rs0212

I Currently have several lines on the $120 simple choice family plan with most of them grandfathered into the $20 Unlimited Data option. I have reviewed the new promo plan, Which includes unlimited data for all lines on the plan, and it would save me money to switch to that plan. my question is, is the data going to be the same if I switch?  the description under my old data option days "Unlikited 4G Data" but the description of the data on this new plan says "Unlimited 4G LTE Data."  I am wondering if i switch and am on regular 4G instead of LTE, I would be limited, or if i get this plan somehow I'll be forced away from unlimited data in the future. can anyone shed some light on this for me? Thanks!

All replies

• e2k

Re: Unlimited Data Question

Nearly all plans are unlimited, but unlimited does not mean high-speed. You will be throttled once you deplete your data bucket.

I suggest looking at the details of the "promo plan" (I don't know what plan you are referring to). Most plans have a bucket of high-speed data, after which you can still use data (theoretically to an unlimited extent), but it will be throttled at 64-128 kb/s.

• rs0212

Hi,

Both plans I am referring to have unlimited high-speed data. I just don't know if the new one is limited only to LTE (as opposed to regular 4G) and also if there are any drawbacks of switching from my current unlimited 4g data to the advertised unlimited LTE data.

Thanks

• matesny

Both plans I am referring to have unlimited high-speed data.

64K is nowhere near "high speed". It is useless, once you get throttled, your data life ends for the month

Have you had "unlimited high speed data" with this plan you are on, never got throttled? if yes, stick with it!

• e2k

rs0212 wrote:

Hi,

I just don't know if the new one is limited only to LTE (as opposed to regular 4G) and also if there are any drawbacks of switching from my current unlimited 4g data to the advertised unlimited LTE data.

Thanks

It should include LTE/4G/3G/2G. I know of no plans that restrict LTE but not 4G. But If you want to be absolutely sure, read the fine print.

• dgriff

It sounds like you're talking about the 3 lines for $150 and the 4th line free. It has unlimited high speed data. You won't be limited to only LTE speeds but just Givin the option to have it unlimited opposed to other plans that give you unlimited data but only 5 gig of it at LTE soeeds. My plan is similar and when I'm in an area where there's no LTE or it is weak it goes to the nearest strongest signal usually being 4g. Sounds to me if you switch things will be just about the same but you'll have the option of faster speeds if phone is capable and LTE is in your area. Just my opinion though. Like everyone else said it's best to read up on it and make sure. I'm think of switching that plan myself but not sure I want to lose the already great plan I'm with now.

• smplyunprdctble

The grandfathered unlimited plans should be the same as the new unlimited plans.

You'll be deprioritized at 25GB, which I believe may be the same for the grandfathered ones (I haven't hit that amount, so I really don't know from a personal standpoint)

You WILL get more Smartphone Mobile Hot Spot (SMHS / Tethering) -- the grandfathered plans are limited to 2.5GB last I checked.  This new plan is 14GB, according to the documentation.

The caveat is you'll never be able to go back to your current plan.  So, if you currently have 5 lines and your kids grow up and you need to cut lines down, you'll wind up paying the new rates, whether they're higher or lower and whether or not they're unlimited (that whole unknown -- especially since you never see a headline of "Psychic wins lottery").

If I were in the situation, I probably wouldn't switch as there's the possibility of getting rid of lines as kids grow up and there's uncertainty as to where plans will go in the future.

• rs0212

Thank you all for your help, and thank you smplyunprdctble for your insight. I will weigh this out. One more question, I've heard rumors that unlimited data is only guaranteed for two years, is this only for the new plans or include the old ones too? If I'll be more likely to be able to keep unlimited by sticking to the old plan, my decision is easier. i know you're not a t-mobile rep and yes, never heard of a psychic winning the lottery   but any thoughts would be appreciated.

• smplyunprdctble

The "unlimited data for two years" seems to be rumors.

As one of the DJs on the radio station I listen to in the morning says, "where there's smoke, there's fire." - especially with this recent article: T-Mobile plans to pivot away from unlimited data, says CFO Braxton Carter » TmoNews

The thing is cell carriers have traditionally grandfathered people into their existing plans as long as the customer doesn't change it.  So, if you purchased an Unlimited plan the day before they changed, you'll stay on it.  I have a pretty sweet grandfathered plan (a friend of mine's son who works for T-Mobile is totally jealous).  Through all these changes they've done, my plan has not been touched.

If you're looking at a promo plan, you need to know if the promo has an end date and what happens to your plan as of the end date (do you go on to a current available plan?  Do you go on a pre-specified plan?)

• robopti

As a 2 month T-Mobile customer who came over from the original true unlimited data plan from Verizon. Let me be clear - so EVERYONE can read it ...

The T-Mobile plan should be called the 28G plan - because to be told that you are "prioritized" is a COMPLETE JOKE !!!! .. It throttles my phone 24/7 to virtually dead unusable device. It is COMPLETELY dishonest marketing and I dont give a damn what the fine print says.

Yes I am a HEAVY data user - ZERO !!!! hot spotting - just a ton of streaming audio / video .. and the second my phone hits 28G used - DONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!! ... UNUSABLE and worthless until the billing cycle

I am gong to pursue this ,.. but it is NOT !!!! unlimited .. It is a 28gig plan .. PERIOD

• tidbits

Good luck for the past 10+ years courts and even the tech world understands the difference between unlimited data and unlimited bandwidth. When a tower becomes congested and you are priority 0 doesn't mean everyone around you have ultimately faster speeds than you, and you are being throttled.

Personally have see. Coworkers of mine and myself in California get varied speeds depending on which towers we are connected to. Most of these kids use way more data I do and when there are congested I get speeds like 1mbps and ironically so do they and they average like 60gb usage a month. We go one tower over and viola we all go up to at least 25mbps.