Who does T-Mobile partner with in Mexico?

mskka

I have just signed up with the Simple Choice North America Plan,and I will be using my phone mostly in the Puerto Vallarta area. Which Mexican companies (all owned by Slim, so does it really matter - yes, because they all have their own cell towers) does T-Mobile partner with in order for their clients to have coverage here in Mexico?

All replies

• miket

Re: Who does T-Mobile partner with in Mexico?

One of lines was there in Sept.  It used Telcel.  He said it worked well.

• drnewcomb2

The primary roaming partner seems to be Telcel but people have gotten Movistar to work if Telcel failed. Always a good idea to have a backup plan when traveling internationally.

• tmo_mike_c

Hey mskka our fellow community members are right. We do have Telcel which is the most common roaming partner. We also have lusacell, Nextel, and Telefonica as roaming partners as well.

• mskka

What about Movistar? I ask because the Movistar cell has the best coverage here where I live.

To: ***edited personal info Mike C.***>

Sent: Sunday, January 31, 2016 7:24 PM

Subject:  - Who does T-Mobile partner with in Mexico?

|

T-Mobile Support Community

created by tmo_mike_c in Coverage - View the full discussionHey mskka our fellow community members are right. We do have Telcel which is the most common roaming partner. We also have lusacell, Nextel, and Telefonica as roaming partners as well. Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on T-Mobile Support Start a new discussion in Coverage by email or at T-Mobile Support Not interested in these emails anymore, or want to change how often they come? Update your email preferences.

|

• tmo_mike_c

You may see Telefonica or Movistar so you're okay to use your services. No worries.

• mskka

You seem to be a very knowledgeable person where T-Mobile in Mexico is concerned...do you mind if I pick your brain about another problem I'm having? I have homes in Northern California, where my new T-Mobile account is, and Mexico where I am at the moment. My husband is currently at our home in NorCal, and received our new T-Mobile phones. Currently we have our service with ATT, and we each have a phone with a number that will need to be ported over to T-Mobile. My husband has no idea how to do this, but he can just take his new phone into the closest T-Mobile store and they will help him out, no problem. My concern is with my new phone - once he delivers it into my hot little hand in a few weeks, can I just pop in the SIM card, dial 611, and have Customer Service port over my number so I am not without service on my number?

To: ***Edited personal info Mike C.***>

Sent: Sunday, January 31, 2016 7:59 PM

|

created by tmo_mike_c in Coverage - View the full discussionYou may see Telefonica or Movistar so you're okay to use your services. No worries.  Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on T-Mobile Support Start a new discussion in Coverage by email or at T-Mobile Support Not interested in these emails anymore, or want to change how often they come? Update your email preferences.

|

• drnewcomb2

When you establish your T-Mobile service, you will (should) be asked if you want to port an existing number. You answer "yes" and provide information about the account you're porting from. After some time, which may be a few hours to maybe 24, your phone calls start arriving a the new phone. Texts may take longer to sort out. You may want to warn your friends and family that you are porting carriers and may experience a brief disruption of phone service. You can generally make calls out immediately after you activate your account.

If you are not trading in your AT&T phones as part of the switch to T-Mobile, I do recommend that you request that AT&T unlock your current phones. They are much more useful and valuable in an unlocked state.

Also, you may want to hold off porting until the last week of your AT&T billing period. Most carriers don't prorate partial months when you port out. You might end up paying a whole month for only a few days' service.

• tmo_mike_c

Hey mskka you would be able to contact 611 and complete the port. I would like to add that drnewcomb2 has provided some great suggestions on how to handle this port process as well as having the phones unlocked if you are not planning on trading your AT&T phones in when you switch.

• mskka

Thank you both so much for your great advice!! Both our old phones are ancient non-smarts, so we won't be trading them in, as they aren't worth anything up north. However, my husband may keep and use his, because he has finally gotten the hang of texting, so he refuses to use a phone without a qwerty keyboard, and he says the Blackberry Classic that I got him is too big...I guess I'll have a very expensive paperweight!!

From: tmo_mike_c <no-reply@t-mobile.com>

To: ***Edited by Mike C.***>

Sent: Monday, February 1, 2016 10:40 AM

|

created by tmo_mike_c in Coverage - View the full discussionHey mskka you would be able to contact 611 and complete the port. I would like to add that drnewcomb2 has provided some great suggestions on how to handle this port process as well as having the phones unlocked if you are not planning on trading your AT&T phones in when you switch. Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on T-Mobile Support Start a new discussion in Coverage by email or at T-Mobile Support Not interested in these emails anymore, or want to change how often they come? Update your email preferences.

|

• tmo_mike_c

I'm glad we could help!

I can related to using the QWERTY keyboard. For the longest time I tried to resist using a full touchscreen phone. I finally gave in though and it was totally worth it. So now he turned your nice gift into an expensive paperweight, huh? Well, hopefully this isn't the last time you try to do something nice for him. If you can get him to break away from the QWERTY keyboard, I'm sure he'll find a full touchscreen phone he'll love!

• alogarcia

Hello, I recently changed my phone to a Moto X Pure and started having problems with data roaming in Mexico. My previous phone connected to TELCEL automatically and the service is pretty good. This new phone connects to Movistar, and at least in Ciudad Juarez their service sucks. Is there a way to force TELCEL as the roaming selection? Will just adding the TELCEL APN do that? I have found some APN settings for telcel but not sure if they are up to date. Please help

• drnewcomb2

No. Adding the Telcel APN will just mess up data roaming. Do you know how to manually select a network?  I don't have a Moto X but on my Moto G it's in Settings -> Cellular Networks -> Network Operators. It then rescans and reports the networks it sees. You tap the one you want to use.

• alogarcia

Hello, thanks for your response. I tried that yesterday, but it automatically switched back to Movistar after just a couple of minutes. Seems like Movistar is some sort of default... which in general terms, does not work

Is there a way to make TELCEL the default option when roaming?

I made some minor adjustments to T-Mobile's APN settings in my phone based on some suggestions found here. I'll have a chance to try again tonight when I go across the border again.

• tekno

tmo_mike_c

I have tried 2 T Mobile SIMs i  different devices and none seem to connect to data on any network other than Telcel.

I believe it is the nextel network (now AT&T) I can not register on AT ALL

The Movistar network I can register on but after connecteing I get "Limited service" meaning calls only, no data.

The Iusacel network (now AT&T)registers but connection fails.

Movstar seems to be the default but never gives data. Too bad as I only have 3G coverage available on Telcel and movistar has 3.5 G available and as I hear it is 4G speeds.

I have tried the international roaming APNs discussed elsewhere here .

If anyone know a formula for networks other than telcel in Mexico it would be nice to see details, not just conjecture. There are manybpeople asking about this all over the web.

Also is it possible to get our of TMobiles VPN when roaming in Mexico? My web browsing makes it look like I am in the USA which is OK but the result is a 200+ ms ping time, which is BAD.

Mark