gramps51

I have NEVER had such disgusting coverage as I am experiencing here in Naples Florida.

All replies

• tmo_mike_c

Wow, that's rough gramps51. I checked the general coverage for Naples and I'm seeing it's pretty well covered. If you search a specific address using our coverage map, what kind of coverage is it showing? How many bars are you getting in these areas?

4G LTE Coverage Map | Check Your 4G LTE Cell Phone Coverage | T-Mobile

• stevetjr

Naples should be getting better here sooner than later if you have a newer phone that supports Band 12.  This was not a market Verizon had 700 A Block spectrum (Band 12) that they could sell to T-Mobile a couple of years ago when T-Mobile spent $3 billion on buying low band spectrum from Verizon.  Rather the 700A block spectrum here was held by essentially an "investment group" that would buy spectrum and then hold it until they could sell it for more.  T-Mobile just entered an agreement to purchase this spectrum (along with other areas) from Cavalier License Group.  The sale is pending FCC approval but due to the "quiet period" because of the upcoming 600Mhz spectrum auction starting at the end of the month not to mention T-Mobile has allocated up to $10 billion if needed to participate in they came up with a temporary solution so they can get started now which is to "lease" the spectrum until the sale if approved by the FCC.

Leased area available for network deployment since March, 2016. To expedite deployment of the network T-Mobile leased the spectrum till the closing of the purchase which will happened after the end of the 600 MHz auction due to the "quiet" period. Spectrum Gateway expects the network to be deployed in Q3-Q4 2016.
          • drnewcomb2

That whole SW FL coastal area has been a problem market for T-Mobile for some time, due to their having exclusively mid-band licenses in the area. As stevetjr says, T-Mobile recently obtained a 700 MHz license in that market and should be quickly rolling out band-12 service, which should fix a lot of those pockets of "no-service". Of course, you will need a band-12 compatible device to take advantage of this.

I also should point out that Sensorly.com, CellMapper.net and RootMetrics.com all report good service at the intersection of Radio Rd & Davis Rd. So, you may have a problem with your phone. What device are you using?

• gramps51

3 phones ALL have the problem. It's a T-Mobile issue, not an equipment

issue.

• tmo_mike_c

I agree with drnewcomb2 and stevetjr. The Band 12 is something T-Mobile is continuing to expand on and it's a huge win for folks already using it. If you're using phones that supports this frequency, you'll be able to take advantage of this. What kinds of phones are you using? If you search for T-Mobile's network manually, are you phones able to find it?

• stevetjr

gramps51 wrote:

3 phones ALL have the problem. It's a T-Mobile issue, not an equipment

issue.

Why not technically a "problem" with the phone and of course T-Mobile can't say it (one of the benefits of this being a user support forum is we can) is that if you go through all the "coverage" threads and in my case have seen it but that is the iPhones seems to struggle more for signal than say the Galaxy's do. The WAG is that the antenna in the iPhone seems to be tuned more towards the low bands and/or low band carries better/farther anyway even if low band is a bit slower.  If you have the 6S or above once they launch Band 12 you will see a marked improvement with Band 12.  It is unfortunate that the spectrum in that corner of FL was held by an investment holding company rather than put to immediate use by a carrier but now that T-Mobile has made the purchase as I said it will get better as soon as they can get it launched.

• drnewcomb2

If your phones have LTE band-12, you will probably see some relief when they start deploying their 700 MHz equipment. (My bet would be within 6 months.) If your phones don't have band-12, I doubt you'll ever see any improvement.

• gramps51

So as of right now, my point is valid. Signal in this area SUCKS!!

• drnewcomb2

gramps51 wrote:

So as of right now, my point is valid. Signal in this area SUCKS!!

Let me know when you're ready to discuss the problem and possible solutions.

• gramps51

From a consumer standpoint, having to buy new equipment is NOT a solution to a problem. Corporations think making something non-functional is considered "improving" service. Unfortunately there are way too many people in the world that need the absolute latest technology in their hand to impress others thus keeping corporations pockets lined unneccessarily. I have been and always will be a believer in using something until it is broken and having something like cell phone coverage require a perfectly good piece of hardware to be relegated to the garbage heap is outrageous. My problem will be solved next winter season when I leave this God forsaken area and return to Madeira Beach area where I NEVER have an issue using my perfectly good phones. Hasta La Vista Naples!!

• stevetjr

T-Mobile didn't decide to make it "non-functional" you can actually thank AT&T and then later Apple for that. AT&T pushed for the 700A block spectrum to be put in a separate band versus the B & C Block which they and to some extent Verizon held. They claimed it was to costly to make the radios be able to deal with possible interference with channel 51.  Here is an excerpt from a really good article;

Band Class 12 includes the Lower A Block 700 MHz spectrum held by small licensees, while AT&T holds Lower B and C Block 700 MHz spectrum in Band Class 17. AT&T has said it created Band Class 17 to guard against interference from Channel 51 broadcast transmissions adjacent to the Band Class 12 Lower A Block spectrum.

The FCC's ongoing 700 MHz interoperability rulemaking pits A Block licensees--including Vulcan Wireless, King Street Wireless (U.S. Cellular's bidding partner), C Spire Wireless and MetroPCS (NYSE:PCS)--against larger carriers, primarily AT&T.

Vulcan Wireless, owned by Microsoft (NASDAQ:MSFT) co-founder Paul Allen, recently presented a framework to the FCC via which the commission could force interoperability across all paired spectrum blocks in the Lower 700 MHz band, with Band Class 12 becoming the de facto standard if they could not agree to another solution. Vulcan argues an interoperability mandate would ensure device availability for smaller 700 MHz licensees, as well as nationwide roaming opportunities.

Among other things, Vulcan alleges the current Band Class arrangement proves that AT&T held considerable influence with standards-setting body 3GPP, which ratified Band Class 17 and Band Class 13--the latter includes Verizon Wireless' (NYSE:VZ) Upper C Block holdings--in September 2008 but did not ratify Band Class 12 until December 2010.

Eventually when the smaller carriers started gaining traction with the FCC that this was a blatant attempt to keep AT&T from having to offer roaming which is also an FCC mandate AT&T quickly caved in and amazingly was able to reprogram their Band 17 radios to work with Band 12 but of course the damage had been done since the rule making authority had already created Band 12 which had the channel 51 restrictions. 

As to my second comment about Apple, when the iPhone 6 was launched T-Mobile already had purchased the Band 12 and was launching it when the phone was released.  Apple boasted that the 6 supported 20 LTE bands but guess which one they conveniently left out, of course Band 12.  T-Mobile had only been selling the iPhone for a year or so, Un-Carrier was just starting to really take off and T-Mobile was the number 4 carrier still so it seems Apple was more akin to keep AT&T & Verizon happy in my opinion.

When I look at the coverage map from a fairly wide view of SW FL I see a lot of "fair" coverage so yea it is probably not the greatest and if you are using an iPhone probably even worse. I have been standing beside one of my friends with his iPhone and I always have more signal than he does not to mention on the forums the number one phone I see complained about with signal issues are iPhones. Mid-High band unfortunately while faster just doesn't carry as far and usually need about 4 towers to cover the same area as 1 low band tower and we know how much communities want to let another cell tower go up. 

It is also a known and public fact that the carriers don't make any real profit on the devices they sell and in most cases they become loss leaders to get you to use the product the are in business to sell which is service. So yea it sucks to have to get another device in order to get Band 12 (all device that T-Mobile sells now have B12 or T-Mobile won't sell them) but the reward in coverage is the reward.

• gramps51

Try Radio Rd and Sanctuary Drive. Signal SUCKS.