LG G4 6.0 Marshmallow  update???

jamesb010

The test phase has passed the required weeks to send out. So when will the LG G4 get the 6.0 Marshmallow update.

All replies

• tidbits

Re: LG G4 6.0 Marshmallow  update???

Unlike those test there's more to it outside them. There are general acceptance with government bodies, Google, and then carrier approval(yes In Europe too). Also it isn't even released on Korea their home country which is always first for Samsung and LG.

• jamesb010

All right just  want say I know LG G4 is still in testing but this is taking way to long T-MOBILE. Just release the update already it's been 3 months in testing. Can't be that difficult to implement you software into Android.

• e2k

jamesb010 wrote:

All right just  want say I know LG G4 is still in testing but this is taking way to long T-MOBILE.

It is not even testing yet. As indicated on the Firmware Updates page, the update is in manufacturer development. Once LG finishes developing the T-Mobile specific update, T-Mobile will begin testing. As of now, the update process is completely outside of T-Mobile's hands.

• jamesb010

Wrong answer  tmobile has the software update.  They just need to update the software update  page cause there is about 4 or 5 device that already got the update. There Web developers  are just slow to update the page.

• tidbits

Link please. Something official from LG or T-Mobile it is being pushed out. Nothing from overseas.

• I have seen reports from questionable sources like the Christian Monitor, BGR, IndiaTimes, etc...and other domestic and overseas sources that rehash rumors daily, almost for clickbait reasons.  LG rumors usually start with, "G4 Now Being Updated."  ...Only to find that there was one reported blurb about 1 phone in Poland or South Korea getting some fluke update.

I remember searching for G2 update info and finding the same sources, only to read in the last line of the last paragraph that, "The LG G3/4 V10 to be updated soon, G2 unlikely."

• hog54

Sprint has released marshmallow on the 28th of december for all thier same phones.Whats taking t mobile so long?

• e2k

Whats taking t mobile so long?

Ask LG, since they develop the update. As has already been pointed out, carriers just test (and the testing has not yet begun). The update is in LG's hands.

• novawill72

Just got done chatting with Vincent from LG and they do not build the updates check out the capture of the chat convo below.

LG does not update the software.JPG

• tidbits

The low level rep will know NOTHING about what the development team does. They are not even in the same building. Get someone to say that from the front office and not some contracted call center.

• tidbits

Oh if they don't manufacture the software then why do they all use Android with their Optimus UI(which is proprietary to LG), and if you look deep into their code it says LG all over the place. You think LG is going to give rights to change their code to a variety of sources. Surprised their source code has never been leaked.

Manufacturers has always given a set of options and code accordingly to those options. Carriers buy in and buy out, and give software in advance. It's up to the manufacturer to finish what was contractually agreed to.

• stevetjr

As tidbits pointed out this is some low level consumer rep who is reading at best from a script. And while he is correct (at least partly) in that the carrier does choose some of the features and specifications like what bands the radio supports, Wi-Fi calling, GoGo inflight and etc some/all of which the manufacturer may or may not be able to provide that and the carrier specific software are all the carrier provide towards a device and the carrier software is just sent to LG, they are the ones that encode it into the OS build.

I have Alpha tested devices for LG and Sony and while the carrier (marketing and product folks) was included in the process it was the manufacturer (software/hardware engineers) that took the feedback of issues and etc and would send new builds to us to test and evaluate.

If what your rep said then why would they (LG) have a different model number for each carrier that has other than the radio has the exact same hardware in it, because the software/firmware is different.

• e2k

Give it a rest.  No rep will give you an estimated release date. They are too afraid of missing the estimate & getting sued (it has happened before). The software updates page contains all the information available for public release.

• tidbits

hog54 wrote:

Find and update the software version on your LG G4

The devices share the same name, but they not have the same software on them.  They also require different things. If you wish you can go to Sprint if they think they'll be first all the time, and don't complain on their forums if you ever have problems and bring it up with the manufacturer.  From the grapevine Sprint practically no longer test the updates.  So if it holds true then it's the manufacturers fault for not doing QA.

• jamesb010

• e2k

jamesb010 wrote:

Well looks T-Mobile got bet again this time U.S Cellular.

How much was the bet?

• stevetjr

And US Cellular doesn't have Wi-Fi calling, GoGo inflight texting or RCS (Advanced Messaging) which T-Mobile does and all require extra programing on the part of LG.

• drakenfx

You realize that LG have nothing to do with T-Mobiles own features right? all that you mention there is T-mobile side NOT LG just FYI

• stevetjr

Actually you would be incorrect, yes the T-Mobile apps are done by

T-Mobile  (or contractor) and LG just incorporates them in but the other

features like GoGo, WiFi calling, RCS have to be incorporated into the OS

and T-Mobile doesn't touch the OS period that is all done by LG, Samsung,

etc. All T-Mobile does is test/certify the build when the manufacturer

provides it to them.

• orgwizard2000

even if what you say is correct.

it's still a fair question to ask what it is they're doing to our phones that other carriers don't, that takes LG so long to get an update out.

why is it LG gave sprint and us cellular their updates before t-mobile?

• stevetjr

orgwizard2000 what they do is Wi-Fi calling, GoGo inflight texting and RCS (Advanced Messaging) just to name 3. Now yes Sprint does offer Wi-Fi calling but not all 3 which all also interact with each other. All of these features are incorporated into to the OS.  On more than one occasion not being first has been an advantage, November 2014 there was a big update for the GS5 and like this thread everyone was was complaining because T-Mobile was not "being timely", funny thing was Verizon and Sprint were first and the update actually started bricking phones which then caused AT&T which had also just released it to pull the update.  After Samsung fixed the update because T-Mobile was last ended up being first with the "correct" update.

jamesb010 the update that T-Mobile gets is different than the one that Sprint gets, while yes the core "Marshmallow" for the device is the same as mentioned by others and myself in this thread there are other features that different carriers have with T-Mobile being on that pushes technology advances that have to be incorporated into the OS.  Now one that keeps being rumored especially since all the other carriers are planning on adopting wi-fi calling that Google will incorporate that into AOSP version of the OS so it won't require the OS customization that it currently does. While there is no proof since Sprint really started sinking they also seem to be the first to launch updates and it is believed they essentially take the manufacturers word that the build works on the network and doesn't really do any testing before just putting it out there just so they can be first at something.

• orgwizard2000

I don't use wifi calling cause it's never over years proven to be all that reliable and nor the gogo thing. not sure what rcs is or if I use that, so can't speak to it.

but I'd gladly take google's latest features and security updates over any of those things.

and as someone that waited for udpates to my vibrant and an htc phone only to receive updates that still had plenty of bugs that were then never fixed, I think this is a good  uncarrier issue. smartphones have become complex computing devices and big security threat avenues, so companies need to take this stuff more seriously.

as much as I dislike icrap, I envy them for keeping the carriers out of the mix for the most part, and ensuring their users devices are for the most part secure and stable.

given these things cost more than many windows desktops and laptops these days, we need to get much better testing and support, not this russian roulette of if or when a phone gets updated.

if t-mobile wants to get people to use their apps/services on their phones, they need to make them desirable. and something that can be installed or removed on demand.

they might also want to actually involve some tech folks to help test early builds and actually provide more insight into what's going on during the evaluation process. their update status website is a useless joke.

• tidbits

Based on you and not other people. There are a lot of things involved and it isn't so simple. There's a lot of thing behind the scenes that carriers get flack for and I bet if the NDA wasn't involved people would see some of the deals, and probably find out some things.

• e2k

orgwizard2000 - Those are all legitimate concerns. Moreover, if you want those things, I suggest putting pressure on the manufacturer. That's what people do in Europe, and they have much better firmware support. Here in the USA, people blame the carrier. Meanwhile, the manufacturers charge the carriers for each device variant they develop an update for. Sometimes a carrier is willing to pay for an update, but the manufacturer stops development on the model in question in order to focus on newer models. Customers sometimes get mad at the carriers, decide to switch to another carrier, and often buy a new device in the process. Manufacturers love this, and laugh all the way to the bank.

By and large, carriers do not make money by selling devices. The small markup they earn is vitiated by the extensive device marketing and support they must provide. Until customers start demanding better support from the manufacturers, the status quo is likely to continue.

I agree that smartphones are incredibly expensive, and for the price we pay, we should get better support. Apple makes it look like all their models use the same firmware, but it's not really true. The different iOS devices require different versions (for lack of a better word) of iOS. When Apple releases a new version, they do so for all models simultaneously. Thus, when iOS 9.x gets released, it seems like it's one version, when it is really several different versions (e.g., iPhone 5s, 6, 6s, etc.).

If you want the latest and (supposedly) greatest version of Android ASAP, you might seriously consider getting a Nexus, as it does not require tweaking by the individual manufacturers and further customization for the different variants (i.e., carrier brands) of each model.

• orgwizard2000

I've been down the nexus route with a 4 or a 5. frankly was a bit disappoitning. hardware was decent, but the google seemed to have their stulmbles with releases that had more bugs than I expected and early on seemed to take longer than i'd thought it would to fix them.

but they did fix them, unlike my previous t-mo branded phones.

I took a chance on the g4 since the nexus phone at the time wasn't my thing, and I was in need of an upgrade cause of issues with other phone. LG seemed to do well with teh G3 and getting updates out in a timely fashion, and with their aggressive push to europe last year with marshmallow, I had hope.

but now it's february, despite google releasing monthly security updates, my g4 hasn't seen squat for security updates since last september.

and still no word from t-mo on anything.

I know what folks are saying, it's normal, it's not t-mo's fault, etc. but LG managed to get the update to the international phones and to spring and us cell. so obvisouly the ATT, t-mo and VZ variants have somethign craptastic about them that's taking longer for the updates to come out.

I could kind of see the delays if they were transparent and told us what was going on, or that we'll be gettiing 6.01 instead which I doubt...since we saw no 5.1.1 love.

So fine, they're no better than the top two, but the other two providers beat them to the punch on this update.

but this is a pain point, and seems to be an ongoing one where t-mo lags behind others, as was the case with them abandoning my friends s4, when the others didn't.

so feb 2016...I reiterate, #uncarriermyass

• tidbits

International version all on LG. LG doesn't have carriers to hide behind. HTC and Motorola found out the hard way.

Carrier versions worldwide LG makes bank on the options to lower their bottom line on each device. There are things for example the T-Mobile version are contractually obligated by LG to have. T-Mobile doesn't modify the software like people make it out they do.

Wi-Fi calling

Advanced messaging(hopefully this update)

Go-Go in-flight

Carrier security stuff

And of course the "carrier" bloatware

If LG takes their time then we'll the delay is longer. They know you'll blame the carrier moreso than them so they don't mind taking their time.

• stevetjr

If you look back at all the Android update over the years you will see who is first and who is last tends to change within each manufacturer. Yes international variants tend to be first but it is one device usually without all the stuff the US carriers load in them. Last year when Sprint was accelerating their way to the bottom they started getting releases out quickly versus the other carriers and most believe it is because they needed to be first (or better yet not last) at something so it is a lot of folks opinion they just take it as is with virtually no testing and release it. US Cellular might as well be like the international variant because they have no special “features” built into the device.

Now T-Mobile especially but Verizon and AT&T more and more have started adding features that require more programing to the OS itself like Wi-Fi calling, VoLTE, GoGo inflight texting and RCS (Advanced Messaging) and while T-Mobile has them all the others have started adding pieces like Verizon does VoLTE but AT&T doesn’t yet but AT&T apparently has started adding Wi-Fi calling to devices even though I don’t think they have turned it on yet. While each of these is a separate feature they all to some extent interact with the other pieces like Wi-Fi calling since it acts as the radio when on and all SMS, MMS and calls go through it.  So it is not like LG, Samsung etal just write the feature and then stick the pieces in the OS the hooks are all different depending on the combination of features.  One can assume that if you are manufacturer you are going to go after the low hanging fruit first then deal with the other stuff.

Add to that and T-Mobile will never tell you nor will the manufacturer but if T-Mobile found and issue and had to send it back to be fixed you will never hear about it so if Sprint truly is just signing off on whatever they get or pretty close to that there could be a gap.

The hope is and especially with Wi-Fi calling in particular since all the carriers are moving that way and hints from Google that it will eventually be added as a native feature of AOSP Android so some of the “special” programing will go away.

Those of us with Samsung are in the same boat, the GS6e+ and Note5 which came out well after the G4 are still on Lollipop and then last year was leaked they would get it before the end of the year, then January and now it is February and other than the international variant and just the other day the Korean variant no Samsung products have it either so once can assume that MM has been a lot tougher to integrate into the various manufactures own devices since there seems to have been multiple delays for the Samsungs.

But in the end it comes down to the manufacturers since they do all the programing, the carriers really only deal with the testing. 

• jarome

And now there is 6.01 out. And there are a bunch of security holes to get fixed. Blaming it all on LG is not a good response. T-Mobile has the power to make them speed up the process. I seem to recall a T-Mobile promise that updates would occur within 3 months of release of a new Android.

• e2k

You recall incorrectly. T-Mobile would not have made such a claim. They know better, as carriers have been sued in the past for not meeting the estimated date for an update. That's why they just keep quiet about it nowadays.

• stevetjr

You may see it that way but a lot of folks do use them and they are

reliable for myself. Whenever I am out of the country the WiFi calling

saves me a fortune and considering pretty much every US carrier has gogo

it's a great feature to most. RCS is the new Richmond Communication Service

(aka advanced messaging) which the G4 hasn't gotten yet but know TMO is

rolling it out.

TMO has been releasing the monthly security updates. If updates are that

important you should get a Nexus device, The US G4 update just came out

Sprint, non of the Samsung devices have it for any carrier, it's just the

way it is with branded phones and especially in the US  other than recently

with Sprint which carrier had the update first has been a lottery and

changed with each release. The manufacturers do the work and release it to

the carriers at their discretion not the carriers.

As for iPhone that can also be a curse just ask all the folks traveling

internationally that after the IOS 9 update now in some countries can't use

there their free international roaming because Apple decided to remove the

ability of users to edit the APN which for countries that don't support

IPv6 now their expensive iPhones are useless just because Apple decided

they knew best. That's the risk, they make changes as they see fit.

• e2k

I live in a very well covered area, and very rarely use wifi calling. Nonetheless, still think wifi calling is an indispensable feature that I would not go without. Sans the lack of wifi calling, I would flash a custom ROM on my old trusty S3, and enjoy the latest version of Android. Instead, I use the TMO stock ROM only because it has wifi calling. You never know when you might need it (e.g., inside a building with a lot of metal, a down cell site, in a poorly covered area that you don't normally go into), and it works well for me on the rare occasions in which it is necessary.

• orgwizard2000

agree with others frustration. they're either not maintaining their update info site, or they're way behind if the page is correct and they're not even testing it yet.

coming from two Nexus devices, this is disappointing. and just more frustrating now that you see sprint, and us cellular (which I guess is usually slow to update their phones) beating T-Mo.

all we need now is VZ to update theirs, and that would be the perfect slap in the face from T-Mo.

Sorry, but for all the about uncarrier hype, one of my biggest pain points still remains that t-mo monkeys with the phones too much and doesn't support their devices like other carries. having them abandon my original samsung vibrant when other carries updated theirs, this continues to be a bad trend for them. this same thing just happened to a friend with an S4, where other carriers are updating theirs, while t-mo gave the finger to all their s4 owners.

this I think is a big pain point for me and others, and should be an important uncarrier thing to fix...otherwise #uncarrierMyAss

• Some 1.66GB update just came through my LG Bridge app on Windows 10.  Have to wait a bit to see what it actually was.  LG Bridge/AirDrive was running in the BG and I saw a notice, which I thought was the app telling me the phone disconnected for being idle, but then it began a DL.  The phone gave no indication, and while the update is downloading, I checked manually on the G4 for the update in the Update Center.  Nothing was found, saying I was up to date.

• Update (IDK what) downloaded, phone went through firmware install.  But, no changes were seen and the Bridge said there were 2 other updates.  Drivers then prompted to re-install.  Then Bridge began to RE_DL the update.  Will check again later.  I cannot say what my version was previous, may be unchanged, maybe a fluke.  IDK. 

At present:

Screenshot_2016-01-13-11-24-44.png

• Upon further review, I think the Bridge somehow performed an update recovery for some reason when connected via USB.  This time after saying up to date, I was told that software updates downloaded and installed to provide enhancements.  I think I'll believe it when I see an auto-notification or I manually check for an update via T-Mobile/LG G4 rather than LG's PC Suite.

• jamesb010

Just wanna say Tmobile I am enjoying everything from your network to customer service. But one thing your company lacks is keeping up with Android Software updates to the LG G4. Your way behind on this area. It would be nice to see T-Mobile improve in this area. I am very disappointed that these Software updates take 4 month to get from manufacturers  and take months later just send to device's. What is even worse is Sprint and sent this update to there LG G4 already and to thereduce other LG smartphone.

• wakkowarner

We will probably be waiting for a while.  The carriers really don't care about the customers.  My Sony Xperia Z is stuck on Android 4.3, because T-Mobile refuses to update it further.  I bought a new phone (G4), because I was tired of waiting on them.  The international version of the Xperia Z is currently running Android 5.1.  T-Mobile should have updated the Xperia Z (Android 4.3 has several bugs in it that are annoying).

So, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the update.  John Leger talks a lot of smack, but this company just doesn't care about the customers - they only care about money.

• wakkowarner

That should have been John 'Legere'.

• tidbits

Overseas they believe the manufacturer should update their devices and hold them accountable. Manufacturers make deals about updates and charge for additional support here in the states. That's on the manufacturer if they do it like that instead of making it inclusive. Since everyone wants to blame carriers manufacturers van hide behind it without actually showing they've done any progress or even have a finished product to push out within the contracted agreement.

It isn't so black and white and because people keep blaming the carriers updates are never going to be timely like the rest of the world. I mean early on updates were on the same pace. Europe went the other way and we went blame the carriers. Look who gets more support. Some food for thought.

• esjames30

Not too much longer, check for updates. Looks like XDA beat tmobile to the punch lol.

• larry91

How is the 6.0 update treating everybody?

I honestly don't like it very much at all. Many of my apps that I had installed on 5.1 now have sluggish performance on this 6.0 update (Gmail, Quickpic, Dolphin browser, etc.). Some games seem to be throttling a lot as well with constant dropped frames.

By the way, I have done 2 factory resets (one through the settings menu and one through the "recovery").

• stlkutie

I'm sorry you are having so much trouble. Mine is running smoothly. I have

no issues whatsoever. My husband got his OTA and his is fine too. He didn't

even have to do the reset to factory like I did initially. Hopefully yours

will get better.

• larry91

I see.

After doing the second reset, Google Chrome and the Textra SMS app ran much better. I'm tempted to do a third reset out of curiosity.

Just to be sure that yours and your husband's is running smoothly; open the Gmail app, drag your finger all the way up and down several times for like 10-15 seconds straight in your inbox and see if the scrolling goes from smooth to "wobbly." It's almost as if the graphics processor got messed up!

I know it sounds nuts, but I've been having this same problem on several apps (not all though). I just need to be sure that my issue is isolated.