WiFi won't stay off?

aceh

From the quick settings area, the WiFi icon is no longer illuminated when on.  When I go to settings and turn off WiFi it turns itself back on, it won't say off and it no longer illuminates when on. When I re-boot the phone it works only once after the re-boot then goes back to the same problem.  Any help with this would be appreciated.

All replies

• phatty42

Re: WiFi won't stay off?

I have the same problem with the same phone. I have spent 3 hours trying to fix it and I can't get it. And I'm good with technology and can normally fix problems pretty fast. Might just have to wait for them to patch it.

• aceh

Yesterday, 3/24/2016, I noticed that issue is resolved.  I didn't do anything it seems to have fixed itself.  I doubt if there was a software fix which downloaded and installed without my consent.  When I check for a software update it says I'm up to date.

P.S.  The only thing I did yesterday was a re-boot to my phone.

• phatty42

Alright, I will just re-boot my phone once a day and maybe it will fix itself.

• phatty42

I re-booted my phone one time today and it fixed. But yet I re-booted it at least 5 times yesterday and it didn't help it. That's just kind of weird.

• aceh

I'm glad it worked for you.  You are right it is weird because I had rebooted a few times before it worked for me.

• aceh

I'm having the same problems again but this time it's becoming more difficult to fix.  Reboot after reboot even turning it off for a while and so far it's still not working.  Geez!  I hope this is fixed with a firmware upgrade.

• pbsallad

I'm getting the same problem. It happened once before when I installed Android Marshmallow. Then I fixed it with a factory reset. But the problem came back yesterday and I'm not sure why. I think it happened this time after my phone installed some updates for my apps. I was also streaming a video at the time.

• matesny

If a problem is fixed by a factory reset and comes back later on, it very likely is caused by a misbehaving app. Something you run wants to have constant wifi connection and any app on Android universe can appoint itself as the CEO of the Network department!

Under Android M, you can revoke such app privileges in runtime (but not in Lollipop)

• pbsallad

@matseny

That's an interesting theory. But I don't know if it would explain this "When I re-boot the phone it works only once after the re-boot then goes back to the same problem".

I re-boot the phone, and Wi-Fi stays off. But when I turn it on again after a while the problem starts. Does this app need Internet connectivity  first? Wouldn't it just turn the Wi-Fi on from the get go?

I don't know if it explains why the Wi-Fi button doesn't work from the notification bar either. I can hold on it and it brings up the settings, but clicking it once and the button looks like it's off. It cannot be "clicked on", you can only hold it to bring up the settings.

One of my problems too is it disconnects from the Wi-Fi network and does not re-connect. I have to manually do it, only for it disconnect after a certain amount of time. Now, after the phone has re-booted and I turn Wi-Fi on it will auto connect to one of my saved networks. But like I said before, it will disconnect after some time (I haven't timed it) and not re-connect unless I manually do it. So confusing.

I'm in contact with T-Mobile's support through Facebook. Hopefully they can figure this out.

• matesny

All of that can be explained with my theory Though it requires several really bad app developers to accomplish such behavior

This is indeed an interesting behavior. You should go to Google's Android board and open a ticket with this. If this is being caused by an app as my theory suggests, it implies a deep flaw in the way privileges are handed to the apps by Android.

In any case I'd think this is going to require a Level 2 Support to fully resolve, unless you are willing to Factory Reset and live without any other apps for a test period.

• aceh

@matseny stated:  "When I re-boot the phone it works only once after the re-boot then goes back to the same problem".

" I re-boot the phone, and Wi-Fi stays off. But when I turn it on again after a while the problem starts"

I have the exact same problem.

• aceh

(Here's the email address I used to contact LG Electronics - lgcarecenter@lge.com)

I contacted LG and here's their response:

Thank you for contacting LG Electronics,

We are more than happy to help you and apologize for any inconvenience that you are having. Based on the problem you described, can you please turn on your Airplane mode and try your Wi-Fi button. If that won’t help, please perform a factory data reset by going into your system settings> backup and reset> reset. If the issue persists, it will be necessary to send your phone to our repair facility to have our technicians inspect it and perform any necessary repairs.

I would be more than happy to process a repair authorization for you. Please keep in mind that this process may take 7-9 business days. Our warranty covers 1 year from the date of purchase and 15 months from the manufacturing date on the phone. Please provide us the IMEI so we can check the manufacturing date.

You may have an alternate option by visiting our local service provider. Would you like to proceed with the LG service option or would you like to try with your service provider first?

Should it be needed, you are more than welcome to send us a reply with the following information in case you decide to send your phone for repair services:

- Full name

- Contact number

- Alternative contact number

- Complete Physical address

- IMEI (or MEID or ESN) number of the phone (can be obtained by going to Phone Settings - About Phone - Status/Phone Identity; printed on a sticker in the box; on the back of your phone once the battery is removed or call your carrier)

- The phone may have an anti-theft feature that allows no one expect the owner to access the unit after a reset. To service the device, may we have your permission to disable this feature?

• matesny

Here is what usually happens in this scenario:

You send your phone to manufacturer:

A- They send it back to you claiming there is nothing wrong with it.

or

B- They send it back to you claiming they performed repairs but you have the exact same issues with it.

or

C- They send you a replacement phone (refurbished one). You set it up using your backed up data and same problems come back.

or in an extremely unlikely case

D- They send you something back, that works!

So I suggest doing a full factory reset before you decide to ship your phone to LG. Back up your contacts and any data you need but never restore your apps from a backup.

It could be a simple antenna malfunction or an issue with the circuit but chances are it is caused by a rogue app.

• aceh

After the last software update the old WIFI problem is back.  I have to reboot the phone to turn it on and after a while it doesn't work so I have to keep rebooting the phone to use the WIFI.  I was considering getting the new LG Stylo 2 Plus but wonder if it too has this WIFI problem?  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

• aceh

Today after my phone updated some apps it started again.  I don't know which app is doing it.  I uninstalled an app which I thought was the culprit but that wasn't it.

• aceh

Regarding the WiFi issue in this thread, has anyone else noticed that when you reboot the phone, after you unlock your phone with a 4 digit code when the phone goes to the home screen, across the bottom of the home screen it is white for a split second then it turns normal.  I've noticed this every time I reboot after I have the wifi problem.  Without the wifi problem I don't see this issue.