jesully01

My reception at home and at work are very poor.  When will Extended range LTE be available in Phoenix AZ?

All replies

• drnewcomb2

Phoenix is currently blocked for 700 MHz due to the TV channel 51 exclusion area of KPPX-TV. T-Mobile will have to negotiate to operate concurrently with channel 51 or pay the station to move off channel 51. They've done this in some large markets (e.g. L.A., NYC, SF Bay, etc). One can assume that they've been in contact with the station's management but as for when: that we won't know until something's announced.

• tmo_mike_c

Oh jesully01 I know that's rough having poor receptions, especially at home. We don't have any word as to if/when Band 12 will extend out that direction. Based on our coverage map, you should be getting some signal in Phoenix. I would suggest checking out our Signal issues on device page. It has some common steps you can take to help the phone get the best connection possible at your home.

• jesully01

How about now?  Any new updates on this yet?  I know the service interruptions I have would be fixed by the lower frequency carrier signal so I would like to see that so my call quality is better.  I have also seen that tmobile bought the rights to the 700 Mhz range but waiting on approval.  I have tried all the fixes to call reception/quality, I have even tried 3 different phones.  Before I spend any more money on t mobile I would like to know when we will be getting the extended range LTE.

• tmo_mike_c

I checked on this and I'm seeing LTE is coming soon. I don't have an exact date, but right now it appears to be on the way. Thanks for sticking with us this whole time. I'm sure that LTE will make a world of difference for you.

• jesully01

Any updates yet?  I really don't want to change carriers, I like my pricing but with poor reception I feel like I am wasting my money.

• tmo_mike_c

I hear ya. I don't have any official timeline for the Phoenix market right now. With Phoenix being a major city, it looks promising to have Band 12 as soon as possible.

• drnewcomb2

"A protected TV channel 51 station. 700 MHz A block spectrum cannot be used inside the green circle. On 1/27/2016 KPPX-TV filed to relocate to channel 31. The relocation was approved by the FCC on 6/28/2016. Spectrum Gateway expects the relocation to be complete by the end of the year."

KPPX's relocation to channel 31 was only approved a week ago. Don't look for anything to happen quickly. If KPPX relocates by EOY. Then T-Mobile may turn on 700 MHz by this time next year.

If this is something you find intolerable, and unless you are on some special grandfathered plan or travel overseas frequently, you might want to consider getting T-Mobile to unlock your phone and looking into an AT&T-based MVNO.

P.S. I'll add that CellMapper dot net shows one band-12 site in Phoenix. First seen in May. T-Mobile may be starting deployment under some interim agreement. OTOH, the sighting may be bogus. Not too many people using CellMapper in Phoenix.

• jesully01

Thanks for the info I couldn't even find that the relocation had been approved.  2 months ago the reply here was it would be soon.  If it is a year away then yeah I think it is time to change and then look at coming back in a year.

• drnewcomb2

I find it very difficult to find much of anything on the FCC's website. There's such a bewildering number of forms and applications that I can never locate what I'm looking for. I have to take other people's word for the current status.

What phone are you using and do you have any payments left on it? Is it locked or unlocked?

• jesully01

I switched to iphone hoping it would be better reception but it is worse. I only got that 4 months ago.  I would most likely do the jump and buy as cheap a phone as I could and then pay that off.  Lots of specials available for ATT since I have direct tv and a 20% discount for being a Honeywell employee.

• drnewcomb2

Well, the current iPhones (6s) works well on almost any carrier, once it's unlocked. I generally advise people to get a phone that has broad utility (like the iPhone 6s or Nexus 5x or 6P) and then get out of the phone squirrel-cage, where you get a new locked phone every time you want to change carriers. With an unlocked 6s you can go to any of the big-4 carriers and get it activated. Are you making payments on your iPhone? What plan are you on? (e.g. Jump! On Demand)?

• stevetjr

Everyone I know with an iPhone and if you look at the most complaints about signal it seems to be the iPhone. I have a friend down the road that has a 6s and at his house standing right next to him with my Galaxy S7 edge I get a stronger signal so in my opinion that says its the phone.

• stevetjr

This is the site that while not official has pretty up to date Band 12 info;

sites.google.com/site/cellularbinder/t-mobile-700a-spectrum

Just for FYI and of course this doesn't mean Phoenix will be the same but

it was only about a month or so after our channel 51 in Atlanta was

approved that Band 12 started popping up even though it was a few months

after that before it was announced as official live so there would be some

band 12 gaps at first but was still pretty consistently available just no

guarantees until officially announced.

• jesully01

OK, 2 months since channel 51 vacated the signal band.  I missed a call that my daughter didn't come home after school because she had gone to a friends house.  I didn't find out she was "missing" for over an hour.  All because of T mobile poor reception at work.  I want to know if I am going to see connections soon or do I leave T mobile??

• phx

Any updates on band 12? My kids in school don't have any service (and I mean this), and my house works on a single bar. Recently transplant from another carrier, and thinking seriously about switching back due to this issue.

Read posts on this thread that T-Mobile is "working" on this since early 2016, with very little progress though.

• drnewcomb2

There appear to be a couple of dozen band-12 sites in the Phoenix area, including suburbs.

• phx

Could be, but Thunderbird High school on Thunderbird and 19th Avenue got NO SERVICE. Very frustrating when kids don't have access and not reachable!

• drnewcomb2

How high is the hill to the NE of the school? (Moon Mountain?) There are four band-4 towers within about 2 miles of the school but one is to the NE of the hill. CellMapper.net shows a strong signal on Thunderbird Road but a poor signal up at Desert Shadows Condo. Sensorly shows something similar.

What you're describing sometimes happens with band 2 & 4 when the engineers have tried to optimize the network for minimum cochannel interference. They leave a little weak/dead spot in between.  If one of those towers had band 12, you'd probably get a strong signal but poor data speed because the 5x5 carrier would become saturated.

I'd suggest that you try to file a service request asking that the antennas and power levels on the nearby towers be adjusted to provide better service at the school.