marktrav46

So I ordered a SIM for my brother from the T-mobile site so he could activate a new unlocked phone and use the $30 plan. I have the $30 plan and did the same thing a few years ago now. The SIM came pre activated and was set to the $3 a day plan and will not let me switch it to the $30 plan since T-mobile activated the SIM already it already had a number assigned and account assigned to the card. I found this out by going to T-mobile.com/activation and typing in all the info and it said the SIM number had already been activated. So I contacted support and was told that an update had been made to the policy and now you must buy the sim card from walmart since there is a special activation code needed in order to get the $30 plan. Can anyone confirm this/have a way to fix this.

All replies

• smplyunprdctble

Re: The $30 "Wal-Mart" plan......

marktrav46 wrote:

So I ordered a SIM for my brother from the T-mobile site so he could activate a new unlocked phone and use the $30 plan. I have the $30 plan and did the same thing a few years ago now. The SIM came pre activated and was set to the $3 a day plan and will not let me switch it to the $30 plan since T-mobile activated the SIM already it already had a number assigned and account assigned to the card. I found this out by going to T-mobile.com/activation and typing in all the info and it said the SIM number had already been activated. So I contacted support and was told that an update had been made to the policy and now you must buy the sim card from walmart since there is a special activation code needed in order to get the $30 plan. Can anyone confirm this/have a way to fix this.

Simple Choice Prepaid Plans | Unlimited Talk, Text & Data $50/Mo

I no longer see the $30 option, so it must be true.

The easiest way to resolve is to go to Walmart and get the activation kit then call Customer Care and apply the Activation Code to the SIM in order to get the plan.

• marktrav46

Other Prepaid Plans | Unlimited Talk, Text & Data $30/$35/Mo |T-Mobile

it is still listed on the site, right now the walmart sim is out of stock on their website, do most stores carry them?

• smplyunprdctble

Oh.  I didn't hunt hard enough (it used to be on the main prepaid page -- they shifted it apparently).

That suggests to me that things shouldn't be activated when buying a prepaid SIM.  You may have performed some activation when purchasing it (I'm assuming you purchased the SIM through t-mobile.com and not in a T-Mobile store or somewhere else).

I've seen the T-Mobile activation kits pretty much mostly available at my local Walmarts any time I go by (I've got like 7 in a 10 mile radius).  There's a chance they may be a little light in stock with the holi-daze and people buying prepaid plans for their kids.

...I normally go shopping at Walmart today for their Christmas sales.  I can tell you it's going to be a nightmare if you go today... at least before the evening...

• tmo_mike_c

Hey marktrav46 I'm just checking in to see if you were able to get that sim card from Wal-Mart. If you do have your SIM and activation code, you can give our Customer Care team a holler by calling the number on our Contact Us page. A Customer Care rep can help further with getting this activated for you.

• marktrav46

Yeah I bought a SIM at walmart and it worked exactly like I remember. But it is still weird to me that the T-mobile SIM I bought online was already activated when I received it.

• tmo_mike_c

That's awesome it worked for you. Yeah, I know the whole pre-activated sim was a little weird but this is a change in the only purchasing experience T-Mobile has made. It started as of December 16th of last year. Newly activated Prepaid purchases made from the website come with a pre-activated sim card with the $3 Pay as you Go plan.