8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 6, 2016 10:22 PM by tidbits

Why not just tell us that we won't be getting Lollipop and be done with it?

goldbedr

Look, we get it.

You're not going to upgrade us to 5.0 even though every other carrier has done so.

Every time someone asks, the answer is "who knows!? Maybe you'll still get it! We're not developing it and your phone is 2+ years old, though, so keep that in mind..."

Why can't T-Mobile just say "We've chosen not to upgrade the S4, and if you want Lollipop or later you'll need to get a new phone?

What's the benefit of keeping us on the S4? Frankly, T-Mobile stands to make profit by selling us new phones if we decide to upgrade because we want the new software.

I guess with all of the talk about being the "uncarrier" and all that, I just expected more straight answers without all of the corporate doublespeak to try to appease people without providing any information.

• 1. Re: Why not just tell us that we won't be getting Lollipop and be done with it?
          tmo_lauren

Greetings!

We haven't given an answer only because there hasn't been a final word that the device isn't being updated. I know it isn't ideal, I promise we've asked, but as of now, it's not a no, but it's also not in development.

My personal suggestion would be if Lollipop is important to you, get a new device. Should it go into development next week, it's still going to be awhile before it makes it out.

For things like software updates, I am not sure we can ever provide the straight answers people will want. There's been a lot of burns in past where timelines were provided, or info on updates, then one thing leads to another and it gets halted, pushed back, or something of the like, then threats and dissent begin, and in turn it has caused an unwritten rule of silence until we know beyond a shadow of a doubt what's happening with an update.

I wish I could offer you more, but if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!

-Lauren

• 2. Re: Why not just tell us that we won't be getting Lollipop and be done with it?
            stevetjr

For one Samsung develops the updates not T-Mobile and Samsung very well could have said it's not worth it, you have to remember while yes every other carrier has it (which I am not sure every variant in the world does) T-Mobile devices have always required some extra work to support some of the more advanced technology such as Wi-Fi calling which require custom programing be built into the OS.

As for T-Mobile making a profit on the phones, they don't.  It has been publicly not only by T-Mobile but also by the CEO of Verizon, AT&T etal that they have long been frustrated by the fact that device manufacturers make these huge profits on the devices but they (the carriers) end up doing most of the advertising and other such expenses with little or no margin in the devices. That's one reason T-Mobile even before "Un-Carrier" was one of the most friendly BYOD carriers out there and that is why Simple Choice broke the device from the service because T-Mobiles "product" is cellular service not selling phones.

• 3. Re: Why not just tell us that we won't be getting Lollipop and be done with it?

Yes I would also like it if they hurry up and decide if the S4 will get lollipop.  Would really like to try it.  But I don't have the money for a new phone.

• 4. Re: Why not just tell us that we won't be getting Lollipop and be done with it?
                goldbedr

stevetjr wrote:

For one Samsung develops the updates not T-Mobile and Samsung very well could have said it's not worth it, you have to remember while yes every other carrier has it (which I am not sure every variant in the world does) T-Mobile devices have always required some extra work to support some of the more advanced technology such as Wi-Fi calling which require custom programing be built into the OS.

And that's fine...if Samsung has told T-Mobile "sorry, we're not going to do it", then that sucks.

But that means that T-Mobile knows that they're not getting it, and therefore we're not getting it. And all it takes is a post here saying "hey guys, sorry, but Samsung has chosen not to give us lollipop on the GS4"

• 5. Re: Why not just tell us that we won't be getting Lollipop and be done with it?
                  goldbedr

For other phones, when did you get a final word? Have you ever?

• 6. Re: Why not just tell us that we won't be getting Lollipop and be done with it?
                    tmo_lauren

We have!

Timeline does vary, however. But to answer your question, we have had devices announced as end of life on updates and we've had devices that don't have a final say. It's an agreement between manufacturer and provider and both parties have input so it's not something T-Mobile can declare singularly.

As I mentioned earlier, and this is in no way an official word, I would not anticipate the device getting an update. That's just my personal feel on the situation,and again, in no way an official word, just the opinion of someone who has been doing this awhile.

-Lauren

• 7. Re: Why not just tell us that we won't be getting Lollipop and be done with it?
                      ofankhau

Just wondering. Is there a way to use the update of another carrier... and maybe switch to that carrier? Since T-Mobile is the only one out there that has not upgraded the Samsung S4 to Lollipop, why stay with T-mobile if the update of another carrier can be installed on the phone? Did anyone try it?

• 8. Re: Why not just tell us that we won't be getting Lollipop and be done with it?
                        tidbits

Will not work with how the updates are signed. Also you would lose T-mobile specific features if you use them.