Lumia 822: what features will work?

cncb

I recently switched from Verizon where I used a Lumia 822.  It is my understanding that this is an unlocked phone that should work with T-Mobile.  Below are the specs for this phone.  Has anyone tried it with T-Mobile?  In particular, I am wondering if LTE, Visual Voice Mail. and mms texting will work.  Thanks.

Cellular connectivity

• GSM network: 850 MHz, 900 MHz, 1800 MHz, 1900 MHz
    • GSM max data speed DL: EGPRS 236.8 kbps
    • GSM max data speed UL: EGPRS 236.8 kbps
    • WCDMA network: Band 1 (2100 MHz), Band 2 (1900 MHz), Band 5 (850 MHz), Band 8 (900 MHz)
    • WCDMA max data speed DL: 21.1 Mbps (Cat 14)
    • WCDMA max data speed UL: 5.76 Mbps (Cat 6)
    • LTE FDD network: Band 13 (700MHz)
    • LTE max data speed DL: 100 Mbps (Cat 3)
    • LTE max data speed UL: 50 Mbps (Cat 3)
    • CDMA network bands: BC0, BC1
    • CDMA max data speed DL: Rev 0 /A 2.4 Mbps /3.1 Mbps
    • CDMA max data speed UL: Rev 0 /A 153.2 kbps /1.8 Mbps

All replies

• sneakymoose

Re: Lumia 822: what features will work?

You say that you've recently switched from Verizon. So, all you'll need to do now is put one of your T-Mobile SIMs into the Lumia 822 and see what is working.

In case I've understood your message incorrectly, and based on the specifications you posted, I believe you'll be able to get 4G HSPA+ except maybe in rural areas (where you'll get 2G), but you won't get 4G LTE. The specs don't list T-Mobile's LTE bands (4 and in some places 12).

Visual Voice Mail ought to work. MMS will work only if Verizon did not request that the MMS configuration settings be hidden. I have a Verizon branded HTC One M8 Windows Phone that is an unlocked phone, but doesn't support MMS on T-Mobile due to the hidden (and locked to Verizon) configuration settings.

• cncb

I don't want to mess up my current T-Mobile Android phone that I purchased when I switched.  Is anything stored on the SIM card such that this might be the case after I try it in the Lumia and put it back in the Samsung?

I don't see a T-Mobile Visual Voice Mail app in the Windows Phone Store.  Is there some other way to access it?

Thanks for the help.

• sneakymoose

No, you won't mess anything up by moving the SIM card around.

Visual Voice Mail capability is built in to the Phone app on Windows Phone. When it's disabled, it will offer an option to call voicemail. When it is enabled, you'll be able to swipe/pivot over to a voicemail section in the phone app. You might need to enable visual voice mail in the settings. You won't be able to do any of this until you've put in the T-Mobile SIM, though, because it has to query the network to negotiate capabilities.

• cncb

Where do I look to see if the MMS configuration is locked/hidden?

It's too bad about the LTE since otherwise the 822 is a nice phone.  I know it is slower but, in general, is the 4G HSPA+ coverage/reception worse than LTE?

• sneakymoose

If I recall correctly, it would be in the cellular+SIM section of the settings app.

Coverage depends on the specifics of where you're using your phone. That said, your coverage will not be as good simply because the phone isn't programmed to support as many of the T-Mobile towers as a more modern phone (recent high end phones have better radios) or a phone that was T-Mobile branded. 4G HSPA+ is OK, though. At my desk at work, it's what I'm getting instead of lte due to poor reception.