snn_555

I have version 4.6.4.6 installed on LG G4 H811.  Play Store prompted me to update.  I did, but still old version remains.  I had seen a few 5.x versions in the wild, but the Play Store shows the new all-magenta styling. The app page doesn't specify an actual version # or even state "varies by device."   Not a huge issue considering a lot of folks are commenting in the ratings that the app will not connect to the account and instead refers to the mobile web version.  I haven't had any issues other than the widget graphic seeming to be a bit garbled.  I knew there was an update rumored due to the change with Binge On, where you have faster access to an on/off "switch" and figured there might be other changes and improvements to the app itself.  Like I said, not a big deal, but it is strange that the app page on GPStore looks new and the version didn't change either during the update.

Anyone with some insight?

All replies

• tmo_ryan

Re: New My T-Mobile App Seems to be the Old

4.6.4.6 is the old client, at least that's what I have on my Avant right now.

We're taking a similar approach to when sending out device OTAs, first a partial roll out to make sure things don't go haywire when in the "wild" then full release. It shouldn't be long though. Personally I'm eagerly waiting for the iOS update myself ever since I saw the beta last year.

• snn_555

So, is this a T-Mobile initiated OTA or update via Play Store?  I figured it would be a roll out of some sort.  Thanks!

• tmo_ryan

It'll be from the Play Store however I believe we have the ability to feather the launch and we're using that. Assuming everything goes swimmingly, updates normally go wide open after about a week so I'd say by the 3rd/4th it would be widely available for updating by anyone.

That said, when I was chatting with the folks responsible a while back, they talked about code in the app itself that'll pop to tell a user a newer version is available and encouraging them to update so it'll be hard to miss that it's out.

• snn_555

Fact Sheet: Updated T-Mobile App | T-Mobile Newsroom

Just more info for anyone else who might see this post.

• allen5

I get an error, and from the Play Store comments also, this is no longer usable for prepaid accounts.

I get the prompt to update, I did, now I get, a "This app is not currently available for your account yet" and redirects me to the mobile web site.

I uninstalled the app, shame they took this away from prepaid  accounts. I have a prepaid Simply Prepaid Account.

• snn_555

I see the screen to send feedback for calls and messages but still can't find the speed test the app asks me to run.

Screenshot_2016-02-16-19-03-06.png

• tmo_ryan

Looks like that tab was added prematurely. I don't have all the details but that feature should be coming in an upcoming release.

I'm going to tip-toe a bit but the mobile app is far from finished from what I see/know

• snn_555

Oddly enough, I'm glad to hear it isn't quite finished versus "my stable-version app is broke."

• snn_555

Seems this might be a good app to have testers input on.

• tmo_ryan

Keep the feedback coming.

I'll definitely pass it along to the folks in the know.

We send a lot of these things through our own usability labs (where tmo and non-tmo customers participate) and various other studies but IMO there's no such thing as too much feedback

• snn_555

Will do.

• tidbits

Pink and white don't mix on the notification shade.  My old eyes make me squint lol

• snn_555

Any word on updates?  I still get the inbox welcome notification and app still feels unfinished.

• snn_555

Follow up....

App developer emails sent.  No replies.

tmo_ryan

• tmo_ryan

Here's what I found out:

• The welcome notification thing is a known "bug", should be addressed in an upcoming release (probably not too far off but I don't have a specific date)
                                              • Emails go...TBD but I do know they go somewhere but for my own knowledge I'm asking specifically where/who so I can harass the appropriate person in the future if more questions get asked. Generally though I know the folks on the team that "own" the app so I already have a sufficient level of ability to harass but if I know EXACTLY who to poke it's more fun

I'll also share that the app is far from "finished". It should have a certain level of polish already (bug fixes not withstanding) but as far as overall functionality there's a lot more coming. More than that and they'll hunt me down...

• snn_555

androidapp@t-mobile.com

That's where in sent the emails.

Thanks for staying in top of it.

Its the first app you use on a T-Mobile phone after all.

• snn_555

This link seems relevant.

The specified item was not found.

Seems the OP found some info, buried deep in another T-Mobile link.  This only serves to show others are taking note.

• matesny

To my knowledge, T-Mobile is about to deploy a major upgrade to the reporting system and the user interface. That development and testing probably interfered with the functionality within the App.

• snn_555

I hope so, most people don't consider a carrier's app to be much of an important issue, but it is the mobile portal to all things T-Mobile account-related.

• tmo_ryan

We definitely plan to give it tons of love and hope folks love it back

• snn_555

Any news a month later?

• tmo_ryan

soon^TM

The next update should be out in the near future (as in this month). We're now getting in to the realm of less aesthetic updates and more integration/technical improvements which get timed with other projects/launches. I can't delve in to specifics but there are a few cool new things I like in this next release.

• indyrobb

A new version seemed to have rolled out recently and based on the reviews, people can see usage... Maybe.   I still can not unfortunately.   I'm on version 5.2.2.39 which I think is the newest.  Am I supposed to be able to see usage?   I get one screen for each of us with data consumed, but that's it.  I'd do some screen shots, but I keep getting the "we're hitting some rough waters" error message and wants me to try again later. 

Basically I can see I've used 200MB of data, then I think I have a check usage button but then it takes me to a page where it really wants me to check my plan and services.   Same thing when I go to look at the secondary line,overall data only.   No texts counts, voice mins used, and definitely no date/time stamps.  

I just want to make sure there  isn't anything wrong with my account setup as the timing of usage in the app dissappeared at the same time that we went from 6gb to 10gb,and when it kicked in ,even though i called in worried that there were less line items (3 being removed,  2 being added)  that everything was fine.  Until the day it was time to change, and sure enough, the data portion wasn't added on to either of our lines.  And if I do poke around in the plans section, I see the same plan listed twice.. Is one good and one bad?  I'm not sure which fits me best!!  Lol    

• snn_555

5.1.4.1 is the lastest version of the app and as stated, the new version was to be released well over a month ago.  My last post was 2 months ago and the expected release date was, well, about 2 months ago.

Edit:  I had to side load 5.2.1.37 due to the app not updating itself in more than 3 weeks since the last update I could find.  Where did you find 5.2.2.39?

Edit 2:  Found 5.2.2.39.  Found one improvement:  No more Welcome Alert.  All else still broken as previously mentioned.

I only use the app to pay my bill now.

• tmo_ryan

Update coming soon.*

Should bring the cool new features in iOS right now to Android as well.

*For real this time...or so I'm told.

• indyrobb

Sorry I didn't respond earlier but looks like you found it.  It's slower than molasses during a Minnesota winter when first loading.  Lots of features still missing for me as well - only some tests available, can't do a speed test etc. 

@tmo_ryan what's soon?   Lol.  I know I'm impatient.  But as a relatively new customer, I like some of the features that are there, or were there.

Again, if you guys ever need beta testers, sign me up.  I like to break things to improve them, but only if suggestions and feedback are listened to. 

• tmo_ryan

AFAIK it's rolling out right now in the typical phased release approach that most software updates come out in. I believe it should be at 100% available over the next couple of weeks.

One of the new features, chatting with a rep from in the app, is very popular on iOS so we're sticking with the phased approach so things stay sane for both customers and we can ensure there are reps on the other side. Ain't no one like Black Friday like pandemonium

• snn_555

I may have to search for another APK to sideload. I have T-Mobile 5.2.2.39 from July 11, 2016, but it still has the same issues as the previous.

• tmo_ryan

I'll check on version # for sure. I've heard some of the new items are baked in but might be hidden.

Personally, I'm on 5.2.2.39 right now so we all should be on the same at this point.

So I'm asking about the right things, what are the issues you're encountering?

Here's a few things I've gathered that I'll check on so far:

• Ability to see usage for text/calls including timestamps
                                                                                                  • Slow initial load time (Ryan note: I'm not seeing this, everything for me feels pretty snappy on android and iOS)
                                                                                                  • Missing tests ( indyrobb can you help me make sure I've got the specifics here)?
                                                                                                    • indyrobb

Hi Ryan,

1. I can't see actual usage of anything but the data at a high level.  And

so I click on check usage, which takes me to the high level area, and then

my options are change data plan and change plan.  I used to see the

breakout of the data, texts, phone calls and the times.

2. Slow load times varies - sometimes it's 15 seconds, and other times it

can take 2 mins.   And often, I get an error that it's not available and I

have 2 choices, either visit my tmobile website, or not now which then

close the app.

3.  As far as missing tests -  I for sure can not see the speed test

functionality.  In an earlier version when it asked you to share your

results with tmobile, it was texts  calls, and speed tests.  It would error

out saying there wasn't any recent speed tests available (I know it's

probably built in, but I use the ookla test all the time, so I had, but not

tmobile version).

But also,  it would be "nice"  if the tests they are running was explained

to us.  It's great that they run 26 tests,  and found 2 issues.  But how do

I know the tests are valid?  What did they actually check?   Sometimes it

recommends I get a cellspot, but it doesn't tell me my signal levels and

when I go to call in, they ask why, and I tell them what I've experienced,

and then finally say, your app told me to!  Lol.  I get denied, although, I

have to call again today since my speeds are like 10d/1u for the last

several days/weeks and I've used a whopping half a gig of data in the

entire month!  (sorry, this just reminded me to call)

I have screenshots if you'd like to see them.  Sometimes the visual

definitely helps.

Thank you!

Robbie

• tmo_ryan

Indyrobb wrote:

Hi Ryan,

1. I can't see actual usage of anything but the data at a high level.  And

so I click on check usage, which takes me to the high level area, and then

my options are change data plan and change plan.  I used to see the

breakout of the data, texts, phone calls and the times.

Right. That used to be there. I'll see what I can find out but know that you're not the only one that's encountering this so nothing weird with your account.

2. Slow load times varies - sometimes it's 15 seconds, and other times it

can take 2 mins.   And often, I get an error that it's not available and I

have 2 choices, either visit my tmobile website, or not now which then

close the app.

Any particular pages/tabs that seem slower than others? My experience across my devices is a lot snappier so curious if there is a particular page I could reference for poking the dev team.

3.  As far as missing tests -  I for sure can not see the speed test

functionality.  In an earlier version when it asked you to share your

results with tmobile, it was texts  calls, and speed tests.  It would error

out saying there wasn't any recent speed tests available (I know it's

probably built in, but I use the ookla test all the time, so I had, but not

tmobile version).

Speed test used to be there for a hot second then it came out. I'd love to see it back, I'll give some dirty looks on your behalf and my own

But also,  it would be "nice"  if the tests they are running was explained

to us.  It's great that they run 26 tests,  and found 2 issues.  But how do

I know the tests are valid?  What did they actually check?   Sometimes it

recommends I get a cellspot, but it doesn't tell me my signal levels and

when I go to call in, they ask why, and I tell them what I've experienced,

and then finally say, your app told me to!  Lol.  I get denied, although, I

have to call again today since my speeds are like 10d/1u for the last

several days/weeks and I've used a whopping half a gig of data in the

entire month!  (sorry, this just reminded me to call)

I have screenshots if you'd like to see them.  Sometimes the visual

definitely helps.

Thank you!

Robbie

For what it's worth, it tells me I should have a cellspot too. I'll pass along the feedback to the team.

I'm going to send off an email and I'll check back in once I hear something back and the latest software version (though I'm confident it is 5.2.2.39 with some of the new things hidden for now in the background).

• indyrobb

Thanks Ryan!  I think I can say that for me, and probably most of us here

we appreciate everything your doing for us on these issues.

As far as the snappiness of the app, I think it's really just the initial

load time for me - it's fast sometimes and then other times it just takes

forever. I mean my screen can time out and it set for 2 minutes so I know

it takes at least that long. And then I'll get that sorry we're running

into issues screen. But once I get in things seem to be ok especially after

the test are ran sometimes when it's running it's a little sluggish but not

by much.  I just hope they bring back the usage that's my biggest gripe I

guess at this point because that's really what I want to use it for just

keep track of when and who and how.

• snn_555

indyrobb said exactly what I would have said.

• tmo_ryan

Yeah. It was there and it'll be back. Not going to dive in to the details though.

• snn_555

I have 5.2.2.39, which the app asked me to update to today, but there was no update in the Play Store.  I see no changes so far.

• indyrobb

I couldn't get logged in today initially, at least via Wifi.  However when I was on lte, I got right in.  Did a few things and when I went to close the app, all sad like, I got a popup telling me that they had updated the app, changed the way you logged in, check your usage etc...  It opened up the play store but no update for me, but I was already on the newest. 

However, I remember Ryan saying some of the app features needed to be enabled from the back end, so I went back into the app, gave it several mins (I still haven't called in about my slow speeds here yet), just to make sure nothing needed to be downloaded and lo and behold - some new/old features!  I can now see usage for the lines... Wait, that's the only thing I think I was missing.   LOL

Of course, I'd still like to see what tests are being ran, and that speed test would be cool, and chatting right from the app would be awesome.  But I'll take baby steps for now!   I did notice it said 27 tests were ran instead of 26,so something new was added.

Oh, and it's much faster on Wifi now too!  

• snn_555

I noticed all the same things you did.  Still wanting to know what those 27 tests are, speed tests, and batch selection for messages and calls to like or dislike instead of one at a time.  I still have that orange notification icon on my T-Mo App in the app drawer, but no alerts.

• snn_555

When will Android version be updated to reflect the iPhone features like live chat etc...?

• tmo_ryan

TL;DR version:

The functionality for live chat in app is there but currently isn't fully enabled across all of the Android base. The iOS crowd and those that do see it on Android are literally crushing it which is great but also means the demand is high but the supply of reps isn't there...yet. This means longer time between responses which can get really frustrating. We want to make sure that the experience is solid, up to our standards and we're able to reply swiftly so Android is still limited.

There's plans in place to scale to greater portions of the Android base ASAP (an increasing portion should start seeing more later this month). There's some other really cool plan things in the works too that should help

Other than live chat, what else are you noticing?

It's been a while since I've delved in to the app on iOS vs. Android.

• snn_555

Other aspects are more a change than an across-the-board implementation. 

Still waiting on a widget rather than the notification area feature that is honestly just too big. 

Still curious as to what these 26 tests are testing and why the diagnostics (what are they?) take so long and usually never complete. 

Also, batch selection of calls and messages to either like or dislike instead of each one individually, since a lot of the time, messages are received in the same location for several hours, such as at home or work and the like or dislike thereof will remain largely unchanged. 

Love to see some sort of true speed test within the app, since Ookla's Speed Test is the only zero-rated for data app T-Mobile seems to allow, but is entirely incorrect after throttling kicks in after high speed allotment is surpassed.  One T-Mo rep suggested dslreports.com, but it does use data, however it is true and shows 88kbps speed rather than 75mbps after throttle.  Also, "keep me logged in" still isn't working.

This is mainly a request to tweak and explain what is already there in the app.  The chat option is nice, since I myself do not use social media and can't always be near a PC, plus given the wait times for chat on desktop and reply times for social media, I don't mind waiting for an answer in increments.  Social media always seems to alternate reps with each reply being passed to the next rep in line and inconsistent communication.

Perhaps all this seems a bit too involved for a simple app, but the app has been touting change for some time and it is the portal for which all things T-Mobile should be accessible regarding a mobile life.  I also understand the Android fragmentation issue in regards to implementing broad changes across multiple devices.

Thanks for the reply Ryan.

• snn_555

I might have found the chat option.  When you attempt to call support via app, you are offered a "Message us" button, but it is always grey.  IDK if that is the same as iOS.

• tmo_ryan

First up. Thanks for the detailed thoughts on opportunities. Generally speaking the app development is very "Pareto" meaning its focused on those things that would appeal to a huge swath of customers (so lots of billing, account management, etc). I'll certainly pass along your thoughts.

Re: Messaging, yep...the "message us" button is what's on iOS. The grey out is likely tied to what I mentioned above where it's crazy popular so it's availability is constrained. Overall there's a lot of excitement for it on both sides. Like T-Force though, the curve to keep it staffed sufficiently is nutso but we'll get it done