Tmobile LTE is slow

jzizzles

Why doesn't T-Mobile have a LTE toggle button on the app tray / quick launch menu for Android?  We want to switch from LTE to 3G every now and then. Especially when LTE is a lot SLOWER than 3G in downloading speed. See test below.

3.47 Mbps vs 14.24 Mbps for 3G..... No wonder my old phone Galaxy A7 (not compatible with Tmobile LTE was faster than my friends iPhone 6 on LTE.

I just  bought a Galaxy S7 Edge and I might just return it and stick with my old phone.

lte.png

All replies

• theartiszan

Re: Tmobile LTE is slow

Probably lte is overloaded in your area.  I usually get 60 plus on LTE there are some areas though that I see the same thing here. Not many though.

• tidbits

Make a new APN and change IPv6 to 4/6. Problem solved.

• natey2

T-Mobile 4G/LTE is just awesome here in Southern California. Consider moving here

Screenshot_20160513-201153.png

• umang122

I joined T-mobile 3-4 days back. I am getting horrendous speeds for 4g lte. I work at SF and download speeds I see are 70KB - 120KB and uploads are equally miserable. I tried to check in mountain view for the speed sometimes download would be okay around 7-10 MB but uploads are 100KB. I dont know what is wrong my phone or the network. I have S7 edge and I use Speedtest to check speeds. I tried to use different APN setting with IPV6/IPV4 , but no improvement. I also tested at various times its similar behavior. Anyone faced similar situation or has any idea

• deejayy-ceekayy

You are very lucky, I am currently receiving on 4G LTE, an upload of 0.10 MBPS, download of 7.78 MBPS and a ping of 192 ms. This is pathetic, phone shouldn't even say 4G LTE on it with speeds like this. Excellent job T-Mobile, I guess what you mean by "Un-Carrier" is that you don't carry any good reception...I have the Samsung Galaxy S8+, not that it matters which phone, because all have had terrible reception across all of my T-Mobile Phones...

• tidbits

deejayy-ceekayy wrote:

You are very lucky, I am currently receiving on 4G LTE, an upload of 0.10 MBPS, download of 7.78 MBPS and a ping of 192 ms. This is pathetic, phone shouldn't even say 4G LTE on it with speeds like this. Excellent job T-Mobile, I guess what you mean by "Un-Carrier" is that you don't carry any good reception...I have the Samsung Galaxy S8+, not that it matters which phone, because all have had terrible reception across all of my T-Mobile Phones...

Remake your APN. Instead of IPv6 change it to IPv6/IPv4 and your speeds will improve.

• deejayy-ceekayy

http://https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-34331

I changed my APN, but no matter what the second I leave it defaults back to the factory one installed on the phone. It also wont let me remove the factory one. I created one using the above link .

• tidbits

You don't have to delete the default one. All you do is make a new one then select it.

You give it a different name like T-Mobile, and copy everything else the same other than the IPv6.  Once that is done just select the new one.

I just threw that one together and didn't complete fill it out. Whenever I see slow speeds on a new device I always switch the APN to one that is IPv4 and 99/100 times it fixes my problem.

Screenshot_20170920-144455.jpg

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                      • larsongrl0218

Screenshot_20171011-134506.png

This is with IPv4/IPv6.  Just moved over from Verizon where i got normally 50mbps, Now with Tmobile less then 5mbps. Even my coworker with Verizon right now has 40mbps.

• larsongrl0218

Screenshot_20171012-071423.pngScreenshot_20171012-071457.pngScreenshot_20171012-071506.pngScreenshot_20171012-071513.png

• larsongrl0218

Bran new Samsung S8+, bought when switched over to Tmobile

• larsongrl0218

i dunno, I bought it from Tmobile store, how would I know. it came with all the tmobile apps on it.

• twistedumbrella

I am experiencing around 3 - 5 Mbps download and 10 - 14 Mbps upload. I have a Sprint Note 8, which was unlocked and switched to T-mobile. I verified the bands were compatible. While the employee knew very little about the Note 8, she did happen to know the bands T-Mobile required, which I could cross-reference to the bands I knew my phone offered. The SIM card automatically populated some APNs, but I added a new one because MMS was not working. It appears the automated ones still separate the MMS and data (by type), but the phone was looking for a unified APN. This resolved not being able to send or receive MMS, but did not alter the speed.

I am curious about some of the posts on this thread, as one is saying the second APN they added is fast.tmobile.com instead of fast.t-mobile.com and another is using epc instead. Could these things be the problem? If not, is there a variant of the "default" configuration that has better speed? Please spare me the "your phone is not compatible" hoopla, since I can assure you that is not an issue. The only band not supported is the new one only available in Missouri or some other place that I do not reside, visit, or have any need to even contact.

As for tedious nature of accessing this thread, I have an older T-mobile account. It began back in the days when Android was only available on the G1. Apparently, I had to convert to a T-Mobile ID instead of just my phone number. I filled in the form with my name and other information, set a new password, and had to set a nickname. Upon doing so, it claimed no name was set. I had to instead log into managing my account, set my name again, return to the login and could then set my nickname. You would think at some point it would have taken me to do that, rather than disregarding the first time it was done.