|ostsou|

For the love of God when in the HECK are we the note 4 users ever going to get our monthly security updates I'm still on November's security update do we pretty much have to wait to get the new OS to get our security updates every other phone and service provider are pushing the SECURITY UPDATES left and right but not TMOBILE. ..wake up tmobile

All replies

• stevetjr

Re: When when when security UPDATES

Updates come from Samsung not T-Mobile.  I suspect Samsung hasn't done one since November because they have been trying to get MM pushed out and probably aren't spending time with security updates to LP or probably don't even apply to LP.  The GS7 just got an update with other stuff but also had the April security update so suspect when the Note gets MM they will include the latest security update in it.  Just my opinion other than T-Mobile has nothing to do with updates other than test and sign off on them.

One thing that may help with this in the future is that one purported feature that is being worked on for Android N is making the OS more "modular" so basically the core Android which even the manufacturers don't play with will be sectioned off in such a way Google can update them (ie security updates) without having to have the manufacturers put their spin (Touchwiz and etc) on them and then the manufacturers can just deal with their section which in turn should help them with coding updates when new OS's come out.

• cbf9427

Samsung has definitely released security patches for the Note 4 that are much newer than the November 2015 patch that my phone has. Here's one from March for example: http://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-galaxy-s5-note-5-march-security-patch-680642/.

I'm sure Samsung makes these patches available to all carriers. T-Mobile just hasn't bothered to pick it up and release it to its customers.

Google's recent policy is to release Android security patches monthly to all OEMs. Perhaps Samsung hasn't applied every month's security patch to the Lollipop build of the Note 4, but they've clearly released some since November.

That Marshmellow is out for the Note 4 isn't much of an excuse, considering T-Mobile hasn't released it yet. Google is still releasing security patches for Lollipop, and will be for some time. I'm really getting very close to buying nothing but Nexus phones if the OEMs and carriers can't collectively get their sh*t together about security.

• stevetjr

Did you even read the article you linked?  It even points out that Samsung was sued for not releasing updates not the carriers. 

Interestingly enough, the Dutch Consumers’ Association filed a lawsuit against Samsung over its update policy, or lack thereof, a couple of months back. It’s just speculation, but this may have had at least some small influence over Samsung’s decision to roll out the update in these particular regions. Although Samsung is no stranger to sporadically rolling out its updates in Europe either.

• |ostsou|

E LOVE OF GOD

GET SECURE

Verizon pushes June security patch update to Samsung Galaxy Note 4

3 hours ago

If you're using a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 onVerizon, you may want to check for an update. The carrier has just begun pushing out an over-the-air update to the phone, bringing it up to date with the June Android security patch.

Verizon pushes June security patch update to Samsung Galaxy Note 4

From Verizon:

The current software update gives you the most up to date Android™ security patch on your device.

Once updated, your Note 4 should be up to software version MMB29M.N910VVRU2CPF3 with the latest security patch installed. If you haven't yet been prompted to install the update, you can check manually through you phone's Settings menu.

Have you nabbed the update yet? Let us know what you think in the comments or on our forums!

Thanks to Ed and quayday8 for the tips!

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD @TMOBILE GET WHAT THE PROGRAM AND AT LEAST GIVE US OUR SECURITY UPDATES WE'RE STILL ON NOVEMBER'S SECURITY UPDATE

• timz1313

Damn. .I need it Now. .omg..

• |ostsou|

That just go's to show you how lazy @Tmobile is heck we're still on November's security update from LAST YEAR. ...Dang @tmobile  wake the .... UP AND GET WITH THE PROGRAM FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. ...

• stevetjr

|ostsou| wrote:

That just go's to show you how lazy @Tmobile is heck we're still on November's security update from LAST YEAR. ...Dang @tmobile  wake the .... UP AND GET WITH THE PROGRAM FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. ...

It's not T-Mobile they don't program the updates or release them, all they do is test the updates and sign off on them.  Updates even OTA come off of Samsung servers. Verizon got the June Security update because it finally got MM and I suspect that the reason the last security update was November because that is when MM started really rolling out and a LP security update has different programing requirements to integrate so Samsung didn't do anymore for LP.  T-Mobile devices have quite a few "custom" features none of the other carriers have which all require OS level programing and obviously takes longer.

• kungfubass1961

just got a security from T-Mobile note 4 still rocks