Solved

Google Voice for voicemail service

• 23 November 2015
  • 19 replies

I recently switched from verizon (no appreciation for customer loyalty).  I brought my own device (S6 Edge) when I made the transfer.  I have used Google Voice as my voice mail service since it was first deployed.  However, missed phone calls are sent to the t-mobile voice mail service.  I tried to switch from google voice to t-mobile and back to google voice.  However, it hangs "reading settings" with the infamous circle spinning.  I then tried to use the GV **402* code from GV and I receive a message saying the number is not in service.  I then tried to use my phone settings to forward my unanswered calls to my GV number.  To finalize it, the phone tries to dial *92..... and I still receive a message that the number is not in service.  It appears as though any number leading with an asterisk will result in the same error message.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

icon

Best answer by smplyunprdctble 23 November 2015, 14:56

View original

19 replies

Userlevel 4

Are you prepaid or postpaid?

Prepaid cannot have custom voicemail.

Otherwise, the standard setup should work fine (I've set mine up through the app)

I am postpaid.  I, too, came from Verizon, where both my Verizon and Google numbers went to GV/Hangouts for my voicemail.  Now I have an LG V10, and I want to continue using Hangouts to read/see my voicemails, and not call into some number or pay an extra fee for T-Mobile to offer a free service.  What year is this?

The area for voicemails, under Calls in Settings, is greyed out on carrier, and I can't select Google Voice.  How do I fix this issue?

I just fixed it/figured it out.  LG V10 on 6.0.

Under Settings -> Wireless Networks -> Call -> Call forwarding ->

Always forward

Off

FORWARD IF

I put in my GV number for the 3 scenarios available -> Busy, Unanswered, Unreachable.

I did several test calls, and it works perfectly!  The calls were seamlessly sent to my GV voicemail, and the messages showed up immediately in Hangouts.

Fantastic!! Thanks for the info.  Waiting on a replacement phone thanks to a busted screen and I don't want to leave the phone on.   I'm considering using GV as a permanent VM solution since T-Mobile wants a subscription on emailed and voice to text that Google offers for free.

I did this too (put my GV # in the three options), but this did not solve the problem.  I get the message:  "Call failed to connect or disconnected because the number was unreachable." when a call to my phone switches to voicemail. 

Anyone know whether this is a Google Voice (user) issue or a TMobile issue?

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Keep in mind Google Voices services are free for now, but Google themselves say every year they may no longer make it free. Especially when they have Google Fi.

I just switched from Verizon to T-mobile and got a Samsung Galaxy S8 through T-mobiles most recent BOGO promotion.  I tried the **402*Number# but each time I try this, I get a message "USSD code running..." followed by "Unable to process the request".  I checked my settings on the phone and couldn't find anything about call forwarding.  Anyone have any ideas?  I love Google voice and would hate it if I were forced to use T-mobile's butchered version of it.

@kyled that's how i did it too.  works perfectly.  i figured it out before i saw this post.

forwarded busy, unanswered, and unreachable to my GV number.  i added +1 to the beginning of my GV number, since that was the format TM used.

i also put GV on 'do not disturb' so that it goes directly to voicemail.  i don't use my GV  number except for voicemail.

it's great to get a transcript of the message.

follow the forwarding instructions posted by @kyled

the call forwarding is under the options menu when you are in the phone app.

settings > calls > call forwarding

I am adding to the thread in case anyone else is in my situation.  I have an iPhone se running 11.2.5.  Not prepaid.  Under settings/phone/ there are no menu choices for conditional call forwarding.  I already had a google voice number from when I was with Verizon.  I installed the Google voice app on the Iphone SE but the settings offered no help.  I checked the help on the T-Mobile website, which said that there are no menu choices for call forwarding conditional, and that you have to use “short form codes.”  I looked up short form codes for call forwarding conditional, which seemed complex and not exactly clear.  I then started Googling.  In the end, I went onto the Google Voice interface on the internet, selected the Legacy interface, and there was an option for setting up Google Voice as your voicemail.  I switched my carrier there from Verizon to T-Mobile, then selected the button to make Google Voice as my voice mail.  They gave me a long numerical code to type into my phone app and press send, like a phone number.  I got a confirmation screen, and then I tested it, and Google Voice took and transcribed the voice mails. So the code  from the Google Voice Legacy interface worked.  I set Google Voice to do not disturb, to reduce the ring time before voice mail picks up. 

But it it is still too long.  Anyone know how to reduce the time?

When I was using an iPhone, it had built-in voicemail, which had started doing voice-text transcriptions. Have you tried the built-in iPhone voicemail? Give it a shot, I found it just as good as Google Voice used for voicemail, and you're not swimming upstream.

Just set this up on my Samsung S9, works well using "call forwarding". To get there you need to use different settings than listed above, though. Bring up your phone dialer, and tap the "three dot menu" in the upper right corner of the dialer screen, then:

Settings -> More Settings -> Call Forwarding

Then, as noted above, just set the three call forwarding phone numbers to your Google Voice number.

Works perfectly. Up until now I haven't been able to get it working again...I was trying to do it the old way, dialing a special phone number that includes your Google Voice number that used to change phone forwarding settings, and that doesn't work anymore. The above way is the right way for current phone firmware.

Hello,

I have the same issue. I have been with Tmobile all along and used Google Voice without issue. However, the service just stopped working three weeks ago. I tried the solutions given here (Settings - Call Forwarding - Replacing the three options with my Google Voice number). Unfortunately, I keep getting an error that says "unexpected response from the network". I wonder what I am doing wrong here.

Thanks for helping.

If you want to set up your phone rings so an incoming call - and then forwards your call to google voice mail if you don't answer the call - here's how to do it. 

On your dial keypad enter: *61*(your 10 digit phone number without the parenthesis or dashes)**(the number of seconds you want your phone to ring before going to google voice)#

Here's an example of the code to use for a sample phone number of 555444222 and will forward to google voice mail after 18 seconds:

*61*5554442222**18#    then press the call button on your phone - you'll see a confirmation message on your screen

I just switched to tmo from Sprint and was upset my GV wasn't handling my voicemail and providing transcriptions in Hangouts and SMS. I read a ton of these posts and tried different things and compared with how I got it set up on my wife's 6t (I'm on pixel 2 xl).

If you use GV for VM only, and want transcriptions to show up in Hangouts, and don't want to use Tmo BS VVM service, this is for you.

In Phone app, go to settings. Go to call forwarding. Wait for settings to read.

First setting is 'always forward'. Leave that set to 'off'. That had no preselected VM number on my device, (it does on wife's 6t), I left it blank on mine, suspecting I may have to plug her automated number into mine as well, but nope).

The next 3 are, 'when busy', 'when unanswered', and, ''when unreachable'. Switch those all to your GV number, and you should get transcriptions in Hangouts. You may need to go into Hangouts settings and make sure it is turned on, so that the 'show in hangouts' option is available in your g Voice settings.

Considering that Hangouts is deprecated, a new way to get this service will be necessary soon, but this worked for me.

Also, make sure VVM is turned off in phone>settings>voicemail, or you will just get a notification that says 'transcribing' forever.

I had the same issue: using iPhone with T-Mobile with the Google Voice number that I've had for years. For some inexplicable reason, some time in late April 2019 voicemails started appearing in my Phone app instead of in the Google Voice app--which had never happened before. Strangely, even voicemails from people who called my GV number were appearing in voicemail for my Phone app! In any case, I just fixed it and wanted to share with everyone what I did to fix it.

​*I JUST USED THESE INSTRUCTIONS AND THEY WORKED*

1. (On a computer) log into voice.google.com
  2. On the menu in the left-hand side, click "Legacy Google Voice" (will open a new window)
  3. In Legacy Google Voice, go to Settings (gear icon in upper right hand area)
  4. In the Phones tab, look for and click on the link for "Activate Google voicemail on this phone"
  5. Pop up window gives instructions that appear to be unique to the carrier. I am using an iPhone with T-Mobile, I do not know whether the code is the same when using a different phone OS or a different carrier:
    **004*1XXXXXXXXXX#
    where XXXXXXXXXX represents your ten digit phone number (area code + seven digit number)
    as an example, if my number were (415)575-4931 then I would type
    **004*14155754931#
  6. Then a confirmation screen on my phone says all sorts of Conditional Call Forwarding is activated (calls, voicemails, texts, even fax). I click the button at bottom to "Dismiss"
  7. As always, you need to test to verify everything. So, using a different phone, I dialed my T-Mobile number and with no answer, the call routed to my GV voicemail greeting. Success!

Hope this helps!

P.S. Be a good 'netizen' by taking the time to share answers once you find them. We all benefit. Cheers!

The codes are definitely carrier independent.

But I just went through this process with my Note10+ on 11-25-2019, and it didn't work. Instead of kicking to Google voicemail it went into the "error busy tone" (ernt ernt ernt ernt is my best guess at phonetics).

However, I did finally get it working by using a method posted above to change call forwarding settings using a menu driven approach from within the phone, with a caveat.

Phone app > Settings > Supplementary services > Call forwarding & changed everything except "Always forward" to my goole voice number.

Caveat: these settings just didn't want to "take." I tried at various times throughout the day & finally got them all changed ~8 hours later. Didn't seem to follow any rhyme or reason for when it would finally take the changes.

Good luck folks!!!!

I had the same issue: using iPhone with T-Mobile with the Google Voice number that I've had for years. For some inexplicable reason, some time in late April 2019 voicemails started appearing in my Phone app instead of in the Google Voice app--which had never happened before. Strangely, even voicemails from people who called my GV number were appearing in voicemail for my Phone app! In any case, I just fixed it and wanted to share with everyone what I did to fix it.

​*I JUST USED THESE INSTRUCTIONS AND THEY WORKED*

1. (On a computer) log into voice.google.com
  2. On the menu in the left-hand side, click "Legacy Google Voice" (will open a new window)
  3. In Legacy Google Voice, go to Settings (gear icon in upper right hand area)
  4. In the Phones tab, look for and click on the link for "Activate Google voicemail on this phone"
  5. Pop up window gives instructions that appear to be unique to the carrier. I am using an iPhone with T-Mobile, I do not know whether the code is the same when using a different phone OS or a different carrier:
    **004*1XXXXXXXXXX#
    where XXXXXXXXXX represents your ten digit phone number (area code + seven digit number)
    as an example, if my number were (415)575-4931 then I would type
    **004*14155754931#
  6. Then a confirmation screen on my phone says all sorts of Conditional Call Forwarding is activated (calls, voicemails, texts, even fax). I click the button at bottom to "Dismiss"
  7. As always, you need to test to verify everything. So, using a different phone, I dialed my T-Mobile number and with no answer, the call routed to my GV voicemail greeting. Success!

Hope this helps!

P.S. Be a good 'netizen' by taking the time to share answers once you find them. We all benefit. Cheers!

This worked! Thanks aaroniusmaximus!