when it will be upgraded to Marshmallow?

mimmetto90

when it will be upgraded to mm?

All replies

• stevetjr

Re: when it will be upgraded to Marshmallow?

They won't give you a date nor will the manufacturer who actually does all the the programing.  That stopped years ago when the lawsuits started because dates weren't being met so you can thank the lawyers for that one.  Just watch this site when it gets to testing from manufacturer development as a general rule of thumb you can expect it usually in a couple of weeks barring an problems in testing from what I have usually seen.

https://support.t-mobile.com/community/phones-tablets-devices/software-updates#tmoSUPDocTitle

• gramps28

According to Tmonews Jan. 25 but it's not an official site.

HTC aiming to release Android 6.0 to T-Mobile One M8 on January 25 » TmoNews

• siggy_13

According to Mo Versi, the VP of Product Management at HTC, they are aiming for the 25th. He answered me on Twitter when I asked him. They've been in the development stage since at least the start of  December, so they should meet their goal.

• tmo_mike_c

Good question mimmetto90 and thanks for posting it. I suggest keeping an eye on the link that stevetjr posted. That'll be the best source for all things Marshmallow.

• rjn70

Don't believe there are any issues with the build. It was released overseas to T-Mobile UK and Germany customers. US customers late to the party as usual. Honestly not sure why by when it comes to phones US almost always gets major updates after everyone else. At this point it is completely out of HTC's hands. It's all T-Mobile. I actually was surprised that Sprint customers have had it for a while now.

• tidbits

It's call certification and manufacturers give a list of options to carriers they can buy into. When carriers buy into then delays will happen as it requires additional code and additional testing.

It's not so black and white. Manufacturers love the US because they can break a profit quicker because of these options.

• rjn70

Sorry to say HTC has said they are done with T-Mobile completely. How do you thing it went to T-Mobile customers in the UK and Germany already. And really if its because T-Mobile in the US is requiring so called further testing then my statement stands that is all in T-Mobile's hands.

• tidbits

Where exactly did HTC say this?  From a low level rep you called that will have NO IDEA exactly what happens in development or from someone from the development team or their bosses.  That makes a HUGE difference.  If you were part of evelate you'd find out what that low level rep told you is wrong, but I digress.

Look at HTC's development chart... There's more than T-Mobile testing involved compared to the Europe for example.  The train of thought you people have is the reason why they are more delays more than anything else.  Manufacturers have no pressure to come out with updates because they KNOW you'll blame the carrier for everything regardless of what even the manufacturer tells you.

HTC and Motorola hit rock bottom BECAUSE of how Europe and Asia blame the manufacturer while we blame the carrier.  Domoco for example in Japan when there are updates... They come from the manufacturer and they have their own twists and such just like T-Mobile(I lived in Japan, and developed in Japan for a few years).  Sales for Motorola, and HTC went down because of the poor support these two manufacturers had done.  They changed their policies and got better because of it, but of course no one in the states wants to try it that way because it's different.

multiple years of doing it the same way over and over and over... Same thing over and over and over...  Europe used to do it the same way we did back in the day when Android first came around and then a couple years later they changed their thinking and low and behold we are comparing how Europe gets better support... Maybe we should start doing what they are doing?  I guess that's too hard...  Manufacturers have more clout than people believe they don't have.  Manufacturers don't need carriers to sell devices.

• rjn70

Don't tell me what happens in Japan. I lived in mainland for over six years. Where anybody and their brother can manufacture a cellphone. I had a cellphone made by Kenwood. The US carriers love having control. It allows them basically to do whatever they want. I don't even believe in the updates coming from the manufacturers. That is the main reason Android has such a fractured ecosystem. Google one of these days will have to step up and own their own OS. That is who your updates should be coming from. The manufacturers and the carriers don't want it because it would cut into new phone sales. Like the idiot in t-mobile a few years back asking for a galaxy 7 phone and wondering why he couldn't get it. Google would control lifecycle, software features, etc. It would kill the carriers and manufacturers because they couldnt hold you hostage anymore. Samsung original galaxy tab. Two hundred fifty dollars for it on contract. Samsung put out one or two updates not even major updates then dropped support. Today I run Android 5.0 on my Samsung tablet. Last version from Samsung 2.3.4 or 2.3.7.

People today are so gullible and easily deceived.

I like t-mobile but their new system favors them. No contract but buy a phone at full price spread it out over two years. If you leave before then you owe not just for the phone but there are early termination fees. Don't believe me? Check your EIP. Carriers and manufacturers love having control.

• tidbits

You proved my point. Good luck with your endeavours. Nothing will change.

• rjn70

What I find amazing now is that HTC was close to if not ready to release Marshmallow for the M8 the last week of January first week of February. The way T-Mobile has dragged their feet I would be surprised if you see it before March.

I almost wonder if T-Mobile didn't do it on purpose to ensure two things. One that the update for the M9 came first. My understanding is that it is supposed to start rolling out OTA to M9's today. Consider the M9 and M8 are almost identical phones, testing should have been about the same. Which honestly speaks to me about the carrier and the M9. Everything I have seen says the M8 out performs the M9 top to bottom but how do you sell more M9's. Also secondly I am not sure what the timeline on the M10 is. Again I don't blame Mo Versi or HTC for any of this. This is one of the things that frustrates me about T-Mobile. I still hear people refer to the M8 as HTC's flagship phone.

We are back to being at the carrier's mercy which until we can get away from that broken model in North America nothing will change.

• rjn70

Hey thanks T-Mobile. Trust me when I say I am not buying a M9 or M10. I already am paying for two 500 dollars phones. They are called M-8's and I have no plans to upgrade for at least the next 3 or 4 years. So can you please approve the update already so I don't have to root my phones and install a rom. Then carriers wonder why people hate them and eventually wind up leaving. It's not your device...seriously...it's mine. I promise

• tidbits

Sprint and international versions don't have...

1.  Wifi calling

2.  Gogo messaging

3.  RCS messaging

4.  Integrated Video calling

So this requires additional developmental times as well as testing by both the manufacturer and carrier.  Here's an idea how about YOU be liable for people phones when things don't work right and have T-Mobile place all the blame on you and you handle all the tech support, replacement costs, and such if problems arises for the update.  It isn't that easy.

It isn't about T-Mobile trying to get people to upgrade to the latest and greatest.  If it was then why update the G4, G3, and other devices.  Some manufacturers are faster than others, and some are not.  Sprint seems to no longer test their updates(or do very little) and often get burned if you look at their forums.

• rjn70

Really understand but at the same time

Wifi calling - Really, most people I know turn wi-fi calling off because it works like garbage. Going all the way back to bobsled which was the first attempt. The original supposed reason was if you didn't have towers near you...you could supposedly use your phone jumping on the network. However it's never been really reliable and the voice quality is terrible.

RCS Messaging - joke....don't want it...don't need it and I bet if you asked the majority of the people out there they would tell you the same.

Gogo messaging - not even going to waste time on that one.

The only one I think there that is legit is the integrated video calling but even with that how often are you really going to use it.

I have been with T-Mobile a while and it always seems when it comes to updates they are terrible. Just like all the bloatware they put on the phone. It's my phone if I want it I'll download from the app store.

This is why people root their phones and go the custom rom route.

My M8's are the first phones I haven't. I mean honestly Google is messing up their music player...no I don't want your radio stations or for you to select workout music for me. HTC messed up the sense UI when they turned the Blinkfeed over to News Republic which I refuse to use and have essentially turned off by not subscribing to any of News Republics feed. I really don't even understand why T-Mobile TV is even still around. It's like before when you couldn't uninstall facebook. People please stop telling me what I need on my phone.

• rjn70

The only T-Mobile app that I have regularly used over the years and can say actually is valuable is their visual voicemail.

• tidbits

You are not everyone and you don't know everyone. Don't like those things then buy unlocked and unbranded going forward. Also Wi-Fi calling works for more people than it doesn't work.

• tidbits

Also that unlocked one from HTC works just fine unless you want specific T-Mobile branded features you could have purchased that one instead. That's the beauty of GSM.

• stevetjr

Wifi calling is essential if you are traveling internationally because you

can make and get calls to the US for free, frankly even before Simple

Choice. When making a WiFi calling to a compatible device I get HD voice on

it.

Gogo, love it yes I fly alot.

RCS is a nice feature and it's not just the read/deliver function it is

also length and size improvements.

Yeah the video is a nice to have and do use it once in a while.

Also it has been put out by almost all the carrier CEO's that they don't

really make any money on selling devices and after carrier specific

programing (like above items), marketing costs, inventory costs they are

usually taking a loss on them and if they didn't have to sell them as a

necessary evil they wouldn't.

• rjn70

Again all that stuff could be put in the app store. Again don't force it down my throat. And there is a bonus to the carriers selling the phones. If there was none they wouldn't do it. Like tmobile's EIP program which basically took the place of contracts and they no longer had to subsidize the cost of phones at that point.

• tidbits

Again not all of it can be put in the app store. Even Google themselves will tell you it can't. Buy unlocked if you want it the way you want it.

• tidbits

If  you want to use programs like that then don't complain about it.  Carriers could actually do away with that as they don't need to sell phones and just services.  They could actually put more into the network if they didn't have to subsidize devices for people.  Honestly people need to start buying their own devices and let carriers only deal with network instead of their network and someone elses problems, but until people do then everyone has to deal with the delays because people want to hold T-Mobile accountable.

Actually back in the 90's carriers said they didn't and the courts agreed they didn't.  That's why they agreed with the terminations fees imposed by carriers to recoup the cost, and also deemed that it needed to be diminishing returns on the ETF.

Those are security related as to why they don't make an app for it and the reason why even Google integrated WiFi calling into their base roms.  Also the reason why Android N is going to have RCS into their base code with a new messaging app. As I said it isn't that simple.

• stevetjr

They do it because it is a necessary evil because if someone comes in for service without a device they need to be able to sell them one. The CEO's have complained that they end up paying marketing costs, inventory costs for the manufacturers and they are getting all the profit on the devices. I remember a few years ago back on the iPhone 5 a researcher using available numbers figured out the wholesale to retail price difference in an iPhone 5 was like $68. While that may sound like a lot when you take into account the marketing, inventory costs and the cost of the money for free financing it for 2 years it pretty much wipes most of it out. Devices are essentially loss leaders to get you to use the carriers actual product which is service which is where they earn profit.

The EIP is zero interest so do you think Samsung or Apple just let T-Mobile or the other carriers take 2 years to pay for that device? Tying capital up in devices and loaning the money for free cost the carriers money.

To agree with what tidbits said, they cannot be just added to the app store since all of those features are and have to be embedded into the OS itself since they have access to the sandboxed portion of the OS for security reasons. Apps don't and will never have that access.

• rjn70

Well one I have never owned a subsidized phone. Don't believe in 'em. If I can't afford a phone then I really don't need it. The RCS messaging app was primarily a way to integrate and compete with other popular messaging programs. Most security experts actually have stated they have privacy concerns or rcs. If I wanted an iphone I would have bought an iphone and I prefer to keep people out of my phone not let them in. Your right T-Mobile could do away with visual voicemail, however visual voicemail isn't free for everyone. Even if they did do away with it...fine...App store. T-Mobile loves guys like you. Honesty do you two work at a T-Mobile store. Come on tell the truth don't be ashamed. And sorry most the people I know like said turn wi-fi calling off. Maybe where you live there that many people but bandwidth here is at a crawl. I have 75mbps up and down and I am on the lower end of the spectrum where I live. 75mbps isn't that much when you have about 16-20 devices on your home network. And actually apps can have access to that area if you root your phone and are smart enough to use it and know how to manage permissions. Not real difficult I could teach a monkey to do it. And while I appreciate you love GOGO. I'll use tidbits line "you're not everybody" and I'm willing to bet you are in the small minority. If the phone companies really didn't care about you having your own unlocked phones why did they fight the courts so hard against it before losing. In fact I remember when some carriers wouldn't even let you bring unlocked phones on their network and it had nothing to do with security. The carriers again get their way because the lazy a$$ FCC doesn't care to do their job and the government...HA...But let me know when you guys are working again and maybe I'll stop in the store and pick up a charger.

• tidbits

yes you have... When you signed a contract or when you do an EIP.  Someone paid it off for you and have you pay them back through some other means.  I do not work for T-Mobile and they will not pay me enough to leave Hawaii, and also quit my current job.

RCS privacy concerns?  really these same people probably used AOL, Yahoo, Hangouts, Skype, OovoO, snapchat, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and such cry about privacy?  They DO EXACTLY the same then they are contridicting themselves.  Also just like some of those apps you can turn off the "read" messages.  Some you can't even do that just food for thought.

You are actually the small minority.  Most people DO NOT care about updates, or features and they just want their phones to work.  If an update happens and it breaks their phones T-Mobile gets blamed and they have to tech support it, and replace it. 

Next time don't take the EIP, and sign a contract.  Yes EIP is a form of subsidization.  They pay for the device and you pay them back.  You have to have service in order to do it.  It's just more transparent than when they made you sign a 2 year contract and bundled it in the service to pay it back.

• stevetjr

Well I don't work for nor have I ever worked for T-Mobile. I worked for an

airline if you must know (if you notice my profile picture the view gives

it away) but a good percentage of my coworkers have switched to T-Mobile

because of Simple Choice and all the perks you dismiss are a huge benefit

to us.

Yes rooting your phone is an option but then you lose other things like

Samsung or Android Pay but assume you don't use those either.

I have been with T-Mobile since it was Voicestream and they have never had

an issue with me byop especially back in the early days when they didn't

have the best phone selections.

• rjn70

Steve I'll give you credit/ You being in the airline industry I can understand why you want those features. And yes you're correct in saying that I don't use Samsung or Android Pay. Don't trust either of them enough to use their services. I have no faith in them being able to safeguard my information. The only reason I even use paypal is because I shop online. To give you a little background on me. I am an IT guy. Senior Engineer/Architect and been in IT over 20 years. Been a developer, engineer, team lead, architect etc. I have worked for some very interesting customers that is why I am so huge on my privacy and security. When people made a big deal out of the whole NSA thing I laughed the reason being it was nothing new and most people more or less allow them to with their habits. Honestly speaking the only reason I want M is for the extended battery life and for the right to use my sd card the way I want which I used to be able to do in the first place until Google took that away at carriers and big business' behest.