Phone Number Availability

familyphone

Perhaps a question more technical than the norm, but here goes:

In 1999, NJ area code 609 was split, and two numbers used by my family were put in storage by Global Naps. From what I've found, after 17 years out of service, these numbers where part of a Hammonton, NJ rate center block made available to "6626-Omnipoint Communications Enterprises" (T-Mobile) on 02/02/16.

There is nothing I'd like better than two ditch Verizon and join T-Mobile, if I could regain the use of these two numbers, one of which, since it's creation in 1958, has been used by no one but my family alone.

I have two SIM cards on order, based on a phone call affirmation of the numbers' availability, but a recent call to an activation associate has me concerned. He said it was very difficult to find the number(s), and believed they were held by another carrier.

Is there a way to confirm that he is correct? Is it possible that since the availability is only two months old, that these two pooling blocks are not showing in the system yet?

My apologies if this is an overly-technical question on the inner-workings. While there's obviously a "warm fuzzies" aspect to this request, there's also the practical aspect of the aged, landline-only, speed-dial-less members of my family already knowing my "new" phone numbers by heart.

Thanks,

-Jeff

All replies

• e2k

Re: Phone Number Availability

Generally, you just get whatever # they assign you or that you port from an existing account on another carrier. You might be able to say "I don't like that #, may I have a different one?", but I don't think TMO can give you a specific # that you request.

• tmo_mike_c

Hey just chiming in here to throw in my 2 cents. T-Mobile isn't able to guarantee a certain number when you're porting in. Our system is designed to generate available numbers at the time in which you decide to port. Since numbers can vary based on when other lines are activated for that area code, we wouldn't be able to promise we could get you a specific number.

• familyphone

Thanks, tmo_mike_c. When I first called T-mobile, my expectations weren't high, in regard to getting the numbers I believed were available. It was only through the encouragement of the first and second calls, that I continued on. In the first call, I was assured by the guy I talked to that getting the number would be no problem at all. He put me on hold and apparently looked it up, came back and asked me the number's rate center, put me on hold again and then came back assuring me it was all do-able, I just had to give the number to the activation associate, so based on this I ordered a SIM card. A second call for a second number went much the same, this time I was given the suggestion I do some sort of pre-SIM activation. The associate I was then transferred to seemed to be an English-as-a-second-language fellow, working from home, as there was loud music blaring in the background. He told me my number would be difficult to find, but he had another number I would like. I told him no, it was only the one number I wanted, but he just said he had this other number, so I again said no. Then, a day or two later I got an email confirmation that I'd been activated with this random number. I have the two SIM cards here, sitting next to me, that I've yet to activate, but one thing seems clear, I've got nothing but trouble ahead, including an 80 dollar charge (at least), for an account I've no intention of using. I initially didn't expect to be able to use these numbers, but I thought I would at least inquire, and it was only by the surprising assurances I received from the customer service people that I continued. If I've been misled, simply to bolster the new-account stats of these customer service folks, well... it's a pity I wasn't given the truth from the outset.

• e2k

familyphone wrote:

I have the two SIM cards here, sitting next to me, that I've yet to activate, but one thing seems clear, I've got nothing but trouble ahead, including an 80 dollar charge (at least), for an account I've no intention of using.

If you don't intend to use the account, I suggest cancelling it. If you do so without using the service (i.e., do not insert the SIM card into your device) you will owe nothing, provided you do so soon. I don't know exactly how long you have, but you certainly don't want to go into the second billing cycle.

• familyphone

Thanks e2k, I confess though, I still have some small hope of getting these numbers, assuming I haven't been misled by T-Mobile employees. Is there a way of determining this, one way or another, without going too far and inserting the SIMs?

• e2k

familyphone wrote:

Thanks e2k, I confess though, I still have some small hope of getting these numbers, assuming I haven't been misled by T-Mobile employees. Is there a way of determining this, one way or another, without going too far and inserting the SIMs?

I'm not sure which department you spoke with initially (sales or customer care), but it seems like you received inaccurate information. If I understand correctly, the number you want is not currently in service. Unless you are currently using the # in question on a different carrier, you won't get that # on the T-mobile network.

• familyphone

Thanks to all for the replies. In the end I was not able to get the numbers in question, but the last T-Mobile person I spoke with bent over backwards to help me out. She spent a good deal of time searching and letting me know what blocks *were* available in the same exchange I was looking for. My block isn't showing at all at this point, which for me is a satisfying resolution.

My account was cleared with no charges, and since these numbers have only been available for a couple months, perhaps I'll try again in 6 months or so. Despite the initial hiccup, my overall experience with T-Mobile has been a very good one.