Where's the Uber for Gear app?

tfurru

My girlfriend and I are on the same T-Mobile account.  We both have Gear S2s.  Same model # and same software version.  She purchased hers 3 weeks ago and the Uber for Gear app was pre-loaded on her watch and also appears in the Gear App Store.

I purchased mine on 2/3/16 and the Uber for Gear app is NOT pre-loaded on mine nor is it in the Gear App Store (we have two different looking Gear App Stores).  Now she has it connected to a Samsung Note 5 whereas I have it connected to A Blackberry Priv.  Is the Uber app for Samsung only?  I have found NOTHING regarding this anywhere on the web, other than unanswered questions like mine.  The T-Mobile store rep couldn't even answer my question.  Did Samsung pull the Uber app recently on recent watch shipments?  That was the big selling point for the watch was the Uber app.

All replies

• tfurru

Re: Where's the Uber for Gear app?

Tweets asking this same question

• tmo_mike_c

Hi there tfurru we'd like to give you an answer about this, but it may be better to follow up with Samsung about the Uber app availability. T-Mobile can only provide general support but we'd be unable to tell you whether or not the Gear Manager will have this application.

• tfurru

I got an answer from Samsung and would like to share it.  There are two different versions of Gear Manager (and as a result two different versions of the Gear App Store): 1 for Samsung phones and 1 for non-Samsung phones.  The Uber for Gear app was only developed for use with Samsung phones, it cannot function to work with non-Samsung phones.  Therefore, it is not available on the non-Samsung Gear App Store.  I have a Blackberry Priv and my girlfriend has a Note 5, so that's why it does not appear in gear app store but does on my girlfriends gear store.  Uber has no plans at this time to make an app for the S2 that can be used with non-Samsung phones.