4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 13, 2016 3:42 PM by tidbits RSS

Did I just get ripped off by Tmobile and insurance provider?

arlington2016

I cracked the screen on my Nexus 5.  I have insurance through JUMP.  The insurance provider wants a $150 deductible to replace the phone and cannot say whether I will get a refurbished Nexus 5 (Google/LG stopped making the device and Tmobile does not carry the Nexus 5X for an easy upgrade).

I checked online and I can get a factory refurbished Nexus 5 for $150 or less from many shops.  So why is the deductible so high on an older phone and why am I paying $10 (soon to be $12) a month for insurance?

• 1. Re: Did I just get ripped off by Tmobile and insurance provider?
          tidbits

T-Mobile has nothing to do with the underwriter pricing. You could be on Sprint which also sold the Nexus 5 and it will be the same. It has always had a deductible and if it's too high just buy a  refurbished and call it a day. You can probably find a screen repair shop cheaper than buying that refurbished too.

Personally insurance is only worth it when it's within 6  months to 1 year at the most. Anything after that I'd a waste of money.

So right your best option is to jump or get it repaired. Keep in mind when you jump the underwriter actually buys the device from you which allows you to jump. If they have it on file you broke the phone and numbers don't match up they'll charge you the $150 to jump.

• 2. Re: Did I just get ripped off by Tmobile and insurance provider?
            arlington2016

Thanks for the quick response. Technically, T-mobile has a great deal to do with the underwriting pricing since they contract with the insurance provider and take a cut of the monthly JUMP fees.  If the insurance provider sets unreasonable deductibles to the detriment of the consumer, T-mobile will have to deal with the response.

But I understand where you're coming from - my options probably won't get any better.  The need to JUMP is moot since I want the Google pure android product and T-Mobile isn't carrying the Nexus 5X anyways.  Probably need to cancel the JUMP service and save my $12 a month.  Lesson learned.

• 3. Re: Did I just get ripped off by Tmobile and insurance provider?
              tidbits

Actually they don't. All they play is the middle man. They adjust their pricing as they see it.

• 4. Re: Did I just get ripped off by Tmobile and insurance provider?
                tidbits

Switch providers. You will see the exact same price. That's why I brought up Sprint. Even without jump and normal insurance the prices are the same.