Marshmallow update for G920T

chihuy105

When can we update to Marshmallow 6.0 ?

All replies

• stevetjr

Re: Marshmallow update for G920T

When Samsung releases the code to T-Mobile for testing and T-Mobile approves it.  Samsung has not released it to T-Mobile yet nor have any US carriers gotten Marshmallow from Samsung yet for GS6, GS6e, GS6e+ or Note 5

Software updates

• john.hamby.jh@gmail.com

Tmobile has had the update for months and been working on it since at minimum January. I know this because i HAVE and AM RUNNING the mm bootloader from the leaked beta. This has been known for many months, one google search will uncover about 5 different forums where it's been passed around. There was an ota that somehow happened and the user quickly got with xda devs and did a system dump, everything was repackaged and is currently the only tmo based mm build in existence until the official drops. It's buggy, and has it's issues, but it works and is smooth! I reverted back to LL and kept the bootloader and modem 6.0.1...tmo HAS had marshmallow for quite a long time indeed.

• e2k

Just because an update got leaked does not mean it came from TMO. Remember, the manufacturer develops the update while the carrier just tests it. It is more likely that Samsung was working on the update, and someone from the development team leaked a beta revision.

As for the current status, it looks like TMO is testing the update. They will either approve it or send it back to Samsung.

The guy received the update via ota direct from tmo.....that's how it leaked. He had a device with a damaged csc that was on coj5 after cokc was released and somehow ended up with the beta mm release. Trust me when i say we thoroughly exhausted trying to reproduce THAT little hiccup. It most certainly came from tmo, even uses the splash screen at boot...

• theartiszan

Just because it is the version for tmobile does not mean it came from them. All the updates are downloaded from manufacturer servers not from the carriers.  The carrier just does their test and certifies that they want it released for their customers.  The csc trick probably tricked something temporarily of the check with Samsung servers and you some how managed to get a test build through samsung servers. Not the first time this happened.

Well i won't pretend to know the physical source of the update, i would assume tmo houses them on their own servers, but even if that isn't the case it's basically irrelevant. The whole point is that this mm update has been being worked on by tmo, or samsung for tmo, or little elves in the north pole, for a LONG time coming now....certainly long enough for devs with the kind of resources that sammy or tmo would possess to have launched the thing by now....for God's sake the aftermarket community has even gotten the beta build to a stable enough state and free of call audio bugs to use IT as a daily driver! And these are people with jobs and lives who just do it as a hobby! And by contrast an entire development team can't keep up with that on a 40 hour a week schedule? Shame shame lol

How are some of you guys so knowledgeable that you get this pillar stuff, but no one is taliking about any of this stuff that's old news to rest of the world?

I think Samsungs big push of Samsung pay along with their desire to win gov contacts are the two biggest reasons that they've seemed to have reversed their stance on the bootloaders, you're correct it used to be they were unlocked by default unless a carrier (anyone say vzw?) Request they be locked, but now with Samsung pay (and specifically the inability to use once knox is tripped) they've created their own reason to lock them down- unlock android pay which will work after an unroot, samsung pay will never function again without sending the device back to samsung for a full refurb....and better believe they want EVERYBODY using samsung pay!

• odotbeezy

The frustration is so real!!! It was supposed to hit our phones by this month but that was a lie. Smh I want my **** marshmallow update!

I understand how in depth changing the framework to support tmo's ims implementation is, so i get it- it takes time- and if it's right the first time it's not a tech support nightmare once they push it, but it HAS been a LONG time.....

• e2k

odotbeezy wrote:

It was supposed to hit our phones by this month but that was a lie.

Who told you that? Carriers and manufacturers do not provide release dates. Whatever you heard was nothing more than a rumor.

odotbeezy wrote:

Smh I want my **** marshmallow update!

Be careful what you ask for. The earlier you get an update, the less likely it is to be stable. Some previous releases (Lollipop?) caused phones to brick. By the time TMO released it, they had the patched version, which addressed the issues causing phones to brick. Sometimes getting an update later than other carriers is a good thing.

Just wait until the release happens, and you will see complaints about how it hosed their people's devices (such complaints are already surfacing for TMO phones that have received Marshmallow).

• joekahn

Well...Verizon releases 6.0 today...April 1, 2016...and here we sit with Flagship level phones andthe suposed best wireless in the nation and no update yet.  Next phone will indeed be a Nexus...no waiting, no bloat, and no touchwiz...YOU DISAPPOINT ME JOHN J. LEGERE...YOU ARE IN THIRD PLACE TO SPRINT AND VERIZON....PEACEOUT!!!!

Nexus indeed sir smh

• odotbeezy

Yeah this is definitely disheartening to say the least. Will be a nexus

user forsure in the future

• theartiszan

They are finally able to test it now. They had to wait for Samsung to finish it before T-Mobile could test it even

• odotbeezy

I know that but this is entirely way to long for a "flagship" phone like

the S6 to not be 1st in line for an update like this.

• e2k

odotbeezy wrote:

I know that but this is entirely way to long for a "flagship" phone like

the S6 to not be 1st in line for an update like this.

On the contrary (as I explained before), it's probably better to get the update later rather than sooner due to the likelihood of it being more stable. In that sense, it is prudent to do the "flagship" model later. Can you imagine the backlash of a "flagship" model have an unstable update (e.g., bricking phones)?

Out of curiosity, what specific features of Marshmallow are you so anxious to get?

• odotbeezy

I completely feel what you're saying in regards to a solid update but I

feel like this year is almost over already lol and we still have no

marshmallow goodness.  I dislike IOS but I respect their update game tho.

As far as features go I'm looking forward to some Google Now on tap action,

how the Doze feature is going to impact my standby time, and also if the S6

RAM issue will get resolved. How bout you?

• e2k

odotbeezy wrote:

How bout you?

I could care less. I do fine with the current functionality. Having said that, my next phone will be a Nexus. I'm not an upgrade fanatic (as you can tell), but I do like the idea of having vanilla Android (not tweaked by the manufacturer).

• stevetjr

Well I just got MM and frankly other than a few settings and visual stuff

don't see anything that was a showstopper. Now to get my MM just JUMP'd

from GS6e+ to GS7e lol

• theartiszan

Yeah I was going to hear doze helped the battery life on this phone which is currently horrendous. But from reports it doesn't look like it does much to help it.

• stevetjr

We shall see, everyone said the battery life was horrible on the GS6 but I never really had issues once I figured out how to use the phone and manage things on it.  The 7 Edge has a bigger battery than the standard 7 also plus quick charge really makes a difference.

• theartiszan

I can get through the day with it but it is usually at about 10% by the time I get home. That is mainly just email and a light amount of web browsing. About 1 hour or so of screen on time. Even dimmed the screen, made sure location is off, as well as Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. Even overnight it drains about 4% an hour without touching the thing.

This is why i went to a custom rom on my note 5. It's still touchwiz based on cokc and has everything including the edge features ported from the s6e+, plus with the custom kernel and some build.prob tweaks in LL I'm getting easily over a full day on a charge with anywhere from 4.5-7hrs SOT, this while overclocked to 2.4ghz on A57 and 1.6ghz on A53 cores with the gpu bumped up to 852mhz from 700...i also reduced the "bottom" of the frequency range to 500mhz on A57 (down from 800mhz) and 200 mhz on a53 (down from 400mhz)...i left the gpu at 266mhz minimum as on my particular device (asv 12 across the board) i get some hesitation when waking up from deep sleep if i drop the gpu to 100mhz, plus the diff in power savings is negligible between 100mhz and 266mhz....i also use power aware scheduling and power-efficient workques for power savings along with the ROW scheduler and Ultra-kernel Same Page merging for active scan ahead of memory pages that merges and released duplicate pages faster with minimal cpu overhead (it's adjustable but i use 1% cpu overhead for scanning and notice no discernible difference in UI response)...that said, I'm also based on the newest Linaro build for the compile, BUT the kernel is fully based on sam/tmo source code straight from Samsung, and tho there are some additions and differences, with the exception of frequency and voltage tuning and the changes i already listed, it's basically a stock kernel, it's just closer to MM in memory management and WAAYYYYYYYY smoother that stock cokc- no scroll leg, apps launch instantly, WAYYY better multitasking- makes better use of the 4gb ram and doesn't dump apps from memory as quickly- it'll pretty much run right with a nexus 6p running vanilla android as far as app performance and ui response, and that's quite an accomplishment for a touchwiz device! Of course all credit goes to the amazing devs, whom I've the luxury of knowing and loving! <3

• odotbeezy

I feel it bro. Definitely going nexus as well

• theartiszan

I like the idea of the nexus but I had the 6 and it was a decent phone but I like my s6 better. Sure it is a little annoying to have to wait so long for updates but there are a lot of nice things about Samsung design that are nice quality of life improvements that i missed. Like the rising tone for the alarm. That saved me some arguments with my other half. I'm sure I can get those features with other applications but then I need to juggle other stuff too. Must say the battery life is definitely better with the nexus 6 though.

• tidbits

So should the Note 5? Each phone has a different development team and different requirements. They are not going to finish all at the same time. All teams work at different paces.

Now if you can find a team that can do this consistently let me know. Our company is willing to higher them and chances they'll love to work in Hawaii :)

• opwog

Now three weeks since the status was flipped to T-Mo testing.

• joekahn

Well...3 weeks has gone by and still nothing.  When my Samsung is paid off, I will be buying a Google phone.  Why?  Check out the grades rating timeliness and communication of OS upgrades given to the MFGs of phones...Google = A (95%)...Samsung = F (49%)...NUF SAID.

Android upgrade report card: Grading the manufacturers on Marshmallow | Computerworld

• jcap334

I'm with ya. I'm done with Samsung. My Galaxy Note 5 is still in Manufacturer Development!!! My next phone without a doubt is going to be a Nexus. My girlfriend has a Nexus 6P and she laughs at me when I tell her that I am jealous of her phone, when it used to be the other way around lol.

• tidbits

The problem with those grades is one writes the tests, and the other one has to wait months to even see the tests. So who do you think will get better results? It's a no brainer.

• joekahn

Here is another FauxPas from T-Mobile.  Announced by Droid life today that T-Mobile will be rolling out Marshmallow to the LG-V10 phone:  http://www.droid-life.com/2016/04/08/t-mobile-lg-v10-marshmallow/

Yet when you go to the T-Mobile software update page the status is still "Manufacture Development".  Never even moved to "Testing"?  https://support.t-mobile.com/community/phones-tablets-devices/software-updates#tmoSUPDocTitle

How can this be?  ANOTHER DISAPPOINTING MOVE JOHN J. LEGERE!!! 

The rumors are just that- rumors. History says that for the Note line of devices, Samsung pretty much follows a pattern when releasing to the world, and the US has FINALLY started seeing carriers get releases, just so happens it looks like the T variant is gonna be last on the list of US releases- the Canadians (w8) are getting theirs, sprint, Verizon, AT&T (P, V, & A variants) have all gotten theirs, i believe even US Cellular (Rx) got a release- other than the Mexican carriers, there's really no one else (Intl variant) but 1 that's a MAJOR release variant....i think the 9208 got it already and most of the middle east, Asia, India, UK is pushing updates now- i mean we REALLY should be seeing an update, literally any minute. Smh.

• maoun89

SM-G920T 6.0.1 MARSHMALLOW IS RELEASED

• matesny

Congratulations on your latest Software Update, S6 Users!

Now only if us the Note users could get some!

9 hours after i say literally any minute smh lol congrats you guys! Hopefully N920T is right behind! Except the s6 vs the s6e+/n5 are basically totally different devices smh lol