od_hindu

I currently have a knox tripped Note 5 on Jump on Demand. The phone is in perfect conditions. no scratches, the battery is fine. If I were to Jump to the S7. Would I have any problems with it? I have spoke to multiple people they have all said different things. Does anyone know for sure. Someone from T-Mobile said that I would be fine because they do not check for tripped knox in store, but I would be charged for the phone when it goes threw a full check up at T-Mobile. Is this true? If I Jump with my Note 5, I would have to pay for the phone due to the Knox being tripped or would I be fine?Does anyone went threw this process before and how did it go? Would I have any problems upgrading to the S7?

Thank You

All replies

• tidbits

Re: Tripped Knox Note 5 JoD

Yes tripped Knox voids the warranty. You "may" get lucky and the person who handles your device might not check and you luck out, but if he does expect to pay the deductible.

• john.hamby.jh@gmail.com

They shouldn't charge anything! Every device turned in gets a factory refurbished before being sold again, and samsung can reset the knox counter to 0x0 for Samsung pay to work, so charging a deductible is some crap....Sam doesn't release keys for knox but the absolutely can reset the counter. It used to be possible 2 years ago with triangleaway from chainfire but things have changed since then...either way a tripped knox counter in no way denotes damage to the device...nor devalues it....

• smplyunprdctble

john.hamby.jh@gmail.com wrote:

They shouldn't charge anything! Every device turned in gets a factory refurbished before being sold again, and samsung can reset the knox counter to 0x0 for Samsung pay to work, so charging a deductible is some crap....Sam doesn't release keys for knox but the absolutely can reset the counter. It used to be possible 2 years ago with triangleaway from chainfire but things have changed since then...either way a tripped knox counter in no way denotes damage to the device...nor devalues it....

Yes, however, there's no way for Samsung to know the reason for Knox being tripped, and what's happened after the trip.  If it was tripped to be rooted and overclocked, a factory refurbishing may not stop a "ticking time bomb" if it was an abused device.

(Note to the OP:  I'm not accusing you of this, I don't know the reason Knox was tripped for you, nor am I accusing the person I'm replying to, simply because people who accidentally trip something because they're fiddling around with things aren't the problem.  The people that are the problem are people who mod / overclock / internally abuse a device, then restore back to factory and it works for the new person for a while until they try to do something slightly more and it fails.)

Again, the refurbishment process is going to weed out devices that have been damaged, and in the majority of cases (unless someone has gone to the trouble of installing an entirely custom firmware, including a custom kernel with the ability to turn of thermal dvfs throttling) heat isn't going to be an issue as devices that are overclocked will reach the dvfs limit and thermal throttling will engage to limit core frequencies until the temp comes down. In fact, our exynos 7420 soc's can't even run continuously at max STOCK frequencies without throttling, so it really doesn't matter if you overclock the device because when the two reaches 95 degrees Celsius dvfs throttling begins and continues to the temp limit of 110....gpu throttling kicks in even faster with a maintainable max frequency of only around 540-600mhz, even tho the gpu will scale to 700mhz, and in the case of my device 852mhz....even on a stock device you'll only achieve short bursts at that clocks, not sustained, so fear of damaged equipment is negligible at best.

• matesny

It is reasoable for Samsung to void warranty if the firmware is tampered with or the device is booted with something other than theirs. However, there are many people in the world who want freedom of completely owning their devices and doing whatever they want to do with it. If you are on JOD, is is quite unlikely that a rooted or knox tripped device will pass, but you may save that $175 by installing a pure android to it and selling it on another marketplace. you should of course pay it down, first

• theartiszan

Depending on the rep you talk with in the store when you do it, you might not get charged. I believe they are supposed to consider that out of warranty. I have heard Samsung denied people warranty service without a charge due to Knox being tripped. I believe that is Samsung's policy on the practice. Htc will only warranty their devices that have had their bootloader unlocked if the problem is without a doubt a hardware issue that couldn't be caused by software. Like the volume button stopped working or something similar.

Well, i agree with the folks who say they want full control over a nearly thousand dollar device. I also agree with strong security and a safe platform for the masses. I think limiting access to the system area of the device is a good standard practice for the masses. BUT if you own your device you should be given immediately oem and carrier unlock codes at your request. Once that device belongs to me, meaning JOD is paid off or i bought my device outright, if i choose to root it and install any thing i want, that's my decision. Now if a carrier wants to say,  "hey, here's the deal- if you wanna connect to our network then you have to be on OUR official firmware because it's within our rights to make reasonable efforts to control what happens across our network" then that's fine- it's now my choice if i want to use that carrier, their firmware, and services. But Samsung should have protocol in place for me to move from an official carrier firmware to a custom one and return back if i choose without breaking any official functionality (samsung pay) when running an official firmware. If I'm running official then everything should work, and if I'm running with a modified boot.img then disable samsung pay if you must, but i should always have the option of returning to bone stock.

• tidbits

Then you need to bring that up with Samsung and not T-mobile

TMO releases the firmware and TMO has WAY more pull with Sammy than even the entire XDA community, so since Tmo wants to be our source for firmware then it only makes sense they would also apply pressure to Samsung oh behalf of THEIR customers? No? Sort of the sh*t rolls downhill philosophy. Not to mention mention you can't ask the public to rely solely on your software, but then NOT take the responsibility for providing solutions when your customers are looking for a certain functionality. If there's anything I take away from the many Tweets from John Legere it's that he wants TMO to be different And BETTER than VZW and At&t and keeping the boatloads unlocked is a Sure way to do just that!

• tidbits

It's the other way around.  A company that controls over 45% of the mobile market being forced to do something that doesn't even control 5% of the mobile market world wide.  Samsung could do fine without T-Mobile, but T-Mobile won't be fine without Samsung since that's the biggest sellers and attracting customers for them like the iPhone.

Yet samsung caves to the us carriers in every other respect? Samsung expends HUGE amounts of energy to maintain a half dozen different variants of the same device because every carrier has it's own requirements. Obviously the carrier only needs to say what they want. Short of knox (which sammy won't budge on) they pretty much give these US carriers whatever they want, so why not ask tmo to want unlocked bootloaders?

• tidbits

They don't because they make bank. Samsung admitted this back during the Galaxy S. They charge carriers for features and support. By them doing this that allows them to making bigger profits on their devices because it lowers the bottom line per device to turn a quicker profit.

Tell me one company that doesn't do this? I can name one. Apple.................

• tidbits

T-Mobile already went on record back when HTC started locking bootloaders with the likes of the Sensation and Amaze it was up to the manufacturer. They don't ask to lock them or unlock them. It was the manufacturer sole discretion.

Right now with the Galaxy S7 and S7 edge this is the first time T-Mobile has asked and working with Samsung to unlock the bootloaders which traditionally Samsung has left them unlocked unless asked for it to be locked.

• tidbits

Oh yet Samsung upper management has said nothing and done nothing.

Samsung low level reps have said canned responses that was said when Verizon started asking for locked bootloaders. So right now I will believe T-Mobile unless someone of power comes out and says different which Samsung refuses to do.

I want to add YOU have more power than T-Mobile does. What you do affects both Samsung and T-Mobile. If you get your friends to stop buying Samsung products and you switch to another carrier they both lose. Do enough people Samsung loses market share and gives rise to competitors.

• matesny

Only way "We the People" will have any say in this is through legislation.

Unfortunately "We the People" do not have time to spend on lobbying for such legislations as "We the People" aren't getting paid for such but them the representatives of us do. What is worse, we the People have no say on what represents our will.

Our democracy is hacked, Mr. Robot!