jowsley1829

When is the Lumia 640 getting the Windows 10 update from T-Mobile? AT&T has already rolled out their Lumia 640 Win 10 Update. And before anyone says I can sign up for the "Windows Insiders" Program, I know. I just want hear from T-Mobile, or anyone who knows, when the official update is happening?

All replies

• tmo_lauren

No news as of now! Best place to keep an eye on updates is here Software updates

That page details when a software update starts up until release!

-Lauren

• pgrey

Re: Lumia 640 getting Windows 10 update T-Mobile?

You can however update your 640, via the Insider (Release is best for most people who want to actually "use" their phones as per regular).

The downside is that if there are T-Mobile-specific provisions on the phone now, you may not have these with this build (although if you exit Insider after you install, you should then get the T-Mobile build if/when it's available).

Obviously, all the disclaimers apply, with any "Beta" program (Release is pretty polished though, as polished as 10 is right now), I can say I'm running 3 of our 4 family phones this way, without issue, and two are much older and out-of-spec than your 640...

• bguy

Don't download windows 10 from MS insider. I did and it was very frustrating , no LTE service, group texting, texting images. Way too frustrating! I hope T mobile gets the bugs out!

• jplachta

I used MS Insider (pre-release ring) to update my 640 and it worked fine.  Once Windows Mobile 10 was installed, I needed to manually update my phone's APN settings which then allowed group texting, etc.  As others have mentioned, wi-fi calling is no longer available after the WM 10 update. While it was a nice feature, the reality for me is that I did not use it, so losing it wasn't an issue for me.  If it's something you rely on, you may want to stay at 8.1.

• owensdj

People bought the Lumia 640 with the promise that it would be upgraded to Windows 10 Mobile.  To be honest, it's not acceptable for T-Mobile to not upgrade this device.  T-Mobile in other countries such as Germany has long since upgraded the Lumia 640 to Windows 10 Mobile, so it's not a technical issue.

• cncb

This is getting ridiculous.  Just like the unreasonable delay I had to endure with Verizon when trying to get the 8.1 update for my old Lumia 822.  It sounds like if we ever get Win 10, we will finally be free of the provider for updates and will be able to get them directly from Microsoft.  I sure hope so.

• zendan_21

come on T-Mobile, don´t forget us...

• cncb

It seems to me if we don't get the upgrade on or around the big Windows 10 "Anniversary Update" on Aug. 2, we will never get it...

• zendan_21

Sadly but T-Mobile left us (Lumia 640 users)...

• wallyh

I think it's time to time to cut our losses & move on. As much as I love my Lumia 640 & (most of the time) T-mobile....there are other choices out there. Just sayin'

• bguy

Funny, this conversation has been going for 6 months and T-Mobile has only said check the site. They release a windows 10 phone and do nothing for those of us have remained faithful and pay their bills.

• tmo_lauren

It's not intended to be any turn on our users.

We are limited to the releases that Microsoft agrees to develop for our carrier specific devices. We aren't capable of the edits from our side solely. I can get the feedback passed along, but I am not sure the updates will come.

-Lauren

• pgrey

Microsoft released 8/2, and published the OEM kit shortly before, maybe I don't understand, why wouldn't T-Mobile have been able to pull from that?

I've got an un-branded unit anyway (950XL), but for those of you stuck, as per my earlier post, going to the Insider (Release Preview), is about as close to getting a build from TMo as you're likely to get.  The RP Ring is VERY stable, and once you grab one RP build, you can opt-out, and only get the standard releases (~one/month). 

I sort of doubt that T-Mobile is likely to release their own version, based on the above.

• bguy

what does "It's not intended to be any turn on our users" mean?

MS said: Free Windows 10 available

T-Mobile said: It's not intended to be any turn on our users

• tmo_lauren

Sorry! I intended to mean we aren't turning our backs on users. I realize that was sort of unclear.

Tmo doesn't dev or modify the builds, the build would have to be made for our version of the phone by Microsoft. So even if the kit is released, carriers aren't the ones to develop for their specific model.

Updates do go through our product testing team, but we are not on the development side and all development goes through device manufacturer/software developer. That's uniform across the board with all manufacturers. Some manufacturers choose to keep bootloaders unlocked ((which we welcome!) on their devices which can be helpful in the event they don't go down a carrier specific route. On the opposite side of the coin there is Apple who keep their OS incredibly locked down, but don't release OS updates until versions are available for all carriers and models of the device. In each of the different scenarios, the carriers primary role in the update is just the build testing and making sure it works with things like our Wi-Fi calling features, app, etc.

-Lauren

• pgrey

Interesting, so in that case, if the T-Mobile phones are non-carrier-specific (basically unbranded?), then the updates should get pushed, by MS, the same as a non-branded phone?

Or am I mis-intrepreting your statement about the models?

It seems like everyone would've already gotten their updates, if this were true?

Bootload(iing) really, it's a bit different on a Win Phone, but it's locked.  The difference is, the model allows MS to push, or allow a carrier to release OTA, either way, without any real modification, as you mention.

AT&T, for example, has specific models for their branded Win Phones, and only release the updates after they add some things, and (in theory), re-test.

• mgarner00

Lauren,

Has any T-Mobile Windows phone running 8.1 been updated to Windows 10? if so which phones? if not is it Microsoft who is not developing the updates for T-Mobile?

• bguy

re updates: It depends who you are talking to, T-Mobile says they are waiting for MS to release W10. If you talk to MS they will tell you it is ready to go and it is up to T-Mobile to "push it out".

• mohamedarmaan786

hy.... please tell me how'll I update my Nokia Lumia 521 carrier: T-Mobile,

Software: Window 8.1....to become window 10....also kindly do consider on

my feaver of it how I  just unlock my devise  Lumia 521

IMEI:355913055837814... It been really long since am just asking & waiting

for you guys it how to do accord me with your assistance...I really

appreciate.....thanks

• tmo_lauren

mgarner00 We do have one Windows 10 compatible device you can view, here Alcatel ONETOUCH Fierce XL (Windows)

And as for your question, we don't develop the updates, that is not a question that's really debatable. Updates are left up to the manufacturer and OS devs. There can be circumstances where we hold up an update while in QA because it's not meeting our standards, but we aren't even at that step in the process.

We WANT our devices to have updates, it's truly in our best interest to have you happy with your device and less likely to shop around at other carriers who may have a different device you are interested in, We don't make money off of selling new phones to customers, that's why we so heavily push bring your own device and make it easy for unlocked devices to be used on our network. We make money on selling services, and thus it's our best interest to have people incentivized to continue using our services, like making sure devices are updated.

mohamedarmaan786 Thank you for your request, we don't have an update available, if you do wish to have your device unlocked, you would want to Contact Us

• bguy

I know T-Mobile won't respond, but does anyone think it ridiculous that nearly a year after release and release of a second lower tier W10 phone but for the current Lumia owners they quote "There can be circumstances where we hold up an update while in QA because it's not meeting our standards, but we aren't even at that step in the process" (yet)?

• tmo_lauren

I'm still happy to respond.

We haven't received an update in QA to hold up the process in, so it's not from our side. While this isn't an official response in any capacity and is 100% a personal assumption, but I think it's most likely there aren't enough users on our network for the developer side (that is outside of T-Mobile) to warrant the resources and cost required to develop an update in a timely fashion.

-Lauren

• mgarner00

Lauren,

Thanks for your response. I don't see the Alcatel ONETOUCH Fierce XL being sold from T-Mobile current so, I might look into a reseller. T-Mobile does sell the Alcatel IDOL™ 4S with Windows 10 VR, but that model is a little out of my price range. I think your assumption is correct about not enough users. Other carriers in the U.S. have the same issue in have no updates for Lumia 640 to windows 10. But outside of the U.S., where windows phone OS is a little more popular, the Lumia 640 does have the update for Windows 10.

regards,

mgarner00

• bguy

When I downloaded W10 from the insider so many things were not configured properly for T-Mobile. Mobile data would not work, neither would group text. It would seem that T-Mobile would need re-configure the phone for the new OS.

• abandoned-winphone

Stood in the T-Mobile store in Redmond and looked the gal right in the eye as she sold me the Lumia 640 saying "Windows 10 upgrade is right around the corner"...it was always a lie.

• roythegoy

I finally gave up waiting for T-Mobile to update my 640 and did it myself with the Insider Preview. As others advised, I reset the phone after the update so it would clear out all apps pulled over during the process. I also did NOT restore my backup settings. I let the phone automatically patch afterwards to the latest version of WP10 before I started to reinstall my apps from the store. I did this for 2 reasons. I missed the Facebook messenger some but I learned to live without it. What forced me to upgrade was Skype going away from Windows Phone 8.1 scheduled for July 2017.

I like the Windows 10 Phone upgrade but it has it's problems. 8.1 was faster and had almost zero applications crashing. 10 is Ok in this department but it lacks some features I don't understand how they're missing. In 8.1, you can highlight a word or phrase on a webpage and hit search and search will start with those words. 10 doesn't and that's just crazy stupid. I can't control the brightness for each of the 3 brightness settings and that's just stupid crazy that it's missing.

I'm writing about this today because at this very moment, I'm updating my daughters Lumia 640 from 8.1 to 10 WITHOUT going through the Insider Program. I can do this because she's on AT&T who released WP10 for the Lumia 640 over a YEAR ago when Microsoft finished Windows 10 Phone for the market. All I hear from TMO is that Microsoft is holding things up. I'm sure Microsoft would say they're not and it's the carrier. This stands to reason since these phones are the same phone from AT&T and T-Mobile. T-Mobile doesn't build this phone. T-Mobile doesn't build the OS. The OS works just fine on this phone sold through T-Mobile with Wi-Fi calling, LTE, and all the texting features it's supposed to. What T-Mobile DOES control is when the phones get their update.

TMO, I'll never leave you because you have $3.00 a month prepaid service and that's perfect for me. However, you should be ashamed of this situation you've created. If the user base for WP wasn't so low, I'm sure this would make a great news story for bloggers like Paul Thurrott @Thurrott and Windowscentral.com. I bet a bit of light on the subject would get you to move your feet.

PS Your TMO app on WP doesn't let you sign in on either 10 or 8.1. I was angry about this STILL not being fixed till I read in the forums that the same app doesn't work for IOS or Android users either. Shame on you.

PSS This community forum and your account site still REEK (for lack of a better word) on Mobile browsers. Editing a post is impossible and account management is just above useless. I guess the forums about what people would like to see change for the new mobile site is just smoke and mirrors. Shame on me for being fooled so many times.