3g data counts as 4g lte data cap?

626-620-2123

My phone doesn't have the 4G band in it, so it only gets 3G data. Why does my 3g usage count towards my 4g data cap?

All replies

• tmo_lauren

Re: 3g data counts as 4g lte data cap?

Greetings!

3G will indeed count towards your high speed cap!

-Lauren

• stevetjr

Re: 3g data counts as 4g lte data cap?

It isn't really technically 4G data cap but rather it is referred to as High Speed Data which is anything other than 2G. Before T-Mobile had LTE their 4G was HSPA+42 which in some cases could was faster than Verizon's and others LTE. HSPA+42 is sort of 3.5G as HSPA (non +) was 3G technology but T-Mobile and AT&T marketed it as 4G and eventually the governing body gave in and allowed it to be called 4G with LTE being called 4G LTE. T-Mobile's HSPA+42 network is the only HSPA/HSPA+ they have so they don't really have a "3G" network as their HSPA+42 network can essentially step down to the limit of your device even drop out of HSPA+ to straight HSPA if necessary. With that though it has been shown that even an straight 3G (HSPA) device will usually get better data speeds on their network than on a true 3G only network. So T-Mobile only has 3 real networks, 2G, 4G and 4G LTE with the 4G network being backward compatible to 3G devices.