When is the Android 6 Marshmallow upgrade coming to LG V10?

I heard that LG is rolling out the Marshmallow upgrade soon, but I do not see LG V10 mentioned in the T-Mobile upgrade list here:

Software updates

Does anyone know when they are going to roll out the upgrade?

All replies

• smplyunprdctble

Nobody knows unless it's on that link.

T-Mobile's answer is "watch that link"

• jhtechservices

When the V10 was announced LG stated that the Marshmallow update should be coming out early 2016.  Now that means it could come between Jan 1 and June 1, but they did commit to early 2016.

• Allegedly they are having issues with the update. I heard something about MMS in Marshmallow.It's kind of annoying to have the latest and greatest from LG and yet mum is the word on when it will be updated. Not happy about it.

• stevetjr

shermcraig wrote:

Allegedly they are having issues with the update. I heard something about MMS in Marshmallow.It's kind of annoying to have the latest and greatest from LG and yet mum is the word on when it will be updated. Not happy about it.

If your not happy blame the lawyers, there was actually a lawsuit regarding an update against Motorola so no they are very careful not to promise anything or if they do they they are as general as possible so they don't get sued.

So in the case of the V10 which was obviously going to get MM they just say early 2016 which is open to interpretation.

• erik@superhive.net

LG V10 finally at least listed on that link.  Under manufacturer development which is BS because the update has been done from LG for at least a month, but it's a start.

• tidbits

There's more to it than that. The baseline might be done  which you say, but there are other things that need to be implented. Like Wi-Fi calling, Advanced Messaging, Gogo in-flight, and such which the base will not have for. Also if it affects the radio the FCC will be involved and will be part of the manufacturer development process. It's not so cut and dry as you seem to think.

• erik@superhive.net

tidbits wrote:

There's more to it than that. The baseline might be done  which you say, but there are other things that need to be implented. Like Wi-Fi calling, Advanced Messaging, Gogo in-flight, and such which the base will not have for. Also if it affects the radio the FCC will be involved and will be part of the manufacturer development process. It's not so cut and dry as you seem to think.

Actually it's exactly as cut and dry as I think. Absolutely there are more things to do beyond the baseline. Everything you said is completely valid (though I'd doubt anything that is part of the t-mobile specific tweaks require FCC involvement but I'll admit ignorance there to the level I won't try and argue the point). But all those tweaks are part of the t-mobile phase not the manufacturer one. The LG V10 marshmallow update is done, handed over to t-mobile and AT&T and sprint and etc for them to do their own network specific tweaking. The LG V10 should be listed as completed phase 1 and sitting in phase 2.

Now maybe t-mobile is claiming phase 1 is both lg's work (which is done) and their's (which is not) and phase 2 is ONLY testing, but if that's the case that's some seriously disingenuous phase labeling calling it "Manufacturer Development" foisting the blame on LG for the delay when LG's part has been finished for a while. If that's their stance then sure you're right phase 1 isn't done but I'd argue that there should be phases: 1a "Manufacturer Development" which is completed; 1b "T-Mobile Customization" which is not done and 2 "T-Mobile Testing" which hasn't even begun.

All that being said when I check the link the V10 seems to still be stage 1 "manufacturer development"

Hopefully it'll come soon but my money is that it won't be until after I jump to the g5 which'll come with 6.0 out the gate anyway.

• coavlanche

I checked the update link today and it seems that Marshmallow has just recently entered the "Completed" state.  Shouldn't be long...

https://support.t-mobile.com/community/phones-tablets-devices/software-updates

• suprafly

It taking so long to get marshmallow on the V10 heck it sibling the G4 has it already.  I think I will defect to Nexus phone next as it always the latest.  

• smplyunprdctble

suprafly wrote:

It taking so long to get marshmallow on the V10 heck it sibling the G4 has it already.  I think I will defect to Nexus phone next as it always the latest. 

Latest doesn't mean greatest.  I've had MANY apps stop working with my Nexus devices when an OS update hits.

...not to mention we got hit with a bug where we couldn't enter December dates until another patch came through

• nujerzeedevil

Manufacturer Development

Software Version: Android 6.0 "Marshmallow"T-Mobile and the device manufacturer have agreed to support a new software update.

The V10 is still in Manufacturer Development phase. After that they will upgrade it to the testing phase to see if there are any bugs etc. Depending on if there are any bugs & how severe the bugs are will determine exactly how long it will take before it is finally released to us. More or less anytime between now & June it could be released so all we can do is just sit & wait. Anyone who doesn't want to wait can choose to change to a different phone but I intend on waiting patiently until the update is rolled out since I love my V10

• suprafly

I guess I will by the Nexus 6p out right and pop in a sim and wait the enduring process for marshmallow to be release on the v10. 

• winnt64

I'm guessing that for the V10, the answer will ultimately be never.  LG is high on the road to pushing the new G5 and this phone will fall by the wayside.  With the second screen and the length of time that it's been out and no official word from LG...  NADA.  While on the T-Mob site they have "agreed" to look at an upgrade, that means absolutely nothing.  Plus, given T-Mob's lack of updating that site (for any phone, in a timely manner).  Then you have to factor in the carrier BLOAT  that has to be integrated........

• ntchwaidumela

What's really very disappointing is that Verizon, notorious for its late software updates, is pushing out the Marshmallow update TODAY. Yet, according to T-Mobile, Marshmallow hasn't even reached the testing stage. What up with that??? Nobody at T-Mobile has an answer why this update is taking so long. Is there a particular carrier problem that even Verizon doesn't have? TMO always prides itself in being the "un-carrier" and the most innovative. But this delay is a slap in the face for we V10 owners, especially since we haven't been given the courtesy of a reason. There has to be one. We V10 owners are grown-ups; we can handle it. I love TMO and my V10. But the agreement with LG and TMO for the upgrade being months old, and still TMO shows it not to even be in the testing phase, that's unacceptable. And since LG released the update months ago, that leaves the burden on TMO. So, I ask again, WHAT UP!?

• tidbits

ntchwaidumela wrote:

What's really very disappointing is that Verizon, notorious for its late software updates, is pushing out the Marshmallow update TODAY. Yet, according to T-Mobile, Marshmallow hasn't even reached the testing stage. What up with that??? Nobody at T-Mobile has an answer why this update is taking so long. Is there a particular carrier problem that even Verizon doesn't have? TMO always prides itself in being the "un-carrier" and the most innovative. But this delay is a slap in the face for we V10 owners, especially since we haven't been given the courtesy of a reason. There has to be one. We V10 owners are grown-ups; we can handle it. I love TMO and my V10. But the agreement with LG and TMO for the upgrade being months old, and still TMO shows it not to even be in the testing phase, that's unacceptable. And since LG released the update months ago, that leaves the burden on TMO. So, I ask again, WHAT UP!?

I think people would learn by now...  Depending on the development team by the manufacturers dictates how fast updates happen.  Yes carriers do not touch code like popular belief.  Manufacturers on more than one occasion has said they get the code and apps in advance and then incorporate the code.  No carrier will always be first and no carrier will always be last.

• patrickhenninger

There are a million possibilities... It could be a corporate and/or manufacturer push to do other phones first, it could be luck-of-the draw that TMO "developers" just chose the Galaxy next, who knows.

• stevetjr

Why is the burden on T-Mobile?  It has been mentioned in this thread (and a couple other thousand threads) that all T-Mobile does is the testing and none of the programming and this has been validated in court.  LG hasn't released the update months ago, they released some variations of the update months ago.  In the US each carriers version of Android are different because each carrier has different technologies that require the OS to be "altered" from the standard version that not only Google releases but from the "unlocked" versions sold internationally.  Verizon for instance still uses CDMA for it's 2G/3G and while they have started rolling out VoLTE that is fairly recent. T-Mobile has quite a few advanced features that only they use that some of the carriers use only 1 or 2 of but not all of them together like GoGo, RCS (Advanced Messaging), Wi-Fi Calling, Video calling, VoLTE.  All of these have to be incorporated at an OS level not the App level for security reasons and all of them intertwine with each other so not only does all of that need to be programmed even LG has to test them all individually and together before they even release it to T-Mobile for testing.

The other thing is that if you look in the past history of updates which carrier is first,which one is last and the order in between seems to change every time (with the recent exception of Sprint being first most times but rumor has it they do virtually no testing in house anymore which is risky to say the least but at least they can say they are first at something) but this goes around and around and is it the manufacturers that change the order up on purpose??  Is it just how the different programming teams randomly finish?? Who knows but until you see that it is in software testing it is out of T-Mobile's hands, once in testing then any delay you can rightfully blame on them. 

• ntchwaidumela

My point was that Verizon has a reputation for being very late, if not last, in releasing their updates. But they released their update today, as promised. If it was a different phone model (like the G4), I wouldn't question the TMO delay. However, the notification that TMO and LG have agreed on the update was made months ago, and it hasn't gotten past that step, yet. They don't HAVE to give us a reason for the delay, of course. But when you name yourself "the un-carrier," it sure as hell would be nice if they broke with that carrier tradition. It's just flat out disappointing!

• stevetjr

Thank the lawyers for one, T-Mobile was actually named in a lawsuit regarding an update quite a few years ago when one was promised but then do to an issue with the chip manufacturer deciding not to update their firmware there was no way to do the Android update. Since it is all on LG's end regarding the programing the only thing T-Mobile could do is throw LG under the bus and no company is going to throw one of their major suppliers under the bus.

Verizon has typically been nearer the end because they use CDMA which only they and Sprint used when the ROW uses GSM for 2G so they have to have different radios.  But even with that Verizon has not always been last, with the S5 there was a major update and they were first but it actually backfired because the update started bricking phones, so being first isn't always best either and in the case of that update T-Mobile's release date came and went while Google/Samsung figured out what the issue was and T-Mobile was the first carrier to get the "patched" update.

As patrickhenninger pointed out it could be a million (probably not quite a million lol) reasons and just where the team developing the T-Mobile variant team is farther behind or ran into some issues integrating all the extra code in the TMO version but neither side will point fingers and that is just the way it is unfortunately.

Be glad you don't have a Sony Z3, everyone is blaming T-Mobile but in reality Sony has basically pulled out of US market and isn't updating either the TMO or VZW version which were the only 2 sold in the US.

• tidbits

they give out more information than the other carriers when it comes to updates.  That in itself more than the carrier tradition. Also not much they can do if LG hasn't finished with the update.  You have to realize and manufacturers already admitted this on multiple occasions.  They are the ones modifying the code, and the carrier doesn't even touch the code.

So if T-Mobile isn't touching the code how can they know exactly when everything will finish?  That's like me expecting you to tell me when Hawaii's rail is going to be finished.

• suprafly

kind of to late now moving on to the g5 once it out my v10 will be traded in. Kind of suck that t-mob is late with updates with OTA. 

• ntchwaidumela

The rail will be completed in February 2018.

• tidbits

You sure now? Of course Google wouldn't tell you we are about a year behind and are over budget by a few million... The building firm may stop construction until they start getting paid again. So how long will it take now?

• ntchwaidumela

It was a joke, dude. In response to your asking if I could tell you when Hawaii's rail would be completed. Lighten up!

• tidbits

I had a feeling you were, but I wanted to make a point if someone read it.  Software is a lot like construction.  You could have a date, but it is never set as stone.  A lot of people treat dates are "promises" even when the manufacturer or carrier said it isn't one.  Back with Android first came out the first 2 years was filled with so much litigation that carriers rarely ever say anything other than coming soon.  We are a victim of our own actions.  Motorola Cliq for example.  Motorola said what the delay was and people sued T-mobile for it...  It was Sharp not updating their drivers.  The Moto Cliq XT motorola dropped support by Motorola and everyone blamed T-Mobile even though the counterpart didn't get updates either.  Wasn't pretty during those days.

• skates

I actually had a Cliq XT, never blamed t-mobile personally, but the way that phone was handled ended any chance of me ever buying another Motorola phone. The irony for the Cliq XT was the community had 100% working roms of the update while Motorola was still saying "next quarter" and then finally "it will be staying on Donut for a better user experience" (which ironically had totally ended support so you couldn't even get apps for it any more, including simple things like google maps) lol. Sadly though, 6 months for a "flagship" phone is pushing the limits, especially when older phones like the g3 and the g4 have or will soon have said update, no offense to those people with older devices but they shouldn't be priorities. I won't condemn either company, but if the update doesn't come soon, then Jump on Demand will come in handy and LG will end up on the short list with Motorola.

• tidbits

The V10 has more proprietary files needed.  Even if it is pushed out there still more testing needed to ensure things don't go wrong.  You'd be surprise has a single string of code could royally mess up a device especially kernel.  With Wifi calling and Advanced messaging for example require a few kernel changes with LTE to work correctly.

• gr8awsomness

Look at Xperia Z3 (T-Mobile Carrier Specific D-6616 Model) I was waiting for 5.1 update it's a tier 5 device which should've been given more than 2 updates. I switched because the Xperia Z3 T-Mobile model was still on Android version 5.0.2 with no update on what's going on with it. Glad I switched upgraded my phone also, plus it factory reset itself. The entire Google, PlayStation/Sony, app/services were wipe. Even the browser for both Google Chrome and the System/Android pre-installed browser were wiped off. This happened while it was locked and I know for a fact that nobody did anything to it, because it was on the bath-counter while I took a shower, both flaps for the charger and memory/sim card were secured. It was only 10 minutes when i got out and found out it factory reset itself. I actually have 5.1.1 now on the LG V10. Really liked the Xperia Z3, but when it did that I was done with it.

• noles7575@gmail.com

I am downloading the update now via lg bridge on my computer.

• curgeorge8

It is available today, and can be installed using the LG Bridge Desktop software. http://www.lg.com/us/support/product-help/CT10000025-1438110404543-preinstall-apps

Users on various forums are reporting they are receiving the OTA as well, although I did not. I was able to update using the desktop software without any problems, took about 30 minutes.

Here is the changelog from LG.

• matesny

Congratulations LG V10 users on your latest Software Update!

Please enjoy your new software and do not hesitate to contact us with any remorses or regrets

Sicerely,

Lollipop Kids.