How long after bill due date will my phone stay on ?

rahanbey13

hhow long after my bill due date does my phone stay active ?

All replies

• tidbits

It varies. I believe first time is roughly a little over 1 month, but after that it would end up being weeks. All depends if it's a common occurrence or not.

• smplyunprdctble

If you know you're going to be late, set up a Payment Arrangement.  That helps prevent any disconnection.

Payment arrangement

• tmo_lauren

It does indeed vary. It's based largely off of your payment history, if you are someone who has always paid on time but is having an off month, you are going to get more time before suspension than someone who pays late regularly.

You can reach out to customer care to try and set up a payment arrangement so long as you qualify!

-Lauren

• magenta5904074

I had been a customer for 2 years and never made a late payment, and I mean never. For my 24th month bill,  I made a mistake and didn't get in there to pay it (I had the money. I just messed up) and they cut me off from all services DAY ONE of being late: the bill was due on Sunday and I woke up to no service on Monday. I could not transfer money out of my savings to my checking to pay the bill because I had no phone or texting services. Thank God I have a landline at home. I was able to transfer the money from there and pay the bill. They are very harsh to do that after only one day. I will never think so highly of them again. I paid immediately so my kids would not be without service. In a couple of years when they are out of the house, I will be switching to a more customer-friendly carrier. This experience will always stick with me.

• smplyunprdctble

magenta5904074 wrote:

I had been a customer for 2 years and never made a late payment, and I mean never. For my 24th month bill, I made a mistake and didn't get in there to pay it (I had the money. I just messed up) and they cut me off from all services DAY ONE of being late: the bill was due on Sunday and I woke up to no service on Monday. I could not transfer money out of my savings to my checking to pay the bill because I had no phone or texting services. Thank God I have a landline at home. I was able to transfer the money from there and pay the bill. They are very harsh to do that after only one day. I will never think so highly of them again. I paid immediately so my kids would not be without service. In a couple of years when they are out of the house, I will be switching to a more customer-friendly carrier. This experience will always stick with me.

My 30 seconds of research shows AT&T does the same thing as T-Mobile, and Verizon appears to be inconclusive.  So, good luck in your endeavors to find a carrier that doesn't do this.  I have forgotten to pay a credit card once and they shut me off immediately, even though I've been a customer for several years.  I think it's a product of the fact paying is now so easy and companies are wanting to have as little overdue on their books as possible as it reduces expansion capital (I know you're one person, but imagine if every customer decided to be a couple days late - that impacts cashflow a LOT, and with plans getting cheaper, there's not a lot of extra cash flowing in).

Though, I do agree with you that it is a problem getting all your services shut off.  My bank requires two-factor authentication when I log in, and if I don't have my phone, I don't know if I'd be able to log in.  If paying your bill requires access to your bank and access to your bank requires your phone and you have no phone because you can't pay your bill, I can't imagine a good solution.