3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 21, 2016 12:18 PM by smplyunprdctble RSS

CellSpot router as media server?

drnewcomb2

Is anyone else using their CellSpot router as a media server? I've got a 3TB USB 3.0 hard drive attached to mine serving several thousand videos using the iTunes, SMB and DLNA servers. The whole thing is rather squirrely. Sometimes the router will just forget there's a hard drive attached and has to be cajoled into seeing it again.  It also seems like something in the system confuses my Roku box, which sees most, but not all, of the folders. I think I may be pushing the limits with the number of files I'm serving.

I was really just curious if anyone else was using their CellSpot router anything like this? Compare notes, maybe.

• 1. Re: CellSpot router as media server?
          tmo_mike_c

Hey just checking in to see if you found a solution or if you were able to compare notes with another user. Have you made any progress drnewcomb2?

• 2. Re: CellSpot router as media server?
            drnewcomb2

Mike, so far no one else seems to be pushing their TM-AC1900 quite as hard as I push mine. I'm running it as a print, DLNA media and SMB file server in addition to its normal routing duties. The only device that looks to the router as a DLNA server is my Roku box, which sometimes has trouble finding either the server or files on the server. However, overall it works most of the time.

• 3. Re: CellSpot router as media server?
              smplyunprdctble

I gave up with DLNA (non-router -- on my NAS, rather) and my Roku.  It was unstable and whether or not it wanted to play files was up in the air.

I moved over to Emby (http://emby.media) to host my movies locally.  It can do movies I've ripped (yes, I'm in the process of ripping my movies from BluRay), movies I've downloaded (there's a few legal downloaded movies -- like BBS: The Documentary), TV Shows, and home movies I've recorded to my phone (without Vertical Video Syndrome).  It will do ANY movie format (mp4, mkv, avi, etc).  It will get the metadata from the various internet database sources (including cover art, movie / episode descriptions, ratings, etc).  You just need a machine that can handle the transcode to Roku.

My personal setup is I have an i5 Gigabyte Brix with ESXi installed on it.  Within that I have a Virtual Machine with 2GB RAM and 2 processors running Linux and Emby.  1 processor was doing fine for ripped DVDs, but I was getting skipping for BluRays, so I threw the second processor at it.  All my movies are sitting on a NAS, which is a separate device from what Emby is running on.