How do I prevent disabled apps from being re-enabled and forcibly updated?

jamesbritt

I have an LG Stylo running Android 5.something.   Among the apps pre-installed is Exchange.  I have zero need or use or desire for this app.  I have disabled it.   I would delete it but T-mobile deigns not to grant me that privilege.

For the last few months, about every 4 weeks, I get a notification that Exchange has been updated, and I then find that the app is no longer disabled.

So, every four weeks or so I have again disable the app,  turn of the notifications, clear the data and the cache.

Why does this happen?  How do I keep this app disabled? 

Why is T-mobile forcing an unwanted software upgrade for an unwanted app, and undoing my app settings, every four weeks or so?

All replies

• smplyunprdctble

jamesbritt wrote:

I would delete it but T-mobile deigns not to grant me that privilege.

It's not T-Mobile that deigns the privilege.  It's the way Android works.  Anything on the System partition cannot be deleted.  Safety measure, really.  They don't want you deleting something that could potentially render your phone useless (I remember a number of years ago a friend of mine actually managed to uninstall the Phone app from his Palm Treo.  I don't know how he managed to get that fixed).

Every four weeks sounds like possibly when security updates are happening.  There may be something in the update that's forcing a re-enable of the app?  If that's the case, it's the manufacturer that really has to be talked to since they're the ones who create the update stuff.

• jamesbritt

Android does not come with Exchange installed, so the decision to place a non-essential program  where it cannot be removed is a business choice, not a technical matter.

• smplyunprdctble

jamesbritt wrote:

Android does not come with Exchange installed, so the decision to place a non-essential program  where it cannot be removed is a business choice, not a technical matter.

LG chose to include the app (Manufacturers want people to use their software and allow things to do as much as they can so you choose their phone).

"Exchange Accounts" IS part of the default Android system (I can add an Exchange Account as part of my Nexus 5X and I've not installed anything Exchange related -- and I AM running 6.0.1, so maybe it was included as a separate app within the Android system in 5.something?).  That said, I don't have a separate Exchange app (it's built into GMail now, I'm guessing).  Maybe GMail updates say "hey -- I need Exchange enabled to properly work, please enable it." and your phone says "You're from Google, I trust you over this person who bought the phone" and enables it?

Either way, your beef is probably with the manufacturer of the phone or your beef is with Google.  Both will probably say it's included to make your phone work properly and not give you a reason it re-enables.  Best suggestion I can give is to watch your phone's updates (app and system) and find a correlation to what updates when it gets re-enabled [even if this means disabling automatic updates on apps for a while].  Once you have that piece of information, then we can give more advice on what the culprit may be.

• Exchange can be disabled, as I have done the same on my G4, yet mine does not re-enable itself unless I use any account from Microsoft, like Hotmail/Live/MSN.  While it isn't uninstalled, the updates are removed and the app hidden.  Also make sure you do not have a Microsoft account or email added to the phone.  I know that when i tried to use Outlook for a MSN account that Exchange was auto-enabled.  I removed that MSN account and added the MSN to my Gmail for email sync.  Exchange was killing my battery at times.  Doesn't seem to be causing issues anymore.  That incident happened when using the stock email app.

• jamesbritt

While it isn't uninstalled, the updates are removed and the app hidden.While it isn't uninstalled, the updates are removed and the app hidden.

This is what I get when I disable the app.  It just doesn't stay that way.

I have no Microsoft accounts or email on the phone.    

This auto-update and forced re-enabling always comes with a message saying that there's another app that needs updating.  The message never says what that program is.  But it insists I agree to some legal disclaimers before it will proceed.   Since I have o idea what it wants to do I decline (and then go an undo the forced update and enabling of the unwanted Exchange app).

Perhaps I need to figure out how to turn off automatic updates for LG junkware.   I've yet to find that option.

• b987

Hi There,

Coming from someone about to graduate with an IT related degree. EAS (Exchange ActiveSync) aka the built in Email / stock mail app is likely what you are referring to. Here is the technical documentation from Microsoft's Website (Mobile devices: Exchange 2013 Help). I would say that 99% of the time, it is built in. It really isn't a separate entity, as it is included in the Android firmware, unless you downloaded an app? Exchange is quite useful. You may have things configured to Push messaging, which frequently polls the server to see if you have emails incoming. It can be set to check every 15, 30, 60, etc min. It shouldn't really be causing you an issue.

It is used by most companies, and actually has a lot of good security features compared to some mail applications (When configured correctly). It is certainly harmless, I wouldn't mess with it. The behavior you are describing of it asking for updates is something Ive never heard of.

A word of caution. Please be very careful before downloading an app from an App store having to do with this, unless your company (if its their phone) requests you to. There are some malicious apps that may imitate the real thing. Here's another reference for you:

Set up email on an Android phone or tablet - Office Support

Set up an Exchange account on your Android phone - TechRepublic

Good luck, and hope your battery troubles clear up.

• smplyunprdctble

b987 wrote:

Coming from someone about to graduate with an IT related degree.

As someone with an IT related degree, that statement is pointless after your first job or two

• b987

You are absolutely right. That's a dumb opening. That's what I get for trying to answer half asleep. Thanks for setting me straight. Didn't mean to come across like that.

• smplyunprdctble

No worries.

We have all kinds of backgrounds in these forums.  We don't care what each of us do.  All that matters is that the information we provide helps folks out.

But, also, remember -- your GPA and degree only really matter for up to 3-4 years after you graduate.  That was one of the things that was hardest on me to grasp until I got out in the "real world" (not to be confused with that fake show on MTV).  Now, I occasionally come across students (high school and college) that stress on every little thing and I have to tell them "Yeah -- your GPA only matters to show you can be taught.  Having a perfect high school GPA doesn't mean as much as having a really good GPA and you having your extra curricular activities.  Your major doesn't mean much after you graduate college as your ability to adapt to situations.  And, most of what you learn in school you'll probably never directly use.  But, the skills you learn on how to adapt is what separates you from the folks who are just book-smarts"

Also, welcome to the Community!

...and it's been a number of years since I graduated and I don't think I've used Algebra... that said, one of my friends from college HAS used Algebra... once since college... within the past six months, I think.  So, just because you think you'll never use it again doesn't mean you won't