livefyre

So, according to Cell radio not turning off w/ WiFi Calling, this was supposed to be addressed nearly a year ago. Now Marshmallow has come to the M9 and the problem is still there. I just had to set my phone to "Never use cellular network" 'cause that was chewing through battery (I barely get 2 bars of 2G inside my house, but I can step outside and get 3 bars of 4G).

May I suggest a fourth option in the connection preferences? A hybrid of the existing first and third option, set as default and allowing users to easily allow the phone to disable the cell radio while on WiFi calling (how it used to be, coming from an M7 myself), restoring behavior and expectations that we're all used to. This way those of us wanting that behavior can have it without having to go in and change it back and forth every time we leave the WiFi's area (which, for me, is any time I leave my home).

All replies

• tidbits

Re: WiFi calling, cell radio, and battery drainage

The way it is supposed to work. It is supposed to handoff when you walk away from Wifi just like UMA used to do. The old way if you walked away from Wifi it would drop the call.

• tidbits

Wifi only does what you ask... it's not a band-aid fix at all. It turns off the radio. When you go away from Wifi it will turn on the radio. If you want the handoff to happen that isn't going to happen without cellular being on because there is no connection while the radios are turning on.

• livefyre

And before this new system, that was the default behavior. We went from one extreme to the other with no middle ground. I'm not asking 'why'. I get 'why'. But, and I'm fairly certain the majority that use wifi calling would agree, the whole point of the feature is as a replacement for bad cell reception areas. Turning off that radio on my M7, which was the default of "Prefer WiFi networks", allowed my phone to go 4-5 days without having to charge.

I'm not asking why it was changed. When I'm on WiFi calling, it's because I have minimal to no signal. If the WiFi drops with the cell radio on or not, my call is dropping. Leaving the radio on does nothing for me except eat battery and force me to leave my phone plugged in.