Pandora blocked when using LTE

vandog

Pandora works fine when on Wifi, but the app can't connect on LTE. And it's not just the app. The Pandora website is also blocked on LTE.

Pandora support can't figure it out.

I'm using the Pandora app on iPhone 6+.  Getting error message: Cannot Connect to Pandora. Please check your network connection and try again.

Everything is up to date. Tried reinstalling app, restarting phone, double checked all the settings, everything..

I have no problem connecting to Pandora on Wifi while using the app or visiting the website for support.

All replies

• I'm having the same issue. Also with Spotify and Apple Music. It won't even let me connect to the music services' websites.

• vandog

Re: Pandora blocked when using LTE

A friend who is on my family plan but doesn't live with me just texted to ask why he can't stream Apple Music on his iPhone using LTE. He says his Comcast is down right now, and just he noticed the problem. He says all his music apps are blocks as well as updating, and downloading apps.

• mgaje

Just to throw my hat into the ring, I've been seeing something similar lately too. All the devices on the account I'm on (3 different devices with three different sims), can not connect to specific domains while on T-Mobile's LTE network. I thought it was related to the Music Freedom list because Spotify, Pandora, and Soundcloud all wind up not connecting for me, but I've noticed it on a few other non-music related domains as well. Like wook999, this not only occurs in each services application, but also occurs while attempting to visit the domains in a browser. All of these services work fine on WiFi for each device too.

The image below are two separate traceroutes I did while I used my phone as a hotspot and accessed the internet on my desktop via T-Mobile's LTE network. The first traceroute is for google.com. You can see that the trace was successful. The second traceroute is for spotify.com. And, well, you can clearly see something isn't right. (I've been trying to see if I could find any correlation on why these particular domains are affected while most others aren't to no avail).

BGXejoK.png

I talked with T-Mobile support last week and put in a ticket to the engineers as well. I just wanted to add my two cents for anyone else that may potentially have this problem.

• I am also having this issue with Spotify and Pandora. Has there been any solutions?

• Re: Pandora blocked when using LTE

At first I thought it was my iphone but this issue started around mid month November. I'm having the exact same issue. Pandora doesn't seem to work on the T-Mobile's cellular network. Works fine on wifi.

It could be a technical issue that may have somehow slipped every T-Mobile employee, (because nobody really streams music on popular apps these days...including T-Mobile employees right?). Another possibility is that it is being done with the purpose of saving money/resources spent on bandwidth usage caused by streaming services, Really hope neither one of these are the case.

At any rate, this is a huge inconvenience to the T-Mobile customer base affected by this problem.

*Note: I have family using AT&T that are not experiencing this issue.

• I too am having this issue across all three of my T-Mobile devices!

• vandog

Support has not been able to fix this problem for me. The original ticket was closed, and nothing is coming of the second ticket. (14265623).  Every conversation with support is much like the first.

My family is upset that their phones have been blocked over the holidays and demand I do something. So we are porting away from T-Mo this weekend.

Best of luck to everyone!

• tidbits

Are you guys sure if it's T-mobile and not a Spotify issue?  Honestly if T-mobile was blocking a lot more users would be having this problem. Currently right now I have tried Spotify and Pandora and have no trouble. I even tried switching devices down to an iPhone.

They may have closed the ticket because they couldn't find anything wrong on their end.

• vandog

Great for you, but I'm still having the problem. If put my sim card into someone else's phone the same problem occurs.

Spotify, Pandora, Soundcloud, Mixcloud, vice.com, download/update apps, Apple music, Beatport.

Both websites and apps are being blocked on all the phones on my account. Please note their entire domains are blocked so I can't access them on Safari or Chrome browser.

• miket

vandog wrote:

Support has not been able to fix this problem for me. The original ticket was closed, and nothing is coming of the second ticket. (14265623).  Every conversation with support is much like the first.

My family is upset that their phones have been blocked over the holidays and demand I do something. So we are porting away from T-Mo this weekend.

Best of luck to everyone!

Porting away from a carrier to pay sgnificantly more money somewhere else makes no sense.  It's not as tho your basic services aren't working.

Is it possible to restrict your connection to TM to a non-LTE connection?  I don't know.  You seem to blame the problems on TM/LTE.

We've never had a problem connecting w. Pandora in many diff. locations, many phones, and 2 or 3 diff TM accounts.  Have you tried conecting outside your immediate metro area?

• vandog

We've already gone through all the setting stuff with T-Mo engineers. The problem is not location specific. I don't want to change carriers, but streaming music on long car trips is something my family did long before we came to T-Mo. I would be happy to even pay for that data if it would fix the problem. My family is demanding that their phones be fully functional and we've waited over a month for T-Mo to fix this.

• mgaje

Can anyone that's having problems along the lines in the original post reply with what plan they're on?

• vandog

My account is borked. T-Mobile can't fix the problem. I have to move to another carrier if I want full use of my phones on 4G/LTE.

This is the correct answer.

• tidbits

Are you sure it's T-Mobile and not Spotify that has the problem. If T-Mobile reset your account that means anything that was done to stop it has been undone. That says something other than T-Mobile is the likely culprit. Did you even try and contacting them to see if it's a DNS issue or something on their end?

• vandog

tidbits, you should read through all the comments on this thread before blaming spotify for the issue. I don't see how they could possibly block dozens of domains across all devices on my account and other users.

• tidbits

It's not about blocking domains...  There could be a DNS issue on their end which is causing the problem for some areas. It's no different like some MMO games out there face from time to time due to a DNS issue.  It doesn't affect everyone, and times just a few select regions. Also since people believe it's their providers often for weeks to months they may not be aware of the fact they have issues. Just you never bothered to let them know to even check their end as you are adamantly positively sure its T-Mobile and can never be them.

Yes I read through the thread a few times over. Doesn't hurt to see if they may have a issue on their end just to rule it out. At this point you have nothing to lose.

• stevetjr

Just my 2 cents but I use Pandora every day and haven't had any issues. I have a Pioneer DVD Deck in my car that has a Pandora Control App built in and links to the app on my device.  I am on Simple Choice Unlimited and as I said use it daily as my radio service and have never had any issues.

From reading the thread I haven't seen it specifically mentioned but assume it has been tried but is that have you deleted the App and re-installed it?

• miket

stevetjr wrote:

Just my 2 cents but I use Pandora every day and haven't had any issues. I have a Pioneer DVD Deck in my car that has a Pandora Control App built in and links to the app on my device.  I am on Simple Choice Unlimited and as I said use it daily as my radio service and have never had any issues.

From reading the thread I haven't seen it specifically mentioned but assume it has been tried but is that have you deleted the App and re-installed it?

I think he mentioned (could be wrong) that no one on his account can get it.

• miket

Vandog -

Have you asked anyone else on TM in your area if they have trouble getting Pandora or Spotify?    I haven't gone back to review the thread, again, -- but are you "blocked" from both Pandora and Spotify, or just one of those?  The thread topic just says "Pandora".

• vandog

Pandora was the first one I noticed when posted this over a month ago. Here's list of apps/websites we can not access via 4G/LTE. And these are just the ones we've found. It affects everyone on my family plan.

Spotify

Pandora

Soundcloud

Mixcloud

vice com

downloading/update apps at the app store

Apple music

Beatport

I've not found anyone else in my area using T-Mo who is having this problem, and the problem is not location specific.

I don't use Spotify on my personal phone, and don't see how their DNS could block all these sites across my family plan.

And yes, reinstalling apps is one the first things we tried over a month ago. Since then we have tried everything, and mean everything. Including putting my sim card into a friend's VZW iphone 5. All the same apps/domains were blocked.

This problem started when binge-on began in November. T-Mo simply changed something that borked my account.

• stevetjr

Have you tried logging into T-Mobile and turning Binge On off? Just another thought.

• miket

One would think a tech could figure out the connection between Binge On and your problem.  Do you have Binge On?

TM SHOULD, simply, "close" your account and then reopen it as tho it were a new account. 

If you have Binge On, maybe it would be worthwhile to shut it off and see if THAT is the problem.

BTW, you state problem is when using LTE.  Can you connect when not on an LTE (other than wifi.)?  Is it possible to connect to a non-LTE connection with your phone?

My 2 cents - plus s&h.

• mgaje

May I ask what plan your're on? I've been talking with T-Mobile support for almost the same length of time as you and I've gotten no-where with the same problem.

• I agree. It seems this issue started when binge-on went live in November. And, to clarify this is not just an issue with Pandora or with any specific device. When my family started having issues with Pandora I began looking for an alternative music service that we could use as indicated at Free Music Streaming & Downloads with Simple Choice Plans | T-Mobile. However, NONE of these services work while connected to LTE. When we are connected to a Wi-Fi network, that does not route through T-Mobile, the services do work. I state, not routed through the T-Mobile network as a clarification because, I have tried to use my T-Mobile hot-spot but the services still fail to load on any device or laptop that connects to the hot-spot.

So, to make a long story short YES this is an issue with T-Mobile as all of my devices fail to connect to ANY music service over LTE but work flawlessly when connected to non T-Mobile Wi-Fi.

Because we can use these music services while connected to Wi-Fi I have not resorted to changing carriers. But it would be nice for T-Mobile to at least acknowledge this as an issue and provide some semblance of a work around for us paying customers having issues.

• caymangolfer

One thing to note if people come across this issue again is that the APN fast.t.mobile.com is being set to use ipv6 and pandora and others do not like that at all, editing the APN to ipv4 works, or adding a new one if you are not able to edit the existing APN.

Not sure if it was related to this issue thread but it certainly affected me and I had to adjust so an FYI.

Cheers

PT

• vandog

This issue was fixed by visiting my local t-mobile store, and demonstrating the problem to them. They changed my plan to one that changed all the SOCs. This fixed the issue in less than an hour for me. Just needed to restart the phones and everything worked on LTE.

I was on the old 1GB-per-line plan and they moved me to the new 2GB plan. Same price. The person who helped me thinks it's related to binge-on, but shutting that off won't help. He thinks we're not getting good help from support and the engineers because they don't think the problem is real. They had never seen this problem before at the store. Demonstrating the problem in store was enough for them to take the issue seriously. I also made it clear that I had come to the mall to change carriers because I had gone through 2 trouble tickets and nothing was being done to fix this.

Thank you Chris at the Holyoke Mall store for taking charge of this issue.

• alli.jason.johnson@gmail.com

I'm not entirely sure how this works on iPhone, but try disable IPv6 for your APN

In Android it's something similar to:

Settings > Data Usage > Top Submenu "Cellular Networks" > Access Point Names

Then click on the APN > APN Protocol > Select IPv4

This solved a problem I was having with Pandora not playing on LTE, but worked on 3G and WiFi.