I have the unlimited 4G and 7GB of Hotspot, I was under the impression that binge on would not affect my hotspot data when i stream from Netflix yet it has and my hotspot data has been restricted to the point i cant stream anything. I've done a little looking around and other customers are having the same issue but there doesn't seem to be an answer for most of them.

All replies

• smplyunprdctble

Re: Binge on And mobile hotspot/tethering?

Binge only counts for streaming on your phone, not through hotspot (e.g. other devices).

• I have the same plan and signed up for Binge On more than a month ago and it was an option under plans and services at that time .I have received several texts telling me I was going to get it starting December 9th.Waited until the 10th and still no Binge On so I called customer service and was told that the 7GB hotspot tethering plan is"grandfathered" and no longer offered and I would have to switch to the 10GB $80 total plan in order to get Binge On service.And yet I still continue to get texts telling me I have Binge On.T Mobile I am warning you,I have every text you sent and a screen shot of every offer you made me and what you have exposed yourself to is called a bait and switch lawsuit.My advice to you is to honor your commitment and do the right thing ,otherwise I will be filing a class action lawsuit against your company for the aforementioned cause.

• wingedkinetics

Wow. Just wow. A class-action lawsuit? Really?

No lawyer would ever touch that with a ten-foot pole. At worst, this is a simple "oops" that you received the texts, as you didn't actually sign up for a service based on the advertised benefit. At best, there's a logical explanation for this that you're conveniently leaving out (like they said that you'll be eligible as opposed to enrolled, etc...)

It's neat that people just think that they can say "sue" and that anyone will just bend over backwards to avoid that, but let's face facts; you're not going to sue anyone.

You want to keep your old plan? Do it. You want a gigantic pile of free data in the form of all the video content you could possibly stream? It's waiting for you if you want it. No one's forcing you to do anything, and no one has lied to you. Calm down.

• I find this to be true as well. It's a shame—actually it's more than a shame—that T-Mobile hides this information. It's also distressing that the company consistently treats Wi-Fi-only devices like the iPad and the Samsung Galaxy tabs as second-class citizens to those with cellular capability.

I've spent an hour this afternoon on the web and in the T-Mobile app looking for an answer to whether or not Binge On works with my Wi-Fi-only tablet.

Thanks, smplyunprdctble, for confirming what I suspected but could not find without coming to a user forum.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not knocking forums, I'm simply emphasizing that telcoms should make their policies and services clear, easy to understand, and easy to access.

• chrisl554

This is what T-Mo's site says specifically about binge on and tethered devices: "Tethering means sharing the 4G LTE mobile internet connection from your smartphone, tablet, or mobile internet device with another device, like a laptop or tablet. Streaming video from included Binge On participants never touches your high-speed data allotment if you're tethering from a smartphone, tablet, or mobile internet device to a laptop, desktop, tablet, or handset. Other devices aren't currently supported."

So, it looks like you should be able to tether to your tablet, or whatever, and stream unlimited video content from the Binge On partners; however, my personal experience has been that since I hit my 7GB tethered limit with my unlimited plan that I can't stream ANYTHING to my iPad from any of the Binge On partners. Which is more than a little frustrating to say the least.

More info: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-24291#subhead4

• barcodeable

Despite what others have said... BingeOn indeed works If you use mobile tethering from your phone to a Wifi Tablet.

I hope this information is helpful

Binge On while tethering

Tethering means sharing the 4G LTE mobile internet connection from your smartphone, tablet, or mobile internet device with another device, like a laptop or tablet. Streaming video from included Binge On participants never touches your high-speed data allotment if you're tethering from a smartphone, tablet, or mobile internet device to a laptop, desktop, tablet, or handset. Other devices aren't currently supported.

Binge On

• smplyunprdctble

barcodeable wrote:

Despite what others have said... BingeOn indeed works If you use mobile tethering from your phone to a Wifi Tablet.

I hope this information is helpful

Binge On while tethering

Tethering means sharing the 4G LTE mobile internet connection from your smartphone, tablet, or mobile internet device with another device, like a laptop or tablet. Streaming video from included Binge On participants never touches your high-speed data allotment if you're tethering from a smartphone, tablet, or mobile internet device to a laptop, desktop, tablet, or handset. Other devices aren't currently supported.

Binge On

...provided the tethered device is pulling the video at 480p or less.  If the tethered device pulls at a higher quality, Binge On will not register.

• theartiszan

Also what are you streaming and at what quality?

• leotopol

Actually, on the page where you activate Binge On, is SPECIFICALLY states FREE TETHERED VIDEO on popular sites.

Check out this screenshot from "My T-Mobile Account" on my phone.Bing On.png

• barcodeable

Someone posted this link concerning Binge on Tethering.

But i believe the same as all companies, they reserve the right to change and/or cancel the features/services offered by their company. It's always written in the fine print. As soon as I find the other link where it says you are not eligible to Binge On with any other device besides a smart phone, and tethering counts against your data. I will post it up online. As you can see, T-mobile is changing the Binge On criteria as time passes.

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-24291#subhead4

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Binge On while tethering

• barcodeable

http://www.t-mobile.com/offer/free-music-streaming.html

Does Music Freedom apply to music streamed on tethered devices or through a hotspot?

Music Freedom provides unlimited music streaming on your device while on our network. Streaming music via a Smartphone Mobile Hotspot (tethering) will count against your 4G LTE data and is not covered by this offer.

http://www.t-mobile.com/offer/binge-on-streaming-video.html

Does Binge On apply to video streamed while tethering from a smartphone, tablet, or mobile internet device?

Yes, if you are streaming video from one of our Binge On providers while tethering from a smartphone, tablet, or mobile internet device to a laptop, desktop, tablet, or handset you will enjoy all the great benefits of Binge On.

• barcodeable

And I was also informed by a Tmobile rep via phone call that I can tether from my phone to a tablet, computer, or other phone device using binge on without affecting my data....

What is the truth?

Please someone explain the facts plainly

Thank You

• bogart000

LTE On Netflix with Chromecast Ultra

Soooooo, just signed up for mobile hotspot, Carefully discussed with sales people the inclusion of BingOn coverage.  Checked to make sure my account on the hotspot includes the BingOn data.  Initially used a Chromecast Ultra to deliver the content to my dumb tv.  Picture was outstanding but the next day it was apparent it had be applied against my data cap not covered under BingOn.  Talked to tech support, as they explained it smart tvs (Chromecast makes my dumb TV into a smart tv I guess) drive the connection over the BingOn 480 limit and are thus applied to the LTE data cap.

2G Connection

Subsequently tired a 2g connection.  The resulting data rate was so slow it rendered the connection pretty much unusable.  I tried Netflixs on my tethered laptop; after a rather long time, enough of the movie was downloaded so it could start.  The resulting video was as bad as anything I have seen since the very old cd video (not dvd)  days.  None of my Google Home or Chromcast devices were able to connect to the hotspot, and without a good internet connection do not appear able to function at all.

LTE Off

Then tried the LTE Off setting.  Speedtest.net told me I was hitting speeds above 20mb down and 1mb up.  I then tried casting pandora for an hour or two and checked my data usage.  Once more the data was applied to my LTE cap it charged me more than half a gig of usage for an hour or two of music from Pandora.

Currently, watching Netflix on a laptop with an HDMI connection to the dumb TV. Google Home and Chromecast have been disconnected/powered off.  The video quality looks about right for DVD/480 res.  I will run that for a few hours and check to see if it is added to the LTE cap.  The TV is the same one used for the Chomecast test so the difference in resolution results from the laptop/chrome browser connection.  This is a promising indication the hotspot was able to manage the resolution to the BingOn limit. 

If I find this lower resolution usage was not properly handled by BingOn I will up date this with the results.

• willymac

You don't need to wait any longer than 5 minutes to test for BingOn. Just put #932# on speed dial, call #932#, take a screenshot, run your test for 5 minutes or so, call #932#, take another screenshot, then compare the "used from your unlimited plan" to your used "on-network data" between the 2 screenshots. If BingOn is cooperating then "used from your unlimited plan" should stay the same and your used "on-network data" should go up.

Using a Roku1, plugged into a dumb TV, channels with BingOn working as of 04/10/17:

Netflix, YouTube, PBS & PBS Kids, TubiTV - Yes

AmazonVideo - Yes but you need to check each time you connect. Proper detection of video stream is hit or miss. Just restart channel until it is detected properly. I've never had a video, once detected properly, have a BingOn failure after it was started but I still check every so often as it is running.

Crackle - NO! Not on any device. Even though tmobile continues to carry Crackle on the list of participants I contacted them on 06/09/2016 and received the following reply: "Thank you for contacting Crackle.Crackle is no longer a partner with T-Mobile.We apologize for the inconvenience.Thank you,Crackle Support Team"

CuriosityStream - No. Was working up until about 3-4 months ago, now BingOn doesn't work on any device.

Using iPad, apps with BingOn support:

DishAnywhere, Netflix, PBS, YouTube, TubiTV, Amazon Video, Amazon Music - Yes

• barcodeable

CRACKLE NOLONGER A BINGE-ON PARTNER... HMMM, T-MOBILE boast about No company ever leaving the binge-on program. Im sure they will quietly remove Crackle from the list, and remove the line that nobody has ever left...lol that would be negative publicity.

• sethowens9698

Here's what I do with Chromecast: Setup to connect to your phone's hotspot (requires 2 devices), go to google home, options, cast screen/audio. Shares screen with TV while not actually using the casting option in the videos. Start Netflix app when phone pops onto TV and play a video at whatever resolution you want. Uses mobile data instead of hotspot data because it's still actually streaming on your phone. So leave your phone screen on. While playing the video the screen timeout won't take effect until the video stops playing (at least for netflix, haven't tested with other apps/video services).

• artart

sethowens9698 wrote:

Here's what I do with Chromecast: Setup to connect to your phone's hotspot (requires 2 devices), go to google home, options, cast screen/audio. Shares screen with TV while not actually using the casting option in the videos. Start Netflix app when phone pops onto TV and play a video at whatever resolution you want. Uses mobile data instead of hotspot data because it's still actually streaming on your phone. So leave your phone screen on. While playing the video the screen timeout won't take effect until the video stops playing (at least for netflix, haven't tested with other apps/video services).

Hi sethowens9698

Which phone are you using?

When using a Galaxy s6, I have found that turning on wifi disables T-Mobile data. The 4G lte icon disappears and is replaced by the wifi icon.

Casting anything (via wireless) from my handset to the TV requires the Wifi to be turned on thus disabling T-Mo data streaming completely.

The only way I have been able to screen cast from a handset and not disable 4G lte reception, is to use a Gallaxy S4 with a (HDMI) MHL hard wired connection. Of course that setup doesn't use Chromecast at all.

Since Chromecast uses a Wifi connection, I don't see how the 4G lte data connection can still stay connected simultaniously, at least on the Galaxy S6.

In order to get Chromecast to work wirelessly on the S6, It uses the hand set wireless connection to innitiate a wireless connection to my landline wireless router. The data then streams from my router through the handset to the TV. Of course no T-Mo data is being used.

The problem I have is that I can't have wireless and 4G lte data turned on simultaniously using the S6.

Can you confirm that you are able to turn on Wifi and still receive 4G data simultaniously on your handset?

Art 

• artart

artart wrote:

The data then streams from my router through the handset to the TV.

Art 

EDITED to correct my statement above.

In order to get Chromecast to work wirelessly on the S6, It uses the hand set wireless connection to initiate a wireless connection to my landline wireless router. The data then streams from my router directly to the Chromecast receiver atached to the TV. I can even turn the phone off and the video still continus to play on the TV. No T-Mo data is being used at all. The phone only functions as a remote control to select what video stream I want to watch.

Art

• sethowens9698

My problem is I have no home internet thus no separate wifi to connect to. It took a bit to figure this out but you need 2 devices (my phone and tablet worked fine). So I wanted to use my phone to cast and the chromecast needs constant internet connection right? So I downloaded the google home app on both devices and turned my phones mobile hotspot on. Then go to tablet (or other phone) and turn on wifi. Go to google home app on that device and setup chromecast to connect to main phone's mobile hotspot. Once it connects you're done. With the phone's hotspot on, the 4g lte data is still going, and because the hotspot uses the wifi antenna to broadcast, you can still cast to the Chromecast with the same device that is the main source of internet for said Chromecast. But like I said, if you cast from the video screen that's playing, it plays through you're Chromecast, which is downloading through your hotspot. Thefefore, turn on hotspot, wait for Chromecast to connect, go to home app, options, screen share, play netflix app, and it's streaming through you're mobile data not hotspot. (also, even with screen share on notifications don't show while playing videos through netflix in full screen).

Btw, LG G5. Yes, wifi and mobile data can be active (technically) at the same time but only if you change settings to allow it to be so if wifi has no internet connection. But wifi can still be connected to a source and have mobile data active, only if the wifi source internet drops.

• artart

sethowens9698

Thanks for the detailed step by step tutorial.

I know that my Galaxy S7 is supposed to have the ability to use Wifi and Mobil Data simultaniously. I hadn't  thought of temporarily disconnecting my handset from my Wifi router so that a Wifi conection would be maintained directly between my handset and Chromecast.

For the record I am primarily interested in streaming You Tube video. I currently have a cable data connection and use a T-Mobile provided router so I use almost no T-Mobile Data. At my other home, I don't choose to have a cable connection. Your info definitely is going to come in handy there.

Art

• sethowens9698

artart

Glad I could help. I've streamed youtube this way seems to work fine for me.

Hope everyone else can use this info.

• willymac

You can also do the same thing by using a cheap wifi router. Connect the router to your phone hotspot, connect ChromeCast to the router, then connect any kind or number of devices to the router to access Chromecast. You can use a PC, laptop, tablet or any other device,

You can even use an old cell phone without an active subscription, as long as it has wifi capabilities. Turn wifi on the old phone, connect to the router and you're good to go. If you need to install the Google Home app or anything else just cruise on over to the app store.

However, if I were you I would go with the Roku and install the YouTube channel (and others). Roku advantages:

1) Can be used for a lot more streaming channels than just YouTube and that have BingOn support. Many are free.

2) Can safely be left connected all the time, ready to go. Doesn't drain your bandwidth when you are not looking like I have had the sad experience of ChromeCast knocking out a couple hundred meg doing who knows what when I wasn't even using it. I never leave ChromeCast even powered on when I am not using it for this reason. My Roku is on and connected all the time and maybe uses 10-20 meg on housekeeping on some days, which is fine by me.

3) The Roku 1 has line out so you can run the output to a recorder if you want.

4) You can install the YouTube app on a tablet or smartphone where it is easier to search, set up saved lists, and autoplaying queues. Then simply click the Cast button on the app and connect directly to the Roku. Once the video is started you can pause, skip around the video, or change videos using the tablet to control everything. You don't even need to touch the Roku remote, which is clunky for YouTube anyway. You can even turn off the tablet entirely and the video will just keep playing through the Roku without missing a beat.

• sethowens9698

Yep, that works too. The way I did my router is tether to computer then use internet sharing to power up the router.

But that method requires two devices: one for internet and one for casting. I prefer my method just because I can provide internet and cast from just my phone.

Haven't tried Roku before but thanks for the info, I may give it a shot at some point.

• artart

willymac wrote:

You can also do the same thing by using a cheap wifi router. Connect the router to your phone hotspot, connect ChromeCast to the router, then connect any kind or number of devices to the router to access Chromecast. You can use a PC, laptop, tablet or any other device,

You can even use an old cell phone without an active subscription, as long as it has wifi capabilities. Turn wifi on the old phone, connect to the router and you're good to go. If you need to install the Google Home app or anything else just cruise on over to the app store.

However, if I were you I would go with the Roku and install the YouTube channel (and others). Roku advantages:

1) Can be used for a lot more streaming channels than just YouTube and that have BingOn support. Many are free.

2) Can safely be left connected all the time, ready to go. Doesn't drain your bandwidth when you are not looking like I have had the sad experience of ChromeCast knocking out a couple hundred meg doing who knows what when I wasn't even using it. I never leave ChromeCast even powered on when I am not using it for this reason. My Roku is on and connected all the time and maybe uses 10-20 meg on housekeeping on some days, which is fine by me.

3) The Roku 1 has line out so you can run the output to a recorder if you want.

4) You can install the YouTube app on a tablet or smartphone where it is easier to search, set up saved lists, and autoplaying queues. Then simply click the Cast button on the app and connect directly to the Roku. Once the video is started you can pause, skip around the video, or change videos using the tablet to control everything. You don't even need to touch the Roku remote, which is clunky for YouTube anyway. You can even turn off the tablet entirely and the video will just keep playing through the Roku without missing a beat.

Thanks willymac for the additional info.

Art

• padackles

When the binge on thing started I spoke with a rep at Tmobile to see is Spotify was covered under it. I was told it was but I don't think it is anymore. Last week I used Spotify on a roadtrip I went on. Today I got a text saying I am over my data and the only thing I can think of that I used differently is Spotify. Luckily I have A LOT of data in my data stash bucket but still why do they add/remove things from the binge on list and not let anyone know? Or have an easily accessible list of everything that the binge on works for.