Ulocking Phone

budro

Has anyone had trouble with unlocking your phone?  I was not happy with the way T mobile has you unlock the device.  It would have been simple if they just flipped a switch and poof it's done.  You need to find someone with a non t mobile sim to do so.   Well what if all of your friends have t mobile?  I went on a search to all the Att sprint stores and what ever I could find to get this done.  I tried even the local orielly auto parts store. No one wants to help.  They thought I was trying to scam them. I took an email from t mobile with me for everyone to see that I was legit.  One guy would not even hold the paper to read. He stood five feet away.  He must has thought I was going to attack him.  I ended up walking through the mall and even went to a phone repair shop. No help....  The former radio shack business was a toy store that repairs anything they said. Tech n toys... The guy there said ok and let me borrow an att sim... I had to use an adapter to make it work because sim cards are different sizes..... Gheeezzze.  I had to go to at least 15 different places to finally find one human being that was willing to help another.  Hey T mobile why is it you can't just unlock without going through the sim card change?

All replies

• smplyunprdctble

Re: Ulocking Phone

I bought an AT&T NetZero SIM Starter Kit for like a buck on amazon and it was delivered within two days.

There's no way to get around the process of requiring a non-network SIM.  AT&T requires the same method for unlocking.  You need something to trigger the unlock process.  It's not the carrier's fault, it's the phone's fault.

• gramps28

I did the same thing but used eBay.

Tmobile does have some phones that do have a Tmobile unlocking app but the phone needs

to support it.

T-Mobile Device Unlock app

• budro

I did not even think of going on ebay.  According to att and sprint they said that the sim change was unheard of. They wanted me to get an account and buy a sim.  It seems that they really don't know what they are talking about and just throw out some line so get rid of you. They are just Bots programmed to sell. The closest T mobile store had a cutie that gave me an adapter to use because she said most new phones have a nano sim.  She was nice and it was free. She wished me luck and I went to the mall to hunt for someone to help.

• smplyunprdctble

If Sprint still uses SIM-less phones, I understand why they wouldn't understand, but AT&T should.

You need something to trigger the unlock process.  Instead of having a setting in the devices that would probably cause a ton of phone calls saying "I want this unlocked" not knowing what it means, it's easier to have a passive way of doing it.  A non-carrier SIM is the way.

iPhones do it through iTunes though, so it really isn't consistent.  And, a lot of people live in the iWorld, so that may be why they haven't heard of it.

Like I said, keeping a non-carrier SIM is all you need for any current and future unlockings (assuming the same SIM size / adapter availability).  You don't even need to activate the other SIM.  It just needs to register that the SIM doesn't belong to the carrier the phone is locked to.

....side note, Carrier SIM locking is BS that came in to play because carriers were trying to get people to sign up and give "free" phones.  They needed some way to keep folks from getting this nice phone and jumping ship to another carrier that doesn't offer the phone (or using the phone with another carrier if they decided to up and jump ship for whatever reason).  People had no clue how much phones really cost (they're making up for it in their 2 year contract).  Now companies are trying to lower plan prices and have us pay for our phones outright (better for folks who upgrade less than every 2 years), but they're financing them... which means they need a way to keep you from doing a down payment and jumping ship.  The block list helps throughout the US, but doesn't prevent a device from being sold to Brazil, so a carrier lock still needs to be implemented.

The only way that carrier locks can really be eliminated is buying a phone out right via a seller that doesn't implement the carrier lock (Nexus devices, non-carrier specific iPhones).  You're paying for the device fully up front, so there's absolutely no ties required.  Carriers don't have separate inventory of locked/unlocked (which would be a problem if the wrong was given, plus the attempt at managing quantities), so they keep theirs locked and have their unlocking policy (which, well, generally requires a non-carrier SIM, which is generally not a problem because people unlocking already have their target in mind)

• budro

Thanks for the info.  One more thing... Someone told me to just cut the large sim down to fit. The gold part is still the same size in all the sim cards. I guess you learn something new when you have to.

• smplyunprdctble

You could do that.  It's not recommended as it may not be exact to let the contacts hit properly or you could cut it slightly incorrectly sized and risk damaging the device.

But, there is a SIM cutting tool that is available that some people swear by.

• Re: Ulocking Phone

Sprint still uses SIMs, or as they call it a UICC. 

Universal Integrated Circuit Card

At least their MVNO Boost Mobile uses them.

• e2k

I keep old deactivated SIM cards around for this exact purpose. When my girlfriend had her iPhone unlocked (via a 3rd party service), I used an old Verizon SIM card to test it. Not only did it connect to the network, it even "offered" to complete a call (if we provided a credit card number). This was more that enough to confirm that the unlock was successful.

More commonly, I've used old AT&T SIM cards to trigger the phone to prompt for an unlock code. I have done this with Samsung, LG and Pantech phones (and possibly others). Once the unlock code is entered correctly, the phone is unlocked.

As a general rule, I unlock all of my devices as soon as they are eligible. My philosophy can be described as, "Why wait until you really need to unlock, and possibly encounter delays or other problems, when you can unlock now and be done with it?" Besides, unlocking increases the phone's resale vale.