derekc

Ok. The samsung HotSpot PRO SM-V100T does not allow custom port forwarding (only a few standard ports) and it does not do DNS loopback. I am switching...

Will this Z915 allow custom port forwarding and DNS loopback... and maybe even Dynamic DNS with no-ip.com? I have a IP camera inside and I need to add access from inside and outside.

All replies

• theartiszan

Nothing on a mobile network will really allow outside access like what you are looking for. There are no dedicated ip address solutions without firewall limitations to allow you to host a server on a wireless network.

• derekc

I see the Hotspot is getting a dynamic IP on the wan side and I don't see T-Mobile blocking traffic on any ports.

What is your definition of "dedicated ip address"? By "delicated", you meant Dynamic? Well then, so are millions of people who have DSL or Comcast (unless the pay more for static IPs) and there is something called Dynamic DNS to solve the dynamic ip problem. Granted, T-Mobile is charging by the GB but say if I somehow get unlimited GB and speed of 10Mbps, isn't it my choice to use it the way I want even it is not "dedicated"?

I have been in IT networking for over 20 yrs, I don't recall what "dedicated ip address" is.

• e2k

derekc wrote:

I have been in IT networking for over 20 yrs, I don't recall what "dedicated ip address" is.

A static IP that is not shared with other users?

derekc wrote:

I see the Hotspot is getting a dynamic IP on the wan side and I don't see T-Mobile blocking traffic on any ports.

I tend to doubt that no ports are blocked. I used to work for AT&T, and they blocked some ports on their DSL service (which is typically less restricted than cellular networks). Last time I checked, Comcast blocks inbound FTP connections. I'm sure the list goes on...

I use a free service called FreeDNS. My router automatically makes contact with their server to update its WAN address when necessary. It's been working flawlessly for years. But this is with residential service. I'm willing to bet that it wouldn't work on a cellular network.

• derekc

The Samsung Hotspot V100T has this page in the configuration (below.)

I am pretty sure the WAN side IP given by T-Mobile is a public IP (i.e. not NATTED behind another router). That is why they put the port forwarding feature on it.

Instead of asking and waiting for T-Mobile or Samsung to add a feature of custom port forwarding, I will just change my IP camera to use port 80 (HTTP) for now.

Still need to have the DNS loopback feature so that the hotspot knows to forward the traffic back to the LAN when my cell connected to it is looking for the WAN address.

2016-02-27+09_19_30-Movies+%26+TV.jpg

e2k,

Actually the lockdown is on your cell phone (Android) I believe. If you get a hotspot (which is essentially a router with the 4G LTE as the WAN port), I see nothing is blocked so far. If neither this Hotspot Z915 or the samsung V100T doesn't do what I need, I will try a sonicwall TZ105 with a 4G LTE module to see. I know the sonicwall can do all that but I don't know how good it supports the 4G LTE for full speed. Maybe a DD-WRT will do if I can get it to use the 4G LTE as WAN port.