bnewall1

Greetings everyone!

New member here... we switched to T-Mobile in August 2015.  I am mostly happy with the service, and VERY happy with the pricing!  Plus, I love the fact that we can use our phones in Canada and Mexico just like in the US (we're on the Simple Choice North America plan), and use text and data around the world at no extra charge.

On the down-side, it seems that T-Mobile's coverage in other countries is far better than in the US.  We made a drive from San Diego to Seattle last year (in 2 separate vehicles, helping a family member move), and every time we got outside of a major metropolitan area, especially in northern CA, our signal pretty much disappeared.  We were without coverage throughout most of Oregon, aside from when we went through the major cities -- Eugene, Salem, and Portland.

But what bugs me the most is that I have practically NO coverage inside my building at work!  I work in the Carmel Mountain Ranch area of San Diego inside a 2-story building.  Outside, I get full 4G LTE coverage.  Inside, I get 2G (Edge) at best, but most of the time, no data.  Even texts often fail to send.  I have to use WiFi calling to get reliable phone and text service, which I can do, but I've also noticed that every time I move from one part of the building to another, if my phone roams from one wireless access point to another, it loses the connection, then re-associates, and half of the time, WiFi Calling gets stuck trying to re-enable itself, and I have to turn off WiFi, disable WiFi Calling, turn WiFi back on, wait for it to connect, then re-enable WiFi calling.  Sometimes, I have to restart the phone.

I just saw an ad while watching a YouTube video this morning about how great T-Mobile's indoor coverage is.  Um... not so much!  Other places, too, if I go inside, I often drop down to 4G or Edge.

I just came across something about the different frequencies and bands on LTE.  According to documentation I found, my Note 4 supports the various bands T-Mobile uses, but I'm wondering if there's a way to force the phone onto a particular LTE band?  I *am* able to force it to GSM-only (2G), which seems to work a little better for voice/text, but of course, data SUCKS at that speed.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

All replies

• tmo_mike_c

Re: Change frequencies on Galaxy Note 4

Welcome to the forum bnewall1! We're glad to have ya!

I'd like to share a few thoughts on your coverage and help shine some light on this. First off, I checked the coverage in San Diego and I'm seeing there is 4G coverage out there. You should be able to connect to the 2100 frequency automatically as long as the 4G LTE setting turned on. https://support.t-mobile.com/community/phones-tablets-devices/android/samsung-galaxy-note-4#id_875122. In some cases where you don't connect by default, you can try a manual network selection to find T-Mobile's network and it should connect to the strongest signal available. The only factors that could interfere are certain building structures as well as foliage. We could look into filing a Service Complaint with our T-Force team on our Contact Us page. This will get field techs to investigate the coverage loss when you go indoors.

Just a side note, T-Mobile is continuing to roll out the extended range LTE services in various markets, including those in California. It's great because your phone already supports this frequency and it'll help with coverage indoors. Looking at Oregon and a few major cities there, I did see that there are several areas that already have the extended range LTE so it sounds like you've been able to connect in those areas and take advantage of this coverage. There's some site modernization going on there so I suspect any connection issues could be related to enhancements being made.

• bnewall1

Thanks for the reply, Mike!  Whenever I'm outside, I have no problem getting full 4G LTE coverage.  At home, I also get full LTE.  But within larger buildings, such as my office and often inside stores and restaurants, I lose LTE and sometimes lose 4G as well.  It's been a problem since I got my phone back in August 2015.  Also, I originally started out with a Galaxy S6, and then switched to a Note 4 in October.  Both phones suffered the same connectivity problems, so I'm sure it isn't a phone issue.

I will look at the T-Force team suggestion.  I know I'm not the first person with T-Mobile in my office to have this problem, although most of my colleagues have Verizon or AT&T.

Thanks!

• tmo_mike_c

No problem friend!

I would also ask that you keep in mind that some building material can present a challenge for signal to penetrate. It's still worth having our field techs take a look at it though. You'll want to give exact locations so when the complaints are filed our techs can have a point of reference in relationship to the towers.

This could help the other folks in your office that use T-Mobile too. Who knows, maybe we'll be able to get your co-workers to switch over!

• bnewall1

I sent a message to them through Facebook -- that seemed to be the way to connect to T-Force.  (There was nothing about T-Force or service complaints in the subject drop-down menu under "Contact Us.")  When they respond, I'll give them the exact location.

Also, someone from T-Mobile came by here a couple of weeks ago and talked to my boss about potentially switching.  I wasn't here when that happened, but I did tell her (my boss) later about my lack of coverage in the building, which, naturally, would be a bit of a show-stopper.  Many of the people in this office are on a corporate plan (I work for a school district), and they're currently using Verizon.  I think T-Mobile would save a lot of $$, but only if it works!

• tmo_mike_c

Ah yes. Sorry if that was confusing. There are social media icons on that page that you can click and it'll route you right to the T-Force page. (Just for future reference

I totally understand wanting the savings and the coverage. We care about both that's why T-Mobile has these low cost plans while still being able to expand our network. T-Mobile can give you the best of both worlds. We'll do everything we can to take care of the coverage for you.