Google Voice for voicemail service

I recently switched from verizon (no appreciation for customer loyalty).  I brought my own device (S6 Edge) when I made the transfer.  I have used Google Voice as my voice mail service since it was first deployed.  However, missed phone calls are sent to the t-mobile voice mail service.  I tried to switch from google voice to t-mobile and back to google voice.  However, it hangs "reading settings" with the infamous circle spinning.  I then tried to use the GV **402* code from GV and I receive a message saying the number is not in service.  I then tried to use my phone settings to forward my unanswered calls to my GV number.  To finalize it, the phone tries to dial *92..... and I still receive a message that the number is not in service.  It appears as though any number leading with an asterisk will result in the same error message.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

All replies

• smplyunprdctble

Re: Google Voice for voicemail service

Are you prepaid or postpaid?

Prepaid cannot have custom voicemail.

Otherwise, the standard setup should work fine (I've set mine up through the app)

• kyled

I am postpaid.  I, too, came from Verizon, where both my Verizon and Google numbers went to GV/Hangouts for my voicemail.  Now I have an LG V10, and I want to continue using Hangouts to read/see my voicemails, and not call into some number or pay an extra fee for T-Mobile to offer a free service.  What year is this?

The area for voicemails, under Calls in Settings, is greyed out on carrier, and I can't select Google Voice.  How do I fix this issue?

• kyled

I just fixed it/figured it out.  LG V10 on 6.0.

Under Settings -> Wireless Networks -> Call -> Call forwarding ->

Always forward

Off

FORWARD IF

I put in my GV number for the 3 scenarios available -> Busy, Unanswered, Unreachable.

I did several test calls, and it works perfectly!  The calls were seamlessly sent to my GV voicemail, and the messages showed up immediately in Hangouts.

• zipdrive

Fantastic!! Thanks for the info.  Waiting on a replacement phone thanks to a busted screen and I don't want to leave the phone on.   I'm considering using GV as a permanent VM solution since T-Mobile wants a subscription on emailed and voice to text that Google offers for free.

• j9802

I did this too (put my GV # in the three options), but this did not solve the problem.  I get the message:  "Call failed to connect or disconnected because the number was unreachable." when a call to my phone switches to voicemail. 

Anyone know whether this is a Google Voice (user) issue or a TMobile issue?

• timkrimmel

I just switched from Verizon to T-mobile and got a Samsung Galaxy S8 through T-mobiles most recent BOGO promotion.  I tried the **402*Number# but each time I try this, I get a message "USSD code running..." followed by "Unable to process the request".  I checked my settings on the phone and couldn't find anything about call forwarding.  Anyone have any ideas?  I love Google voice and would hate it if I were forced to use T-mobile's butchered version of it.