Lumia 950 and wi-fi calling

Hello,

I have checked the official specifications of the Lumia 950 phone on the Microsoft Store site (

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Microsoft-Lumia-950--Unlocked/productID.326602600 ). It seems the phone supports all the bands T-Mobile uses.

The specifications also mention "Wi-Fi call" but do not give additional details. Will Wi-Fi calling work if an unlocked Lumia 950 is used on T-Mobile network? If so, is any particular configuration needed?

Thank you for your help.

All replies

• tmo_lauren

Re: Lumia 950 and wi-fi calling

Greetings!

Typically unlocked devices will not work with our Wi-Fi calling, Microsoft hasn't officially confirmed compatibility so we don't currently have exact details.

-Lauren

• Hello Lauren, just wondering if you can provide which phones do allow wifi calling when used on tmobile's network, seems to me that if a feature exists in a phone and works on one carrier, it should work on the other if offered by multiple carriers..... and my point is that ATT doesn't even have Wifi calling enabled, especially for a iPhone 5s, which was originally purchased from an ATT store who had unlocked it prior to me purchasing, I have the email confirmation from ATT. Why would the unlocked iPhone work with WiFi calling on Tmobiles network but not an unlocked Lumia 950?

Someone has to know which do and which don't work.

I want a Lumia 950, Tmobile doesn't really care what its customers want device wise, so the only way to get one is buying unlocked. I think theres some conspiracy against Windows Phones.

Anyway, my point is, that I am 100% sure that Tmobile has had a Lumia 950 or 950XL as a test device, even if it was   never going to be carried by Tmobile, so someone there knows..... Just depends on how much you care to find the answer for the customer asking it.

• theartiszan

This case it has nothing to do with T-Mobile not carrying it. Nokia signed an exclusivity deal with AT&T so no one else can carry it even if they want to. Because of that, it us highly unlikely that Wi-Fi calling will be sorted on that device. Because of the way Wi-Fi calling needs access to the SIM card, it needs to have the application or enough API hooks to be able to work. Either the Microsoft would need to build it into the core operating system or Nokia needs to develop it into their phones. This is not something they have adapted yet. Google is just starting to do it with Android 6.0 and in some phones. Until that core level integration happens, not all phones will have it.

• tidbits

Any Nexus from the Nexus 6 and above, and all iPhones from the iPhone 5S and above unlocked or not.

The 950 supports it and AT&T does have WiFi calling. However there are certain provisions needed and since Microsoft not talking to carriers in general other than AT&T by their own admission WiFi calling will not work until they start talking. No conspiracy as well MS said they are the ones not talking while Legere is willing to.

• tidbits

Your 100% sure is 100% wrong as words by MS they did not talk to T-Mobile and that means if they aren't talking why would MS give them a test device?

Also yes I am sporting an unlocked 950, and yes I followed the news like a hawk going fishing.

• kanehi

There are two particular phones that I wished TMobile would carry, the Lumia 950XL and the Motorola Droid Turbo 2. 

• tidbits

Droid line is exclusive. They couldn't carry it as long as Verizon holds all the licensing

• tmo_lauren

^ This is true.

And Microsoft had the Lumia 950XL was another carrier exclusive, I believe.

-Lauren

• tidbits

It is exclusive to the point that Microsoft made the decision to allow only AT&T to carry and sell it.

• daleross

No Lauren, the 950 XL is not carrier exclusive. In fact you cannot buy it directly from a carrier, only from Microsoft Store.

If TMO supported these features, good chance it's start switching lines. Assuming coverage has improved.

• tidbits

Out of MS own mouth they didn't talk to anyone but AT&T. It may not be exclusive in terms of contract but it is exclusive as you can only get them from one carrier. This is similar to other exclusives.

• daleross

you CANNOT buy the 950 XL in the US from ANY carrier. You can ONLY buy it UNBRANDED directly from Microsoft. It is not a carrier exclusive phone.

• tidbits

950 AT&T only.  I would love to see the contract for that device.  I am willing to put money down that the 950XL could have went somewhere, but due to the AT&T deal it can't.  AT&T has been known through the industry to throw large amounts of money for things like that.

Also like I said before.  If MS isn't talking to T-Mobile the stuff YOU want isn't going to happen because there needs collaboration to ensure it works.  Nexus 6 and newer, iPhone 5S and newer, Moto X 2015, HTC 10, all can use WiFi calling as they worked together to make it work.  If you want it then get MS to grow up and talk to carriers.

My speculation.  Not much effort went into the 950/XL.  It's a throwaway feature windows 10 device because the surface phone will never be ready in time.  So they pushed it out and putting limited resources hence their short term, and long term plan lingo.  The Surface phone will be like the Nexus 5X/6P where it works on all carriers, and has the features like Wifi calling, and such.

• kanehi

I have the Lumina 640 and love it.  Reception is better than my Samsung and the GUI is more responsive.  I was planning to get the 950XL because it has a lot of potential and features but I want the WiFi calling feature because TMo's coverage isn't that great out of major cities.  Amazon, Walmart has it besides the Microsoft store.  Hopefully TMo will consider having the Lumina Surface in their lineup

• daleross

you should be careful buying a 950 XL from Amazon, most units are international versions and you'll be missing some LTE bands, no warranty etc. Before you buy from Walmart you should check which model 950 XL they're selling. It's just recently down up there and they do not give enough information. You should get at least the RM-* number, check LTE bands it has. There are other retailers like BHP you can buy from, but they too are international models.

• kanehi

Apparently there are two versions, a single and dual SIM model.  As I understand the single SIM model has all the bands necessary for TMo even though it has the equivalent bands on the dual SIM.  I also read that the 950XL/950 has some problems per YouTube reviews.  Hopefully the Note 7 will be out and just get that one instead.

• daleross

you MUST check the specifications of the device. There are single and dual sim and then many region variants. Even more importantly, the international models you purchase in the US have no warranty unless the seller offers one. In the US it is best to buy from Microsoft Store or pick up a used device.

Problems? I have a 950 XL running latest firmware and latest anniversary release of Windows 10 Mobile. No problems, runs great . I've had the device since release. must reviews you see are based on older firmware and beta versions of Windows 10 Mobile.

If you'd prefer the Note 7, then you should get that.

• algor77

and how long that disconnect between T mobile and Microsoft will last... ? Would someone from t-mobile show initiative in behalf of customers and contacted MS who apparently wants to sell more lumia's.... and apparently T-mobile & MS too busy to care for sales numbers...

• tidbits

MS is the one that said their short term they are only dealing with AT&T.  So only they will know, but it's speculated that the surface phone is their long term plans

• algor77

-NO Wi-Fi Calling

TMOBILE WI-FI CALLING,AS YOU ARE ACTUALLY WONDERING ABOUT, IS NOT A

DOWNLOADABLE APPLICATION RELEASED BY TMOBILE, IT IS AN EMBEDDED APPLICATION

ON THE ROM OF THE TMOBILE BRANDED DEVICES ONLY.  SO YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO

USE THAT FEATURE FOR TMOBILE SERIVCES PER SAY, BUT THE DEVICE DOES DO WIFI

CALLING VIA SKYPE, ETC.

• kanehi

I wanted to get an unlocked 950XL and two features aren't available as far as I researched... wi-fi calling and visual voice mail.  The Lumia 950/XL has all the bands necessary for TMo but the two features are lacking.  I also wonder if it supports video calling.

• tmo_mike_c

Discussion moved from Devices to Not Sold by T-Mobile.

• kanehi

At least Microsoft made the 950XL with all the bands available across the board including TMobile but lacks two features.  I can do without video calling but Wi-Fi calling is a necessity for me when signals are lacking or am overseas to make wifi calls.

• carlsea

Now that almost a year has passed... can we get Microsoft and T-Mobile to cooperate in some way to enable WiFi Calling on this phone? Even if it is unofficial?

• tidbits

Legally no they can't going both ways. They both have to come to an agreement.

• carlsea

Seems unlikely that Microsoft gave ATT permanent exclusivity. That agreement has probably run its course. Would really like to get this working as it is also needed to access the free Gogo Wifi and texting which worked on the Lumia 925. Shame on me, but I didn't know all the stuff I was losing by upgrading my phone.

• tidbits

Like I told people earlier in this thread. The 950 was nothing more than a showcase phone. MS needed a phone to show off windows 10. They didn't want to put real production and resources. By limiting it without calling it an exclusive allows them just that. It really was an exclusive to begin with.  They will put more resources in the surface phone, and better advertising. This phone coming up is a keep me or lose me going forward.