vin43

The writing is on the wall for us z3 owners that tmobile as well Sony is not supporting this phone anymore this is just a year or so year old and not even t-mobile wants it back it went from a 600 dollar phone to a trade in value of 60 bucks SMH Screenshot_2016-04-27-10-18-46.png

All replies

• yesh

Re: Proof of EOL

We got enough proof with every z3 getting 5.1 except d6616. It is a shame T-Mobile ripped us off by selling a DOA device and then sitting behind blame sony for this slogan.I paid 600+ up front for this great device, sony botched 5.0.1 update causing slowdowns, heating and battery issues and fixed them in 5.1.1 update which we never saw. Forget 6.0 man, just give me a stable phone

Lesson learned, never buy any t-mobile branded device, better pay full price and buy an unlocked variant.

• stevetjr

It wasn't T-Mobile, Sony is the one who decided to abandon the US market, it is the same thing for the Z3v at Verizon.  Verizon and T-Mobile were the only ones that sold Sony phones in the US this last time around when Sony decided they wanted to make a push back into the US market and when it went flat they just pulled up stakes and left with no support at all. They do all the programing for the updates and since the US devices require some carrier specific programing and FCC certifications my guess is they figured they were leaving the market anyway so why take the time and $$ to do the development. Sony was gung ho when they were launching it but sure disappeared quick.

• yesh

Either way, I don't think T-mobile or Verizon would just let sony not support their phones two years into release. If what you said is valid, then I am pretty sure tmo has clauses that cover this scenario in their agreements.

In any case, the underlying cause for this issue is this device being a carrier specific one. We should thus keep in mind that unlocked international variants such as D6606 will always be better supported than any carrier specific model.

• stevetjr

yesh wrote:

Either way, I don't think T-mobile or Verizon would just let sony not support their phones two years into release. If what you said is valid, then I am pretty sure tmo has clauses that cover this scenario in their agreements.

In any case, the underlying cause for this issue is this device being a carrier specific one. We should thus keep in mind that unlocked international variants such as D6606 will always be better supported than any carrier specific model.

As to the first I would say I agree and if you remember T-Mobile briefly pulled the Z3 for a short time before making them available again (which was short lived) but if I remember correct that was before we even got 5.0.1 which also had the Band 12 radio update.  I am not sure that any manufacturer would agree to support a device for 2 years, probably more like one and don't ask me how I know but I do know that one thing that was an arrangement with T-Mobile regarding the Z3 was the Band 12 radio update.  That was at the point when T-Mobile was drawing the line in the sand that they wouldn't sell any device unless it supported Band 12.  T-Mobile didn't actually have any Band 12 sites live yet so Sony agreed that once live they would enable that feature but then just seemed to put it on the back burner because it was quite a few months after Band 12 started going live that they finally released the radio update which they included in LP.

You are correct the international (unlocked) variants will always be first to get the updates but that comes at a cost also. For instance with T-Mobile you will lose Wi-Fi calling (although some devices are now getting that with the base Android) but you may also lose VoLTE, HD Voice, GoGo texting, RCS (advanced messaging) which are just some of the features that have to be added by the device manufacturer to the OS before they can release it to T-Mobile.

• smplyunprdctble

stevetjr wrote:

I am not sure that any manufacturer would agree to support a device for 2 years, probably more like one

Android M details the end of Nexus device support - SlashGear

Nexus is 2 years for OS updates and 3 years or 18 months after last OS update of security updates.

Most manufacturers do about 16-18 months, depending on OS releases. (I don't know what manufacturers are starting to tout about security updates.  I know it's for newer devices not older)

18 months to 2 years sounds good to the average person because they upgrade every that timeframe due to wear and tear, JUMP, Upgrade Cycle [in olden days, therefore are accustomed to that timeframe], or they just want to.  The folks who keep their phones until they fall apart are the generation who just want it to work (they probably still have their 2nd Generation iPod, or still use cassettes in their car.