5.1.1 Update for Galaxy S5

melmed

The 5.1.1 update for the Galaxy S5 has been terrible and my experience with employees in the T-mobile stores has only added to the problem.  My husband and I both have this phone and after the updates both of our phones have been left virtually unusable.  Apps take forever to open, give a white screen, or crash.  Trying to listen to music and pull up a web browser or app at the same time causes one or the other to crash.  Swype no longer works because it is so laggy.  When my mother updated her S5 it restarts every 5 minutes or won't even turn back on.  Clearing the cache and factory resets of the phone seem to not help the problem in the slightest. There is clearly a software issue with the update and the S5 and, from my experience, T-mobile employees in the stores are useless.

I brought my phone to two separate T-mobile stores and the moment I mentioned that I had an S5 that had been updated I was given a knowing look and promptly told to go look at what new phone I possibly want.  The employees didn't even look at my phone in an attempt to diagnose the problem.  One even told me "Oh, my husband is having the same problems with his S5!".  The problem seems to prevalent that they are not even trying to resolve it.  The immediate reaction is to show customers to the S6 section so that they can pick out a brand new phone.  My phone was in perfect condition before the update, I was hardly expecting to have to shell out $500 to buy a new phone for a problem I did not cause.  When I mentioned getting a new one under warranty I was told to not even bother because the problem will most likely happen again with the S5 I would get.  So I was given two options...

1. Get a refurbished S5 that I was told by multiple employees will most likely come with the same issue.  If it doesn't already have 5.1.1 installed on it I was told I can just ignore the update icon and not do it.  Really, that's a solution?  Ignore an icon that will never go away until the update is done and can accidentally be clicked on at any time?  Great option.

2. Buy a new phone that I had no intention of buying at the moment.  But don't worry.. you don't have to pay anything now!  Only $500+ over the next 24 months.  Not only that.. but pay 50% of the balance left on your phone and trade it in for $93 dollars!  If you don't want to trade it in you can have that balance left on your bill and pay double until you're done!  What a steal.

As someone who has only a couple of payments left on their S5 and intended to keep using it until it died of old age in order to not have a device payment on the bill, this whole situation is ridiculous.  The employees all told me over and over again that it's "not their issue" and even began to act as if they had never heard of the problem before even after telling me any refurbished S5 would most likely act the same way after an update.  I was treated as if my phone problem was the perfect opportunity for an upgrade and I was stuck with the consequences of buying an S5 because it's "an old phone" and may not react well to new software.  I have been with T-mobile for 10 years and have had a Samsung phone the entire time.  All of my phones I've had for 2.5 - 3 years and I've never seen a software update this bad or received so little help with an issue that I, as the customer, did not do anything to cause beyond having my phone update to what should have been the most current and tested software version.  With the lack of understanding and attempts to resolve the issue by T-mobile employees who only seemed to be excited about the prospect of me having to purchase a new phone I'm at a loss of how to work with the company in the future and am questioning if I even want to.

All replies

• theartiszan

Re: 5.1.1 Update for Galaxy S5

Troubleshooting problems after updates is never easy. I ran into something similar on a different phone after an update.

The problem might be with the software and the way it got updated. That is why they are suggesting a replacement. The warranty does cover for a replacement phone if the phone is bad but there is nothing that covers switching to a different phone.

When I had the problem, it was due to some bad information elsewhere in the phone. What I would suggest is to backup anything you want to keep from the internal memory of the phone then wipe the internal memory and remove the sd card. Then try and do a master reset of the phone. After the reset keep the sd card out of the phone for a while and do not let it reinstall the programs you previously had on the phone right away. Test it for a few days without those applications,sd card, or internal data and see how things are working. What was happening to me, was the media scanner program on the phone was finding old data that it couldn't use and hanging on it causing the phone to be very slow and all sorts of problems. If the phone is still not working correctly, the update might have gotten misapplied and a replacement phone should help. If it is working correctly you can slowly start adding things back until you find the thing that was causing this slowness.

• joetequila

Re: 5.1.1 Update for Galaxy S5

I have had the same experience, the 5.1.1 update is the most miserable phone experience I have ever had. Same resolutions, replace my 3 month old phone with a refurbished phone (aka someone else's broken then repaired phone with the same issues). Battery drain, lag, non-responsive screen, answering slider doesn't always work so calls are missed etc. Tech support says it's even worse on the S6. T-Mobile blames Samsung, Samsung doesn't care. I even decided to root (only way to go back) but there is no root available for the 5.1.1 baseband version that was released in December. I did, however, find something that has helped tremendously with the lag & unresponsive screen (but not battery drain & overheating). Some of the bloatware can be disabled - I disabled S-Voice & T-Mobile TV & things are seriously better. Only have to charge 3 times daily now, but at least I can answer the phone when it rings. Do it now!