jzheng1126

My LG G4 has recently become stuck in a boot loop and become unusable. This seems to be a very common from all the info I've been seeing, and the cause is apparently a defective motherboard. I got this phone in July, is there anything T-Mobile can do to fix this issue?? My warranty is probably voided since the phone has suffered physical damage, but I just need the phone fixed; it's useless right now. If this is a common problem that's the manufacturer's fault, what options do I have? I'm still paying off this phone. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

All replies

• jzheng1126

Re: LG G4 Boot Loop problem

Also, confusingly enough, it seems my family is under the JUMP! plan, but my device is not under the Premium Handset Protection.

• miclflores

I believe this is a bigger problem than LG want to admit.  I also have a crack in my screen but this issue is clearly happening to people without any physical damage.  There is obviously something wrong with something else, either the flash memory or motherboard from what I've been reading. 

We need to make sure we contact both LG and T-mobile about this issue so they can recall it or whatever it is they do.  If my car has a dented door but there is a recall on the axle or brakes, they don't care about the dent, they just fix the recall issue.  It isn't right that they get out of their error over something like a cracked screen when people all over the world use cracked screens daily with no issues.

PLEASE CONTACT BOTH LG & T-MOBILE ABOUT THIS! THANKS AND SORRY FOR YELLING!

• hirammrom

Had the same issue on two phones in a span of 30 days. Still waiting on my manuf. replacement but I just wanted to point out that I've successfully managed to get the phone to boot 3x today after going into the reboot loop.

After going into the loop I plugged it in and left it charging for a while. It continues on the boot loop until it charges completely, at that point it boots with the message to unplug since the battery is fully charged. Still can't tell if this is a hardware or software issue but at least for now I am able to sporadically use my phone...

• hirammrom

Make that 4x. Went into boot loop while on a call. Spent about 90 min on the charger before turning on.

• carlsondavidh

My LG G4 started this exact problem yesterday - completely out of the blue and unprovoked by anything! Extremely frustrating. I called LG after doing some research online and LG is willing to service (at no charge) it but they tell me it will be 7-10 business days from when I send it to return. No other possibilities; no immediate replacement. I bought the phone just a little over one year ago at Tmobile so I go to see them hoping for a quicker and better resolution. But even though my one-year warranty was expired just 2-3 weeks ago and even though the problem is a well-known recognized problem not caused by user, Tmobile refuses to do anything for me. Nada. Zip.

It will be the last time I buy my phone thru Tmobile and the last time I buy an LG phone.

• tidbits

It's because it's not their phone...  Look at XBox when their RROD and retailers did nothing with people having those and you had to contact Microsoft.

• carlsondavidh

Thanks for your perspective but I disagree. In my experience, companies that emphasize customer support will extend a warranty that has expired by a matter of a few days. Especially when the item was bought through them and when the problem is a known, recognized fault or defect not caused by the customer. I agree not all of them do -- but the good ones who are thinking long-term not short-term, do.

• tidbits

No carrier does. It's not their device. Like I said the Xbox 360 RROD no one expects GameStop, BestBuy, WalMart, or insert whatever retailer to exchange it, and they don't.  It is a very well and known problem. Microsoft extended the warranty instead of recalling.

• carlsondavidh

I don't think holding up an example of a vendor/sales merchant who didn't extend a warranty is a good justification. It's not the behavior I'd like to see Tmobile emulate.

• tidbits

It is an example. It's not their product. LG fudged up and giving the option of recourse. Carriers didn't make the phones. The 360 is on the parrarel on this. The manufacturer needs to correct the problem. The retailers don't.  You guys haven't shown one example where this happens. 

If you bring up cars. My father used to own a dealership. We got paid to repair cars not exchange cars in the event of a recall. The manufacturer reimburses us for the work and parts. Now a car is a lot harder to a bigger product to house and store for repair or to even exchange for a manufacturer. Not alone to be a logistic nightmare to boot. Since carriers don't have a license to repair warranties would be voided if they did any work, and would violate the manufacturer agreement.

Anyway best of luck. LG does have a quicker option but I am surprised they didn't offer it. They'll send you a refurbished device and when you get it you send yours back(requires a deposit at retail cost iirc).

• mkmer

I purchased 4 of the LG G4 phones in December 2015 "welcome to T-Mobile"... January 1, 2017 the first unit started boot looping (out of the blue).  February 2, 2017 the second unit started the EXACT same behavior.  Finally, February 22 the third (of 4) units has failed. 

This is not a good track record for LG (75% failure in 14 months), and it sure would be nice for either TMo or LG to make this right. Super disappointed...

• xpacheco

Just chiming in with my solution on how to recover data from a phone when it is in this state.

First, the issue is known and a person should be able to get their phone fixed:

http://www.androidauthority.com/lg-admits-g4-bootloop-problem-hardware-fault-669603/

As for the solution, this happens when the phone heats up.  Here is a temporary way to get the phone to boot long enough to get your files (at least this worked for me):

1. Stick the phone in the freezer for about 15-20 minutes

2. Take it out and then boot it up. If it succeeds, then quickly put the phone into Airplane mode and turn down the screen brightness.

3. Place the phone on a cold pack (to keep it cold)

4. Connect to your PC through USB and transfer your files.

I just did this and the phone has been on for about 2 hours without rebooting.  I was able to get all my files. restored.

Hope this helps someone. 

• kcla

Just have same issue with my G4 phone.  I bought the phone in March 2016 with recommendation from local store,  The local store did not disclose this issue to me at all.  After the phone has the issue yesterday, I call Tmobile customer support.   They insist TMOBILE does not aware LG G4 has this problem and refuse to change a phone to me (said it pass the warranty period)

What a joke.... now I found Tmobile has a community discussion site talking about this everywhere... and I contacted to LG, LG said this issue was informed to all carrier.....

Other than cheaper plan compare to other carrier.. now.. I really don;t like Tmobile now.... Tmobile customer support (at lease the two person I talked to) is cheater.