Does tmobile fully support nexus 5x?

burns.lu477@gmail.com

Ive wanted to buy the nexus 5x since it released, but haven't due to all the support issues I've read about. Can I now buy the nexus and fully use it with my tmo service? Thanks

All replies

• e2k

Re: Does tmobile fully support nexus 5x?

It is fully compatible (i.e., it can use all of the T-Mobile bands), but T-Mobile will not support it. By this, I mean that they will not help you beyond providing the appropriate settings and making basic suggestions if you have problems using your phone on the network. You must be self-supporting.

I'm not sure if WiFi calling will work. I hear that it will be baked into Android 6.0. You also might not have a functioning tethering app. Perhaps someone else can chime in here (possibly tidbits) regarding these functionalities that you normally do not get on a non TMO-branded phone.

Beyond that, calls, text and data should work fine.

LTE (4G)

band 1 / 2100 MHz   IMT (Europe, Asia, Africa, Oceania, Brazil, India, Israel)

band 2 / 1900 MHz   PCS (Americas)

band 3 / 1800 MHz   DCS (Europe, Asia, Africa)

band 4 / 1700 MHz   AWS (Americas)

band 5 / 850 MHz   Cellular (Americas, Oceania, Brazil, Israel)

band 7 / 2600 MHz   IMT-E (Canada, South America, Europe, Asia)

band 12 / 700 MHz   Lower 700 (USA (AT&T, T-Mobile, regional))

band 13 / 750 MHz   Upper 700 (USA (Verizon))

band 17 / 700 MHz   Lower 700 (USA (AT&T))

band 20 / 800 MHz   EU Digital Dividend (Europe)

band 25 / 1900 MHz   PCS+G (USA (Sprint))

band 26 / 850 MHz   Extended Cellular (USA (Sprint))

band 29 / 700 MHz   Lower 700 (USA (AT&T))

band 41 / 2500 MHz   BRS / EBS (USA (Sprint))

WCDMA (3G / 4G)

band 1 (I) / 2100 MHz   IMT (Europe, Asia, Africa, Oceania, Brazil, India, Israel)

band 2 (II) / 1900 MHz   PCS (Americas)

band 4 (IV) / 1700 MHz   AWS (Americas)

band 5 (V) / 850 MHz   Cellular (Americas, Oceania, Brazil, Israel)

band 8 (VIII) / 900 MHz   (Europe, Asia, Africa)

CDMA (2G / 3G)

800 MHz / band 27 / BC10   ESMR (Americas (Sprint))

850 MHz / band 5 / BC0   Cellular (Americas, Oceania, Brazil, Israel)

1900 MHz / band 2 / BC1   PCS (Americas)

GSM (2G)

850 MHz / band 5   Cellular (Americas, Oceania, Brazil, Israel)

900 MHz / band 8   (Europe, Asia, Africa)

1800 MHz / band 3   DCS (Europe, Asia, Africa)

1900 MHz / band 2   PCS (Americas)

• tidbits

what support issues?

I have had the Nexus 5X from release and everything worked other than band 12 which was removed then put back my Google within a month of each other.  You don't really need band 12 at all to have everything working.

You are fine.

• ruz

The question should be: Does the Nexus 5X work on the T-Mobile network. In this case the answer is mostly YES. I am using the Nexus 5X since 4 days on the T-Mobile network and have come across two issues at this time. First let me list the operating conditions:

Phone: Nexus 5X, 32GB, Android 6.0.1, Patch level January  1. 2016, WiFi calling on

Problem 1: "Can't send message with T-Mobile, error-1"

This error shows up when a SMS is being sent and the phone is at this time connected to the internet on a local WiFi network. The phone can receive messages but is unable to send SMS messages. One must turn "WiFi calling" off in order to send the SMS. (one exception: the first time after an Android restart! Why, no clue)

Problem 2: Echo and lost voice when connected to a local network and WiFi calling is on.

This problem occasionally shows up when a call is placed and "WiFi calling" is on and the phone is connected to the local internet. It appear to depend on the pear connection setup. I observed  this when a called a Verizon call center number. I had to turn "WiFi calling" off in order to have a successful conversation.

A last comment: I think T-Mobile should at least list a statement to the fact that the Nexus 5X is verified to use VoIP and the LTE band 12. The Google web site asks any potential buyer to check with the network provider if the capability is supported by the service provider. Therefore T-Mobile gives no answer and Google points to T-Mobile and we have the typical finger pointing procedure!

• tidbits

I don't have those problems and yes it works. Everything works.

WiFi calling (I guess you mean VIOP?)

Band 12 works(verified by T-mobile, and various people across the Internet)

Even voicemail in the dialer works(turn it on through phone settings)

• ruz

After lot of research I cam across the setting causing the above symptoms. When I migrated from Nexus 5 to the Nexus 5X the setting CALL/CALLING ACCOUNTS/USE SIP CALLING was set to "for all calls". As a result one could observe the above symptoms. Also a forced WiFi call (wifi connected in airplane mode) eventually times out without any other action. After changing this setting to "for SIP calls only" WiFi calling woks normally.