; never gave a care or concern to any warranty issues. I'm getting the two to three year "itch" for a new phone, and the S7 looked like a good candidate. Now I'm not so sure. My understanding is that the FM chip/software is enabled in the S7, but the locked bootloader is troubling. I'm not of a mind to switch carriers; I've been happy with T-Mo, more so than the 'other guys', and that really doesn't address the issue anyway. It appears to me that Samsung does not like us rooting our phones and will do anything in their techno-power to stop it - kinda like the fruit company in California. Oh well, just my two cents worth of pointless rambling.

• 44alexsmith

The U.S. factory unlocked Galaxy S7/S7 Edge is worth consideration.

The latter variant will most likely be more Developer friendly.

Time will tell.

Where to buy a U.S. unlocked Samsung Galaxy S7 or S7 edge

http://www.androidcentral.com/where-buy-unlocked-samsung-galaxy-s7-us

• |ostsou|

My bootloader is unlocked on my S7 edge ....

• notethis

bajasurxda wrote:

Dear T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S7/S7E users,

I have created this discussion to make a central location for us to discuss unlocking the bootloader on the G-930T/G-935T.

For those who do not know what I am referring to, please read the following email to John Legere from myself:

Good Evening,

I am writing this email to you in hopes that at the executive level, T-Mobile will do right by their customers.

For the past several years, Samsung Galaxy devices on Tmobile have shipped with an unlocked bootloader, allowing T-Mobile users and Android enthusiasts to run (and test)  custom software which helps better the Android community as a whole. For me, this was the one and only reason I left Verizon Wireless years ago, so that I could continue to enjoy my device and test applications freely on  T-Mobile.

This brought thousands of other Verizon and AT&T customers over as well, as we had all believed in John Legere and his "Uncarrier" mission. Sadly, with the Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge, Tmobile users have lost the ability to OEM unlock their device and have joined the ranks of Verizon and AT&T.

I am writing to you urging you to do right by your customers and unlock the Galaxy S7/Edge. However small the root user community may be, we tend to be the loudest and most passionate Android users in the world. If we cannot unlock our devices through T-Mobile, we will be forced to go elsewhere. This would be a sad day for tmobile considering many of your own employees belong to this community.

I know this cannot be high on the list of action items your team has on their plate, however I urge you to do right by us and do what needs to be done to put this to rest.  Please do not join the ranks of Verizon and AT&T by allowing these devices to be locked down like fort Knox.

Respectfully,

Mike D.
                                                                    T Mobile user
                                                                    Android Enthusiast

IM also close looking at att/even though i dont own s7 anymore. if unlocked was easier, we wouldnt need to spend time asking for weeks to unlock

• stevetjr

@notethis your unlock issue is different than what they are talking about

in this thread. They want the bootloader unlocked so they can install a

custom ROM, what you are referring to is a carrier SIM lock which is

completely different.

T-Mobile has say with the manufacturer regarding SIM locks. With the

bootloader that is determined by the manufacturer even though there are

some in this thread that believe T-Mobile has a say in that, but that logic

in my opinion doesn't hold water since some devices the bootloader is

unlocked so why would T-Mobile lock some and not others. Like on the Sony

Z3, which I know for a fact it was Sony that locked the bootloader not

T-Mobile.

• rishank86

Bumping for hope

• kneafseym

With the new Nougat, does anyone know if we are still bootloader locked?

• thejvguru

And this will be the last Samsung for me.  This whole thing has been absurd.

• magenta1975869

signed for bootloader unlock

• magenta2271541

Signing petition. Come on T-Mobile get your act together!!! You are going to lose customers!!

• stevetjr

magenta2271541 wrote:

Signing petition. Come on T-Mobile get your act together!!! You are going to lose customers!!

And where are or would you go??  It is locked by Samsung not T-Mobile and Samsung has locked it on all US variants so no matter what carrier you bought it from it would be locked. So how is T-Mobile going to lose customers over this?  This petition should be going to Samsung.

• magenta2271541

steve. thank you but i am aware of that already.

however, none of us are Samsung customers. We are T-mobile customers. You bought your phone from T-mobile not Samsung I presume same as most others. We can only complain to Tmobile with hopes that they would put pressure on Samsung. Tmobile is at fault here not Samsung. If they cared about customers they would do something about it.

Also I doubt that tmobile didn't have a hand in this. Samsung has no reason whatsoever to lock it as they have nothing to lose. Tmobile has something to lose as that means all the bloatware is subject to easy removal.

• stevetjr

T-Mobile doesn't have a say in it, I got a chance to beta the Z3 before it launched at TMO and on a conference call with Sony and T-Mobile one of the other testers asked about getting the bootloader unlocked and T-Mobile deferred the question to Sony who said they would think about it but for now they were opting to keep it locked. So it was the manufacturer not the carrier.

You buy a Chevy from an independent dealer, if you have an issue with something Chevy opted to lock down you don't complain to the dealer you complain to Chevy.   T-Mobile is a reseller when it comes to hardware and the manufacturers agree to load their specific software to help and give them incentive to sell their product.  If they won't unlock it for Verizon or AT&T both of which are still probably twice as large as TMO, why do you think they would do it for TMO?  The manufacturers know the carriers need them more than the other way around, the carriers especially when it comes to Samsung and Apple need them so they have no leverage.

• magenta2271541

well that is just an assumption. I would say tmobile has more of an incentive to have the bootloader locked than samsung does.

technically samsung has more of an incentive to unlock it as more people can brick their phones. that means more sales for samsung phones.

• tidbits

Actually no.  Samsung has more incentive to protect their devices. You can never really hard brick a unlocked bootloader phone.  About 10% of those that "mod" their software only about 1% ever hard brick their devices.  Hardly a drop in the bucket when everyone is into security and protecting their information(this crowd is gigantic in the US with NSA, FBI, and CIA wanting devices with back doors).  If your devices are known to be tough as Fort Knox(see what I did there), vs one that can be easily compromised which do you think will buy? 

Here's a nifty thing to look at.  The Chinese version (Qualcomm) can be unlocked.  Samsung could have used said too and with the T-Mobile version.  Now here's the kicker.  Legere said it was Samsung, and Samsung front office never said against it.  A lot of low level reps who would NOT know anything Front Office is thinking or stance on something.  They'll say whatever to get you off the phone.  Why would Legere who has been upfront with everything he plans to do, but then lie about an unlocked bootloader.  He even offered for a short time for people to return their S7/E's and get another device that does have an unlocked bootloader...  Of course people heard blah blah it has to be T-Mobile...

Here's some more food for thought.  T-Mobile since the HTC Amaze said it will ALWAYS be up to the Manufacturers to lock bootloaders.  They will not request the bootloaders to be locked.  This stemmed from HTC starting to lock their bootloaders on their own.  SO far every HTC device sold on T-Mobile since the Amaze had locked bootloaders, but HTC made a tool to unlock ALL of them which T-Mobile has never stopped.  LG locked all bootloaders since the G2(except for T-Mobile devices), and almost all of them had encrypted locked bootloaders.  So does it seem like a Trend that T-Mobile locks bootloaders?  FYI manufacturers DO have their code to protect.  Sony if you unlock their devices they remove code, and drivers.  Samsung has some of their features stop working as well. 

• magenta2271541

where did you get this statistic exactly ??
                                                                                                        "About 10% of those that "mod" their software only about 1% ever hard brick their devices."

Sorry but not really convinced. You can brick your device much more easily if you mess with it and if it's unlocked bootloader you can mess with it a lot. Based on my experience frequenting forums people with unlocked bootloaders brick their devices and although most are recoverable (most often is the case I agree) most people are not that capable of doing it alone and getting others to do that for them is expensive. So no i disagree on that front. Unlocked bootloaders by and large lead to bricked devices much more often. And samsung benefits from that.

That being said they may have an incentive to lock it for "security" reasons. What you brought up is a good point. The NSA may very well have forced them into doing that.

• tidbits

magenta2271541 wrote:

where did you get this statistic exactly ??
                                                                                                            "About 10% of those that "mod" their software only about 1% ever hard brick their devices."

Sorry but not really convinced. You can brick your device much more easily if you mess with it and if it's unlocked bootloader you can mess with it a lot. Based on my experience frequenting forums people with unlocked bootloaders brick their devices and although most are recoverable (most often is the case I agree) most people are not that capable of doing it alone and getting others to do that for them is expensive. So no i disagree on that front. Unlocked bootloaders by and large lead to bricked devices much more often. And samsung benefits from that.

That being said they may have an incentive to lock it for "security" reasons. What you brought up is a good point. The NSA may very well have forced them into doing that.

That community is smaller than you think they are large.  I have been a modder and developer for all devices on XDA.  It's been hard to hard brick devices.  There are actual protections  especially for Samsung devices to prevent hard bricking.  A lot of people who have soft bricked think their devices are hard bricked when they are not.  Often they get suckered into selling it to someone for "parts" and then that person unbricks it and uses/sell it for profit.

• stevetjr

magenta2271541 wrote:

well that is just an assumption. I would say tmobile has more of an incentive to have the bootloader locked than samsung does.....

I would disagree since things like Samsung Pay and other things that use the secure element are disabled and won't work on rooted devices because of security issues.  Samsung has a lot invested in Samsung Pay alone not to mention they probably have more "bloatware" on their devices than TMO does.

I know in the case of Sony because I was on the call with them and TMO and they specifically said it was their decision and they would look at it but for now they were not going to unlock it and they never did even after bailing out of the US and leaving everyone stranded on an outdated OS that they had upgraded everyone of except the 2 US versions.