9 Replies Latest reply: Apr 18, 2016 9:08 AM by jfuente11 RSS

Blocked phone after 7 months because of previous owner even though Tmobile told cleared it.

kj88

I bought an iPhone 6 from another Tmobile customer 7 months ago. The phone had a balance when i bought it, but within a few days it had been paid. I was told this by the previous owner And several t-mobile reps. I was told that it was clear again when i went into a store to get a new sim. Now, 7 months later, my phone has been blocked for non-payment. I have no idea how thats possible, but even if its true that there was some remaining balance its because of the PREVIOUS OWNER. Blocking the phone doesn't do anything to them, it's just hurting me! After spending 90 minutes on the phone i was told that it was blocked for non payment and they couldn't talk to me about it and that essentially the $600 phone i bought less than a year ago was worthless and i would need to buy another one. I can't do anything to fix the issue, because it is not a problem with me or my account. However, its my phone that is being blocked! I'm so frustrated I'm probably just going to cancel my plan tomorrow and i'm definitely going to encourage the rest of my family to switch to someone who won't pull this on me. It's an expensive phone and i'm being penalized for someone else months later after being told it it was already taken care of! AND t-mobile will not do anything to fix it! They won't even work with me or talk to me about it because i'm not the one who failed to pay anything.

• 1. Re: Blocked phone after 7 months because of previous owner even though Tmobile told cleared it.
          gramps28

This is the reason why I would never buy a used phone from a Tmobile user.

Did you buy it from eBay or some other auction site. On ebay they usually wait to stop payment

or report it stolen 6 months after they sell it so you can't file a claim against them.

• 2. Re: Blocked phone after 7 months because of previous owner even though Tmobile told cleared it.
            e2k

kj88 wrote:

I'm so frustrated I'm probably just going to cancel my plan tomorrow and i'm definitely going to encourage the rest of my family to switch to someone who won't pull this on me.

This is not unique to T-Mobile. All carriers have this policy. Once a phone gets blocked, it is blocked on all carriers.

A phone may be in good standing at the time of resale, but often times, the original owner will stop making payments, causing the device to be blacklisted. Carriers have know way of predicting this.

Even if a phone is owned outright, some people will file a false damage/loss/theft claim, get a replacement, and fail to return the original device (which they have already resold to an unsuspecting buyer), causing it to get blocked. Hence, buying any device secondhand involves risk.

• 3. Re: Blocked phone after 7 months because of previous owner even though Tmobile told cleared it.
              smplyunprdctble

kj88 wrote:

but even if its true that there was some remaining balance its because of the PREVIOUS OWNER. Blocking the phone doesn't do anything to them, it's just hurting me!

Think of a car.

They sell it to you and somehow have payments on it still (analogy isn't perfect since a title can't easily be transferred while payments are being made since you don't have the title).  If that original owner doesn't pay off the remainder of the car, it goes into default and the bank can take the car away from you.  (still not a perfect analogy because it harms the original owner's credit and that, but maybe they had a life ending disease or something and they used the money to go to Disney instead of paying it off).

The problem with reselling phones is without a reputable seller, you don't know what's going on (and even then, they could have been reputable at the time then seven months later do something shady and it's too late to go change your rating on them).

It could also have been a clerical mistake where the seller has multiple lines and needed to claim insurance and the wrong insurance was claimed.

In short, you need to follow up with the original owner of the device to see what went wrong and get them to resolve it.

• 4. Re: Blocked phone after 7 months because of previous owner even though Tmobile told cleared it.
                awksone

Most carriers you can check the EIN on line and it will tell you if is a clear phone or money is still owed on it. If money is owed walk away from the deal simple as that.

• 6. Re: Blocked phone after 7 months because of previous owner even though Tmobile told cleared it.
                  snn_555

I once tried to check the status of a used phone from a friend.  The account that the phone was on was current at the time.  The account had 2 lines on it, with different contract dates.  Phone 1's owner had passed away and phone 1 was switched over to the second line on the account when T-Mobile cancelled that line due to extenuating circumstances.  Well, the phone was able to be used until the end of the 2nd lines contract period.  However, after that point, the phone no longer worked because, even though T-Mobile was nice enough to cancel that original line with no ETF, the phone was never actually paid off.  (The 2nd line's phone was the same price but different older model so it was paid in the same amounts for the same amount of time)  To this day, it still will never work again because that contract was cancelled before the full payment was made.

• 7. Re: Blocked phone after 7 months because of previous owner even though Tmobile told cleared it.
                    tmo_mike_c

I feel for you kj88 and it's unfortunate that this happened to you. Since this does stem from the previous owner's account, they would have needed to handle the balance prior to selling you the phone. It doesn't make any sense for the phone to be blocked if it was in fact paid off by the previous owner. Are you able to get a refund from the seller until they can get this account issue taken care of?

• 8. Re: Blocked phone after 7 months because of previous owner even though Tmobile told cleared it.
                      stevetjr

kj88 wrote:

I'm so frustrated I'm probably just going to cancel my plan tomorrow and i'm definitely going to encourage the rest of my family to switch to someone who won't pull this on me.

All the carriers share blacklisted (stolen) IMEI's with each other (essentially a common database) so you can switch to whomever you want but under the same scenario the same thing is going to happen.  Just like smplyunprdctble example if you bought a car from a non dealer and it turns out the car was stolen and they didn't catch it for 7 months then impounded they car that you should get to use it just because in your mind it was yours? If a loan is taken out for something and it is not paid for then it is for lack of a better term stolen.  Did you intend to buy a stolen phone, of course not but there are plenty of thieves out there that do and from what I have heard and it is common amongst all the carriers now is that someone will steal an identity, buy a phone on a carriers EIP program then sell it as fast as possible before it hits the blacklist or the other common one is file an insurance claim get a replacement but never send the other device in and sell it and by the time for the return has run out, the insurance company notifies T-Mobile the device is now unaccounted for and to bill the customer and to blacklist the device it has been sold to some one unsuspecting. That is why T-Mobile created this addition to their site IMEI Status Check | See if Your Phone Works on T-Mobile 4G Network because they were first to do away with service contracts and just finance phones so they were the first to get hit with this scam but now since all the other carriers have copied T-Mobile and have similar plans it happens to all of them.

• 9. Re: Blocked phone after 7 months because of previous owner even though Tmobile told cleared it.
                        jfuente11

Unfortunately, kj88 profile shows that last logged in was April 05 as of this moment...