kbowz28

The updates are taking longer every year ! Makes me want to switch to a nexus on my next upgrade . This is ridiculous !!!

All replies

• e2k

Maybe that's what you should do. The development cycle is a long process for every brand except Google. Moreover, neither T-Mobile nor any other company will give you an estimated date that a phone model will receive an update. The only publicly available information is available at the Firmware updates page.

• john.hamby.jh@gmail.com

Note 6 is said to be shipping with android N...or so rumor has it

• stevetjr

When HTC missed their advertised (but not guaranteed) 90 from release of AOSP to update they said it was because they were having a lot of issues and complications with MM.  Sounds like this was not an easy update for the manufacturers to integrate.

Now if the first signs from N are correct it looks like Google is taking a more modular approach to Android where they will make parts that are core that they can put updates out for and then the part for the flexible areas for the manufacturers to "tweak".  From what I have read because now the manufacturers wouldn't have to go the the entire OS but only their piece and then Google could take over updating the "core".

Yes, i agree. Google is taking one out of apple's playbook and building android to be modular. As you've stated this means a lot of benefits for updates and a smoother experience in general! Soon, once android includes both wifi calling AND volte out of the box, tmo won't even NEED to bloat it up to make these features available, and could in theory run a more vanilla android experience, closer to a nexus device. Not to mention it brings these features to the aosp community, where in the past you had to be running an official tw firmware to have them available! If only samsung would make its exynos source code available, we could finally get some CM love on exynos! Everybody was so thrilled that the tmo S7 was a sd820 instead of the Exynos 8890 but then found out the bootloader was locked and STILL wouldn't get CM/AOSP...so i say, heck with it, give me the better performing exynos 8890! TouchWiz has come a long way, and the MM implementation is much less laggy with much better ram management, plus you have the theme store, and you have nova launcher if you really can't stand TW, so as soon as android supports volte and wifi calling natively I'll be switching from my note 5 to an s7 edge exynos 8890 version (likely Chinese variant) with the unlocked bootloader, and all the video calling and advanced messaging goodness tmo can muster up! 

• jcap334

From what you mentioned, Android DOES already include Wifi Calling, VOLTE, as well as Visual Voicemail baked into the operating system. My girlfriend's Nexus 6P does all that stuff.

As I said in the other thread, this is the last Samsung product I will ever buy. Marshmallow was relesed in October 2015. It's almost April 2016 and still running on 5.1.1 Lollipop which was released almost a whole year ago, April 2015.

I am looking forward to the upcoming Nexus device!

I'm very interested to see specs on the next nexus device. Everything in hearing is suggesting htc has been signed for the next 3 devices...some of the other rumors are sd820 minimum chipset and 6gb ram, but you know how rumors are lol either way I'll be very interested in seeing specs on the next nexus device. The new note 6, in a exynos 8890 config will be so God awful sick it'll be hard to ignore smh even given these new shortcomings with bootloaders and long known shortcomings like being a full year+ behind the curve on android updates smh I'm not going to say anything for sure, but i will say for the first time since the note line began I'm seriously considering leaving for a nexus device. Just the 6p with a sd805 isn't cutting it for me, it's gotta be stronger than a note 4 for me to leave the note 5!

• tidbits

They are not going to jump from 3 to 6.

Nexus devices are the bar setter for the lowest hardware specs going forward. For the next 3 generations. Base will be 3GB.  As for the 820. They may use it, but I hear Nvidia may be playing nice with open source this time around.

• jcap334

The Nexus 6P may have slightly lower specs than my Note 5, however since it's not a butchered OS with endless amounts of bloat, it feels 3x as fast and smooth. 4GB of RAM on my Note 5 yet apps get unloaded from memory much faster than my gf's Nexus 6P with 3GB of RAM. Great software makes all the difference.

• tidbits

Back when the Nexus One was release Google said it was for manufacturers, and a way for developers to get their hands on devices and code for them and if coded correctly should work on every device. Consumers are trying to turn it into something more than it is not. When Google said it themselves no one listened. They it was still that but they won't stop people from buying it.

Yeah i agree! Software makes or breaks the experience! That's why the s7 folks were so happy about snapdragon in their devices cuz they wanted the option to run clean software on these beast devices, but alas, we all know that sad sad story lol oh well, i like exynos octa anyway! I'd like it better if sammy released more than just kernel source lol (cuz then cm would support lol) but sammy's 17nm process is awesome! The things they learned from the 5433 and 7740 i hope get well applied in the 8890 and make for a monster device! Plus i understand it's gonna run with an adreno530? Instead of the mali? That's sweetness too!

• tidbits

I guess you don't follow the community much. All North American S7 and S7 Edges have locked bootloaders.

That's what i said, "alas we all know that story (ie bootloaders are locked (unless you get a w8 variant and sacrifice volte and wifi calling cuz tmo uses it's own implementation of the ims system not what Google implemented in vanilla android. It could be made to work, but not without a rework of the framework (google's) to include tmo's (samsung) added functions- one of many reasons we have do many diff device variants- so unless samsung incorporates into Google's framework for android N, or someone else adjusts the framework for T variants, we won't see universal volte/wfc connectivity across networks, but we COULD- if they choose to cooperate..)) *AHEM* kinda flew off on a tangent there point is, that's why my comment was, whatever I'm cool with exynos- we've been tweeting for weeks, and even JohnLeger tweeted that his "engineers were discussing with Samsung a solution tmobile could get behind, to unlock the bootloaders- there have been returns of devices because of it- i know of a good 6 personally, who have jumped back to the note 5 after getting an s7e on preorder smh....the locked bootloaders are old news my friend- i recommend the XDA Labs app available- it gives great forum access and integrates xposed framework module functions like enabling/disabling modules, that would normally be done thru the xposed installer- anyway the labs app is real sweet, material dark design, and it's (i think) better than Tapatalk for specifically xda (of course Tapatalk supports way more forums lol)...i like it a lot and follow both the smn920t and smn920* intl as well as 935t and * sections daily- currently thinking about using the 935T's MM bootloader and modem with the stock modified kernel (ramdisk update only to set enforcing to permissive to allow boot- enforcing kernel will bootloop) from w8's (exynos 935w8) 6.0.1 implementation (since we've yet to get kernel source for t variant 6.0.1 from opensrc.samsung.com) and if i can talk a decent kernel dev into adjusting it to add in the volte support since the modem should support it, we'll have advanced messaging and native video calling- but as it stands there's no solution for guaranteeing volte or wfc- until the official firmware drop that is.....so maybe you have something to contribute? Suggestions? (That aren't "wait for official blah blah blah) you obviously have been using and helping support the tmobile network for quite a while, how can we users who don't care about samsung pay our even necessarily the warranty and are knowledgeable enough to support ourselves with what we do with our devices, do to get a fully functioning marshmallow build on our flagship devices? I'm not busting on tmo at all, they're the best out there, or even really samsung even tho they're ridiculous with their updates, I'm just willing and capable of doing their job myself on my 800 buck device so if i can build mm and make it work then that's the goal- i want to start getting into this N developer preview and building for that! The note 6 is around the corner, and bl issues or not I'd like to get a solid mm build running first because I'll be much closer to a N foundation, even tho this is a pretty big framework update, jumping from 5.1.1 to 7.0.x is an awfully big jump without having official odin tarballs to fall back on in case of a brick smh.....so what's up? This is a forum, we can't discuss stuff? Why the hostility? No reason to be defensive....let's make everything work for everybody! That's what this stuff is all about! The possibilities for what can be done with mobile devices that pack this kinda power is staggering!

• e2k

Dude, use some carriage returns!

• flashfox

If you want a "ROM-customizable" device, then get a NEXUS as this is the audience they were designed for. I see absolutely no reason whatsoever that Samsung or any other OEM would want to provide devices with unlocked boot loaders.

If you think about it, this capability is for a very limited audience (us geeks) and why should an OEM take the risk for such a small number? Granted in the "G1 days", installing a custom ROM was the only way to go as Android was still very immature. But today, I don't see the need to root and flash anymore as the phones are powerful, capable and reliable.

I can say only lately (past year or so) have i considered staying stock (i always buy my device outright and assume the responsibility if i break it) since samsung has launched its theme store and also made so many strides with TW...that with android or samsung pay has made me CONSIDER staying stock, but losing apps like Titanium Backup, that I've used for years and do such a great job is Real Bummer! Nonetheless, i agree Samsung and Tmo SHOULDN'T ship millions of devices with unlocked bootloaders, they didn't with our note 5's....if you're not a geek (lol) you don't know how to enable developer mode and then the oem unlock (this unlocks bootloader, odin won't successfully flash anything not signed with Samsung's keys without it) before rebooting to download mode and flashing anything. I saw no reason to deviate from this, as it kept things secure for those uninterested, yet allowed a solution for those who wanted to customize their device. This is all anyone asks. By all means, keep things sealed up tight with knox, bootloaders, and se for android- that keeps the masses up and running in a controlled network/environment. But they don't have to exclude those of us who wish to tinker, especially with the amount of money we're paying.