Just got my new Nexus 5x yesterday.  It's working great.  Good news for T-Mobile users.  The nexus 5x works with WiFi Calling right off the box.  Just need to go to Settings -> ...More -> WiFi calling:  Turn on and set your Calling preference.

All replies

• smplyunprdctble

Re: New Nexus 5x

mine arrives tomorrow

• tmo_mike_c

Hey congrats on your new phone toiday!!! I can't wait to get mine!!! tidbits I'm torn between getting the carbon or the ice colored one!! Their BOTH soooooo nice!!!

• Re: New Nexus 5x

How do you know it is working? I turned it on in settings but I don't see the notification that wifi calling is on. Also, when I switch to airplane mode and turn on wifi (so the cell radio is off) it tells me to connect to a cellular network when I try to make a call, so it doesn't really look like it is working at all...

• tidbits

works for me.  In the notification shade and on the lock screen it should say T-Mobile Wi-Fi Calling even when in Airplane mode.  When you place a call you should see below and in the upper right you'll see a phone icon next to the Wi-Fi icon.  You will not see any icon until you place a call.

Screenshot_20151027-074952.png

Getting the error: "Turn off airplane mode or connect to a wireless network to make a call" until I select "cellular preferred" as the wifi method.  Doesn't make too much sense but on "wifi preferred" nothing would work.

• tidbits

That above screenshot is on Wi-Fi preferred.

Did you reboot your phone after making the change? You are seeing exactly what I saw until reboot.

Not sure if it makes a difference whether you change the setting from Settings page or phone app. Official instructions say to use the phone app:

Make calls over Wi-Fi - Nexus Help

• tidbits

No I didn't. All I did was turn on Wi-Fi calling. Turn on airplane. Turn on Wi-Fi. Waited for it to connect then placed a call. Didn't touch anything else.

Same problem for me. Getting the error: "Turn off airplane mode or connect to a wireless network to make a call".

• smplyunprdctble

sshaji wrote:

Same problem for me. Getting the error: "Turn off airplane mode or connect to a wireless network to make a call".

as said earlier in the thread...

seems I had to reboot after turning the setting on for it to show up as "T-Mobile Wi-Fi Calling" as the network

did you reboot?

Yes. I rebooted the device several times

Wifi calling was not working because of my old SIM card. Got a new replacement SIM from TMobile store and now wifi calling is working fine!!

• jonomite

When I have wifi calling enabled on my 5X, overtime, I occasionally receive duplicate text messages, though not all of the time. Has anyone observed this?

• tidbits

I've seen this not just on WiFi calling and not just on T-Mobile. It seems to be a messenger bug to me.

• jonomite

Thanks for the reply. I've observed that the incidence of duplicate texts definitely increases when wifi calling is enabled.

• ncguy

I know this is an old forum but I can't find anyone else discussing this issue.

I have a Nexus 6p and 5x and both are getting the error message Turn off airplane mode or connect to a wireless network to make a call when I'm in airplane mode, wifi on, and attempt to make a wifi call.  As a matter of fact, even if I'm not in airplane mode if I don't have a cell signal it will flash this error message.  I'm set to wifi preferred and have rebooted etc,  Wifi calling actually works just fine as long as I have a cell signal present or don't have airplane mode enabled.  It just seems that the phone insists on pinging a cell tower before it will permit a wifi call.  I've seen where other stock 6p or 5x  tmobile users are able to make calls without any issues.  So I am really puzzled why my two phones are having this problem.  Tmobile, google, etc have been of no help at all.  You can really tell these are stepchild devices.

• tidbits

T-Mobile has nothing to do with it. Only Google touches the code for their Nexus devices. If you have a problem Google has to fix it.

Also even though Google won't stop people from buying it Nexus devices were intended for developers. Consumers tried to evolve it into something else.

• ncguy

+ tidbits You're making a big assumption that it's the device.  Like I said, others in this thread with my exact same device are not reporting this problem.  I'm just hoping that someone on here has possibly figured out what causes this problem. Why some people with the same device have it and others don't.   Just don't count on tmobile, google, or Huawei to solve this one cause they're not.

And in case you hadn't noticed, Nexus devices are no longer just for developers and google doesn't market them that way.  BTW, I'm new to this forum.  Warm welcome to you too. 

• tidbits

Actually not all devices are the same. They may have the same name, but no 2 devices are the same. Everything has tolerances and those tolerances may affect devices differently

Car engine for example. No 2 engines give you the same HP. You can even modify those engines with the "same" parts but they'll never have the same HP and torque.

Also the only other factor would be the router and QoS and security settings.

One thing I do notice for a lot of those that have trouble their wifi drops as soon as they place a call. Those guys got replacements and didn't have the same problem since.

• ncguy

+tidbits I can see you like to mix it up.   I'm just looking for help with my problem.  So if anyone else has anything productive to add I'd appreciate hearing what you have to say.

• tidbits

People in this thread disappeared even when it shows it is supposed to work like they assumed. They either exchanged the devices or move on to another device.

Do you have a friend that has a Nexus? Yes try and use your network and see. It drops it may be your router. It doesn't then more than likely it's your phone.

Did you check Google bug report pages to see if it shows up and see how high of a priority it is for Google? Are you on Android N DP?

• ncguy

+ tidbits  I'm not having any wifi call drops at all.  Wifi calls are excellent.   I simply can't initiate a wifi call unless Im also connected to a cell tower.  Everyone knows that defeats the purpose of wifi calling.

I'm not a dev, not rooted,  and I'm on stock Marshmallow.   AFAIK this has not been logged.

• tidbits

You can go to the bug pages and search to see it. That's where all the general bugs for Android goes.

From what I see your wifi is dropping but you don't see it dropping.

Check with a friend that has a Nexus and test it against your network. If it still does it then it could be your router, but if it connects and works like I showed above a long time ago then it's more than likely your phone is the problem.

Did you try some other network?

• tidbits

Oh try pulling the notification shade and see if wifi calling disappeared. If it did then your wifi dropped.

• ncguy

No,  my wifi is rock solid 235mb down. Yes,  many networks.  I never lose a call I've started. This is about being able to start a wifi call,  not maintain one.   I've really tried to be clear about that.  Somehow I don't think you're grasping the problem.  Please re-read my posts and others with the same issue.

• tidbits

Yes I am aware of what the problem is. You seem to have a disposition against me and are not helping the troubleshooting.

When you place a call the network drops. It tries and falls back onto the mobile network and since it isn't there it will fail the call. When you are on wifi calling on the bottom of he notification shade it should say T-Mobile Wifi calling. When you place said call that banner will disappear and your call fails... That is your wifi dropping even if you are still connected.

Try it again and let me know if that happening.

• ncguy

I'm only going to say this once.  If you don't understand or believe it then please don't respond because you're just muddying the water.

When I make a wifi call there  is an attempt to ping the cell network regardless of how strong my wifi is and yes it says wifi calling the whole time.  That is the problem.  It has no reason to look for a cell network but it's doing that check anyway and if there is no cell then it won't allow a wifi call.  Yes,  it makes no sense but that's what it's doing and that's the whole problem.  Please do not imply again that its trying to fall over  due to a weak wifi connection  because I'm telling that is not the case.

• tidbits

You didn't read what I said.

When you are on wifi calling the notification shade will show T-Mobile Wifi calling. When you place the call if the wifi drops(regardless of the icon up top says) it will disappear. If you don't have cellular to fall back on it will fail whether on airplane or poor cellular signal. That isn't normal behavior as it shouldn't be dropping you.

Try and test it out yourself and look at notification shade every time it fails.

If you haven't noticed I am trying to help you. I am trying to pinpoint which bug you have...

For example this also affects 6P. People have exchanged and it fixed their problems. Some people ended up switching then changing their routers to fix the problem. The problem now is this threads and similar threads are old so sifting through to find fixes are a pita to find.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/nexus-5x/603249-nexus-5x-wifi-calling-keeps-disconnecting-t-mobile.html

So like I said test it out and LOOK to see if it is this bug.  Google has this bug on their bug report pages but it is low priority. You want it fixed sooner have to get the priority up. A tidbit(no pin intended) it isn't fixed on any current Android N developer preview.

• ncguy

OK.  So if I'm standing right next to my router  my shade says wifi calling and I can wifi call and stay connected until the battery goes dead on the phone.   Now, if I'm in that exact same spot next to the router, shade says wifi calling,  and then I turn on airplane mode (to kill the cell) and turn wifi back on  the shade will never say wifi calling and I will never be able to make a wifi call.  I can then turn airplane mode off and the shade says wifi calling once again and I can make wifi calls.  This is all happening from the same spot and I can repeat the procedure indefinitely.

I use airplane mode with wifi on to simulate what happens when I'm out and completely lose my cell signal.  It acts exactly the same way.  I can never get the wifi calling on the shade in that scenario even with a tested wifi signal.

I know that I should be able to make a wifi call in airplane mode.  Look at the screen in this post.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/nexus-6p/619430-nexus-6p-tmo-wifi-call-question.html#post4892368

As you can see this nexus 6p is in airplane mode, wifi on, and he is connected with wifi calling. 

My entire problem relates to that post.  What's different that makes wifi calling in airplane mode work for him but not for me?

• gramps28

I have a 5X and I just tested wifi calling in airplane mode and it works for me. fwiw

• ncguy

+gramps 28.   Good to know.  Did you have to do anything special to get it to work?  I'm really tearing my hair out.

• gramps28

All I did was put it in airplane mode,turned on wifi and made a test call and it went

through. I didn't have to do anything special. One note a window doesn't pop up saying

I have wifi calling though like some other 5X's.

As tidbits says some phones still have bugs plus he is trying to help you.

• ncguy

gramps28.  One think about Nexus phones, as I'm sure you know, they are all updated better than any other android phone. If the phones are in the same region it's hard to imagine that the image would be different.  I'd would do a reset to be sure it wasn't something I personally configured but my wife's 5X is behaving exactly the same way. I can't see both phones needing a factory reset.  Hers is actually still pretty new.

I'd say it might be something to do with my home router but it behaves the same in other places.  TMO says it's not the SIM, and that makes sense since both phones have the problem, but it just feels SIM related somehow.

• tidbits

If you feel the sim is the problem walk into a T-Mobile store and have them troubleshoot it for you. Make sure it's a corporate one, and 100% of the time you will be given a free sim. Some 3rd party T-Mobile are not that friendly and try and charge you $10.

• tidbits

If you look at earlier in this thread I posted a screenshot to about normal behavior. You have the same bug as I mentioned earlier just an extreme case of it. I "added" you to the bug ticket out, but no telling when Google will fix it.

• ncguy

I don't think it's the same thing or even a more severe case.  Mine isn't related to calls dropping at all.  My wifi calls never drop.  There is a hard ping going on just to see if cell is present that has nothing to do with the wifi signal.  The problem is why it's doing that check.

• tidbits

If you say.

• tidbits

You say wifi calling label isnt there. That means you are not connected to wifi calling. Natural behavior is to look for cellular at that point. Since it is on airplane or low cellular signal the call fails.

That bug when it drops it will never connect again until a reset happens. Extreme cases it won't connect from the start which you are experiencing

Anyway best of luck to you. Hope your problem gets fixed sooner than later.

• tidbits

FYI I never said weak wifi signal. I said your wifi will drop. There is a difference.

• jeremyswitzer

Came here with the same problem. Didn't really find any answers. So I tried restarting again and then I went to "Settings > Wireless & networks > More > Cellular networks" and turned "Data roaming" ON.

That seemed to do the trick for me. It started showing "T-Mobile WiFi Calling" as the operator while I was still in airplane mode. I'm not 100% sure that this was the problem, because disabling data roaming doesn't to stop me from being able to make WiFi calls now, but I thought I would share.

• drnewcomb2

Seems that on the 6P, if you root the phone, you will forever get a warning message at boot-up. Have not heard anything about rooting the 5X yet.

• catfish121

Does the mobile hotspot (tethering) work on your new Nexus 5x?