Unreal tmobile

|ostsou|

You've had the 6.0 marshmallow update for the note 4 going on a month or so you've released it for every phone above the note 4 and one below it the S5 for the love of GOD do something I for one am never buy another phone from you and I know you play your little game so people will buy new phones and when they do and the next generation of new phones come your going stick it to the people that just bought your new phones and again I for one am not going to fall for it if you don't get you stupid act together on updates I'm leaving tmobile you haven't even releases the security update patches for this phone the note 4 since NOVEMBER FOR GOD'S SAKE wake the @$!# up and get with the program people want their phone Up to date MOST IMPORTANTLY THEY WANT THEM SECURE ....GEEEZZZ

All replies

• e2k

Re: Unreal tmobile

I'm sure Samsung thanks you for blaming T-Mobile for what Samsung has not done. Or did you not know that updates are developed by the manufacturer?

Whatever carrier you device to use in the future, I put it to you: If you don't like the update situation, why buy a carrier branded phone at all (be from TMO or any other carrier)?

• tmo_lauren

There's a lot going on in this post!

As has been mentioned, manufacturers do provide the development for the carrier provided phones. There's approval that needs to happen on both sides, however the updates are ultimately developed by manufacturer. The update is in development, but no release date at this time.

-Lauren

• |ostsou|

You can't sit there and tell me that that they Samsung has not released the security updates if you do your a lier and Samsung has released the 6.0 marshmallow update for the note 4 so don't even go there sprint has had it out for 3 months att and verizon are both out so you wanna tell me you don't have it  I swear if you all keep coming up with excuses tmobile ...mine as well change there name to excuses. ..geezzz you people are ........

• theartiszan

Samsung needs to develop different updates for every variant of the phone. They can't just give you the same version that was released for Sprint and it isn't just some simple small changes to make it work for the T-Mobile variant. Plus Samsung needs to develop in Wi-Fi calling, volte, in flight sms, and all the other feature for T-Mobile. Plus after getting it on my s6, you really don't get much more in the way of features. Be patient and if there are no issues it should hopefully be released soon. You might see these as excuses but they are the facts of the software development world that effect release times. Just try to be patient.

• kanehi

I believe he just wants people to respond to his ranting, kind of like a troll.  Don't feed into it.  When Samsung releases the TMobile version it'll be great otherwise TMo can't do anything.  It'll probably not be a significant change anyways unless Samsung integrates Samsung pay.

• stevetjr

I don't think they will or can integrate Samsung pay since the Note 4

doesn't have MST in it.

• kanehi

Good to know, thanks.  I hope the upcoming Note 6 will have said feature and then some.

• stevetjr

If rumors are true the Note 6 will essentially be an S7 with a Stylus and bigger than the S7 Edge.  There is still debate amongst the rumors as to whether they will Edge the screen or not or make both a Note 6 and Note 6 Edge. They changed things up with the S7 by making the standard S7 5.1" and upsizing the S7e to 5.5" versus the S6 and S6e which were both 5.1 and the S6e+ which was the same size as the Note at 5.7".  So one wonders if they will even do an S7e+ or if they want to keep that 5.7" space exclusively for the Note now.  The biggest thing besides the MST is that the Note6 is supposed to be water resistant like the 7.

• kanehi

From what I've read Samsung is not releasing a "plus" version for the S7E as it's at it's max size already.  I did read that the GN6 will have a larger screen and will have both Edge and non edge versions.  Also rumored is a bendable screen for next year as Samsung did apply for a patent.  And Apple will go forward and have AMOLED screens for their iPhones... made by who else but Samsung.  Ironic that Apple sued Samsung but then Samsung manufactures parts for Apple.

• matesny

I gave up on waiting for Note 6, especially knowing it may have a permanent bootloader lock. I also gave up on waiting for a Note 4 Marshmallow Update. Pre ordered an HTC 10, hopefully that'll fix my anger issues

• |ostsou|

Stop stop stop with excuses tmobile had the update for the s6 s6 edge the note 5 said they didn't have the update it never went through tmobile testing on there phone update page then poof out of nowhere it's complete so stop please for the love God stop with the excuses and at least give us our security updates

• theartiszan

Um I am not sure what page you were looking at but I did see the s6 in their testing stage before I got it.

And those are not excuses, that is the development cycle.

• tmo_lauren

I can let you know that Samsung hasn't released an update for our variant of device. This isn't me trying to make excuses or lie, just the reality of the matter. Because we have a variety of features that need to be accounted for in development that theartiszan mentioned, like Wi-Fi calling, in flight, etc. we do need our own "flavor" of update.

Am I going to pretend that's ideal? No, ideally all the updates would just release at once for all variants of device similar to iOS releases, but even that comes with its own brand of caveats that leave it imperfect.

For why the Note 5 never changed status on the page, here on Support we work to get as many updates as we can, but there are some we don't get. In no way does that mean the device didn't go through testing, it absolutely did, we just didn't receive the update in a timely fashion to update. That's been called out to us in a few threads, and the Note 5 has been a particularly glaring example of a gap existing. The silver lining is the fact it has been called out gives us some options to leverage more communication, which is what we are actively working to do.

As was mentioned, this is just a part of the development cycle, but we are working to get as much info as we can. I'm doing my best to be candid and straight forward with you, but even so there's just not a date I can provide.

• stevetjr

Like the others you have said you are screaming at the wrong company, the only part T-Mobile plays in the process other than an agreement to proceed with an update is to test/certify the update on their network.  Once approved the actual release is again up to Samsung as the updates don't actually come from T-Mobile but actually come from Samsung servers and it is an known fact that Samsung will stagger updates as to not overwhelm the servers.  You say the S6 never showed testing, well I beg to differ as theartiszan said I also saw it changed on their software update page.

I suspect and this is my own opinion is the reason you stopped seeing security updates from Samsung since November is that is when they started rolling out MM to the international versions and quit doing the work to program security updates into LP and incorporated them all into MM and that is why when the MM update happens it includes the security updates thru April.  Google has said it themselves that there is an issue for the manufacturers when it comes to updates in that the manufacturers have to rework them to integrate them into their version of the OS and that is why one of the features they are trying to incorporate into Android N is to compartment the OS into strictly OS stuff and stuff that the manufacturers deal with so Google can release the security updates themselves and would only affect the compartmented part of the OS that the manufacturers would have no need to touch versus the way it is now where it is all intertwined.

• |ostsou|

It's all good was really just wondering about the security updates as phones go we have alot of stuff on our phones now a days CC numbers bank account apps and a slew of passwords and the hackers are getting better just wanting to keep my stuff secure ....later