dgriff

I am moving soon and where I am moving to I don't get T-Mobile. Only Verizon as far as I know. I was looking to see exactly what the Personal Cellspot does I was reading the overview and am a little confused. It says 

No existing coverage is even required. Then not far under that it says Device must be installed in a location where T-Mobile:  •Offers service. Where I'm confused is  If they offered service wouldnt you have some kind of  coverage? I have the Signal Boosters now but the require at least  1 bar of service and the work so good but will not work where I'm going. Was hoping maybe this Cellspot could. Thank you in advance for any help.

All replies

• snn_555

Re: 4G LTE Cellspot

There are a few different T-Mobile CellSpot-type devices.  To use any of them, you must live in an area where T-Mobile service is sold. 

There are 4G LTE cellspots that pick up whatever level of signal may be available right outside your home's window and relay that to a second box inside your home, basically repeating the outside signal to the inside.  So, if you have 1 bar outside, you'd have 1 bar inside.

There are also WiFi CellSpot routers, which use your existing home broadband internet and allow WiFi-Calling.  I have one, and it works great, but T-Mobile is also a service offered in my area and is advertised as such.

I might call T-Mobile, start a support chat, or contact T-Force on social media and inquire as to which device is best suited for the location.

• drakenhoffen

The term Offers service refers to them selling numbers there.

Take for example Tmobile has service in town but you live outside of town by just a little bit so no tower would reach you.  They do Offer Service there, just not at your exact location.  A Wifi Cellspot might be a good choice to use your cell phone at home and you would have service when you went into town. 

I think one of the main reasons Offers Service clause is FCC says you can't take their device to an area that another company owns that spectrum and rebroadcast blocking their signal of the other company.

Last I was told it was a 25 dollar deposit on the device. And you needed high speed internet with 3mb down and 512k up,  But I would not want to attempt with anything less that 6mb down, 1 mb up.

I would check the coverage map and see if they offer any service there and you can go from there.

• snn_555

Minimum 1MB down.  No deposit (I didn't pay a deposit)  Works fine on a 2MB down 1MB up connection.  But I also use a bonded 8 channel down 4 channel up Arris/Moto DOCSIS 3.0 modem with my TM-AC1900 router.  I run my phone and WIFI calling on the 5GHZ band, but again, I have a clean signal from the modem and never drop connection.

This set up is working great for me, YMMV.

• dgriff

The funny thing is that when I put the address in the coverage map it says I should get phone calls and data outside with high speed and possible droplease calls inside. Something like that. But it's a minimum 45 minute drive in either way before I get service. So the coverage map way off for that area. If it's a 45 minute drive then they probably don't offer service there I'd assume.

• snn_555

Even if a cellspot router helps you make Wi-Fi calls at home that's still 45 minutes to and 45 minutes from an hour and a half a day with no service so you might actually have to go with a carrier that has correct service in your area.

• drakenhoffen

Are you trying to do BYOD?

I tried to do BYOD and had coverage issues among other things.  My Verizon phone could do Band 13 but not Band 12.

Band 12 was/is the new one they are rolling out.  After I tried a T-mobile phone most all of my coverage issues went away.

700MHz LTE map » TmoNews

• drnewcomb2

dgriff wrote:

...... So the coverage map way off for that area. If it's a 45 minute drive then they probably don't offer service there I'd assume.

What a surprise. Actually, T-Mobile's coverage maps are way off in a lot of places.

My suggestion is that you don't try to live with T-Mobile service in an area where you are 45 minutes from the nearest signal. Rather, go to a carrier that provides you with a signal. What phone are you using?

• dgriff

I'm not BYOD. I am using Galaxy S6 Edge. I'm not really sure about all this Band 12 Hype. I was getting poornservice

• dgriff

Poor service in my house. Found out I was on band 12 but it was a tower far away. I changed some settings in the service menu now I have full bare LTE alway. Majority of time on band 4. Anyways I think I'm just gonna get a cheap Verizon phone and plannor cheap prepay thing.

• drnewcomb2

If your idea is to keep your T-Mobile service but to also get a cheap Verizon prepaid as backup for areas T-Mobile does not cover, let me tell you how I handle it. I have an old ex-Alltel flip phone that I keep active on a PagePlus PAYG plan. I put a $10 top-up on it every 4 months (total about $30/year) to keep it alive. PagePlus charges 50¢/mo as an account maintenance fee, so the net is about 240 min. of calling @ 10¢/min. I almost never use this phone but it's good to have if I have to call AAA from a place where I don't have T-Mobile service.

• tmo_mike_c

Hey dgriff!

Just checking in to see if you needed anymore clarification on using a coverage device. On a side note, we're working on the coverage map. My apologizes if it's not matching up with what your phone shows.

• magenta1648652

Can I just buy a Cellspot on eBay and hook it up to my router? I know T-Mobile will say no, but it is not that complicated of a unit, has anyone done this?