dshores

Has anyone received their Samsung gear VR headset yet? If so how is it.

All replies

• theartiszan

Re: Samsung Gear VR

My claim is still in review yet. Being so new yet I don't think any have gone through yet. Or none that i have seen that posted online.

• dshores

Mine just changed to Fulfillment pending.

• makarios

Mine went from under review, to fulfillment pending and it's now back under review

It seems as if Samsung really doesn't have their act together on this one.

• dshores

Wow that stinks

• dshores

And now mine is Your submission is currently under review.

• makarios

I know this may seem crass, but I'm glad it's not just me... I'd rather believe they are disorganized than that there is actually something wrong with our submissions!

• deacon

give it time gentlemen.  I'm sure Samsung would rather get the product in your hands than not. now Netflix is another story.  that's what I'm waiting on.  I couldn't care less about the VR lol

• makarios

It's not even the waiting that bothers me the most, it's the conflicting information.

Is my submission under review, or being fulfilled? It can't be both. And how could it go from being fulfilled to back under review?

If they wait until the promotion window is over and then reject my submission, what happens then? I've heard different stories from different representatives.

If they said "Hey, we're a bit behind right now and running ragged. We'll get them out sometime mid-December", I would be absolutely fine with that, as long as I knew what was going on.

I know this isn't even T-Mobile's jurisdiction at this point... but it was still part of the advertised promotion, so it's worth mentioning.

• dshores

Guess what. Just checked the website and  Submission Approved. Preparing for Shipment.Shipping Date estimate: 4/1/2016!!!  Heck yeah!!

• dshores

Just checked my email and:

Hello David,

Congratulations! Your submission has been approved. We will ship your

Samsung Gear VR to the mailing address you provided when registering

for this Offer. Your estimated shipping date is April 1, 2016.

Once shipped, we will send you an email with your tracking number.

Additionally, below is your code for 1 year of Netflix. Visit

www.netflix.com/specialoffer and follow the prompts to redeem your code

before April 30, 2016 when the code will expire. Each redemption code may

be used only once.

• tidbits

approved.PNG

approved2.PNG

• hallda

Mine just updated tonight too..

Submission Approved. Preparing for Shipment. Shipping Date estimate: Pending

More curious about the Netflix

• theartiszan

Yeah mine just got approved too

Can't wait.

• tidbits

I got one of my netflix codes. Not sure when I will get the other two.

• tidbits

If you use Gmail look in the update tab/folder. If you have just priority and inbox it will be in the inbox iirc

• tidbits

If you have FedEx manager can you guys check to see if you guys got  tracking number?

I got something from Brightpoint c/o Time Warner.  I have no idea what is being shipped from there and I don't have TWC service in Hawaii.  So I am guessing that it's from Samsung, but I can't confirm it.

• hallda

tidbits wrote

:

I'm curious to know if you get more than one too.  I bought two Galaxy S7s, wasn't sure if I'd get 2 Netflix codes or just one.

• tidbits

hallda wrote:

tidbits wrote

:

I'm curious to know if you get more than one too.  I bought two Galaxy S7s, wasn't sure if I'd get 2 Netflix codes or just one.

Yes you will get more than one.  With the Note 5 I get 8 of them (I didn't keep the codes)

• makarios

Yep. I just got the same e-mail.

Also got my Netflix code.

I'm trying not to be too skeptical about the ship date being April 1st (Fool's Day)

This had better not turn out to be a prank!

• deacon

yay! got the email too

• bld93

I checked my status this evening on the Samsung website, and it stated: Submission Approved. Preparing for Shipment. Shipping Date estimate: 4/18/2016.

I have not, however, received the confirmation email or my Netflix code.

My question: Have you guys noticed the status changing before the emails come through?

• makarios

For me, the e-mail was what actually prompted me to look at my status again (I had kind-of given up on it). There shouldn't be that long of a delay between the two I would think.

• jzizzles

This thing overheats in just 20 minutes.  I get a warning message saying that it needs to cool down

Did some research and found someone using ice packs to help keep the phone cool.  I'm thinking about buying these.  But I thought the new watercooled S7 internals was suppose to prevent overheating?

Here is the link to the 3x5 gel packs with a few reviews of people using it with their VR.

Amazon.com: 3x5 Gel Pack

• dshores

Just got the email with the tracking number. It will be here tomorrow!!

• makarios

Received mine today. Overall really nice. The games in my "6-game bundle" were not all games. Some were 360 videos only. and one was a game that required at least two people. I uninstalled that, as I will never be in a situation to play it.

Note that anyone using the S7 Edge, will need to switch the slider on the headset to "Position A" even though the manual does not mention this for the S7 Edge ... if you don't everything will look more blurry than normal. I thought I was going blind at first until I noticed the slider and gave it a try. It is much better now.

The 3D experience videos are where this thing really shines. Currently the Oculus app store is very sparse -- there's not a lot of VR content there... and what is there is mostly sub-standard, as devs are still learning the ins-and-outs of this thing. Mostly unfinished products and tech demos. I will not be buying any apps until they mature a bit more. But there are plenty of 360 videos to watch. The Netflix app is very good, and the Samsung MilkVR app can play any video stored on your phone or SD card (I wish the Oculus cinema could do that -- and it should!)

While the phone does get warm, have not had any overheating issues, though the GearVR does suck power like a vacuum, watching one hour-long Netflix show took 40% of my battery. This thing would drain your phone on a two hour flight.

The biggest issue I see with the GearVR right now is orientation drift. Mostly noticeable in the Cinema. The view tends to drift to the left, to the point where I need to reorient several times in the span of 15 to 20 minutes. This does not always happen, but when it does, it becomes a real nuisance to the overall experience.