Buffering While Streaming.

mvanzant

Hello,

My mobile internet has been buffering while streaming YouTube & Hulu. I am also now having a problem connecting and staying connected to the internet. It worked fine the first 2 weeks but now it is horrible. When I call TMobile they tell me to restart hotspot unit.. I have online college courses and I cannot afford to pay for substandard service. FYI, I am only 2.5 gb into the 6gb plan.The hotspot was $80 and the service is $35 a month. I need to know is this the normal level of service for the mobile hotspot? I live in a suburban area if NJ  Thank you!

All replies

• theartiszan

Re: Buffering While Streaming.

have you tried running a speed test to see what kind of download speed you get?

Possibly tried in a different location or at a different time.

I am wondering if it is that the network was congested when you were having this problem. Also I'm not sure if binge on applies here as that can possibly impact performance I bet.

• mvanzant

Thanks for the response. I will do the test.

• tmo_mike_c

Just wanted to check in mvanzant and see what the results were after you did the speed test. What kind of speeds are you getting? We definitely want you to have a stable connection while you're taking your courses.

• mvanzant

I'm sorry for the delay but I wanted to try a few things first. Someone at T-Mobile was nice enough to contact me and sent me a booster kit because she could tell from her system that the tower nearest me was giving a weak signal.

I wanted to test everything with the 6gb running and I also tested it with and without the Binge and it is still horrible. I am literally looking now at half of my college homepage, which has been loading for five minutes. I tried connecting with my phone and got right through. How is this possible? Forget streaming, that is not even possible, but accessing regular websites? My phone and the hotspot are both accessing the same tower, right?

BTW, download speed is 54Kbps.Lol!!

Sent from my ASUS

• tmo_mike_c

Hmm. Okay. The booster is designed to repeat the signal that you get near a window and push it through the rest of the house. It's not designed to improve signal on a specific tower.

I agree that both the phone and hotspot are most likely connected to the same tower. So, they should have a similar experience when connected. Since the sites are connecting with your phone just fine, have you tried resetting the hotspot device and retesting?

• mvanzant

Ok, I thought of something. Windows 10 has been stalking me for weeks and I had been putting it off. It finally downloaded one day when my back was turned. I decided to delete Windows 10 and go back to 8.1 just to test it. ( as a non-techie I am just trying everything, lol) This morning I got right on. I tried many different sites and it worked great. I obviously am sending this later in the day at 3:00pm and it is still working. I'm going to try again at peak time tonight to test it. I don't know if this is a coincidence or what. Anyone, I will continue to monitor and I will also try streaming. Maybe this was my problem. Of course, if it is, I have no idea how I am going  to upgrade but one step at a time. Thank You!

Best Regards,

Monica Vanzant

http://www.monicavanzant.com